Sponsored by:

If you have a home lift, plz. step in

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Dark Syde
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I bought my lift Saturday and new garage addition started framing today. I have an existing 2 car 24x32 garage. I am adding a new bay, 14x32 with 12' ceiling. Most of my ideas for the design have come from this forum. I am using a rollup door rather than a track door. My new third door is 10x10, so I should be able to get anything in there!! My existing garage is a daily driver use. I wanted a shop that I could do some work in. I have stick walls as of today!!!
Brad, keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
z06 hellcat
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slotcar
Any particular problem you experienced?
yea,the problem was i ordered a lift waited 3 months to get it,asked for my money back,they wouldnt do that either,i bought it on a visa debit card,so visa refunded my money!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
MR.WaynesWorld
Le Mans Master

Location: The real question is; When you turn your car on, does it return the favor..
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Rotary makes the coolest lift in the world. But it for working on cars, not just stacking them.

Its a t-post that goes IN the ground, and its made specifically for low cars/corvettes. It lifts just as high, and in the same postitions as any other 2 post.

Its 100% self contained inground.

BUT.....Its like 8 grand..
Attached Images   

Last edited by Jeff @ TPE; 03-03-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
LMBZ4ME
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2 cents;

1. Good or bad experiences with a particualr company/reccomendations? Bought my lift from http://www.gesusa.com/ges4less/

2. Type of lift? Bend Pak HD9
3. Regrets, things you wished you had done differently? None

4. How is the space on a typical two car garage, width? Would it be better to put the lift in the middle? (yes, the wife is letting me dedicate the garage to my projects, ain't she cool?) No. I would recommend putting the lift on one side of the garage or the other. You should be able to park another car along side your lift very easily.

5. How does your overhead garage door work and clearences? Can you still use your automatic opener? Does the door need to be down to raise the car? Would barn style doors be better? I had my garage door moved closer to the ceiling (about 3 inches) and installed a jackshaft opener. It works great is installed on the torsion bar. This allows maximum overhead clearance.
6. Anyone recess the lift in the concrete floor? (Not sure if that is even possible?) Not me.
7. Anything I missed or need to consider? I need to pick up my lift at the local shipping yard as they would not deliver to a home address. I rented a trailer where they were easily able to load it up using a fork lift.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
scottyo
Instructor

Love my 4 post lift. Great storage maker and for oil changes and minor wrenching on my 71 camaro. Awsome for getting the cars to the right height for applying the Zaino without hurting the old back.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies everyone, your input is appreciated. I'll post up which way I decide to go. Not moving to the new house for another month or so, got time to plan it out.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonsai
I bought my lift Saturday and new garage addition started framing today. I have an existing 2 car 24x32 garage. I am adding a new bay, 14x32 with 12' ceiling. Most of my ideas for the design have come from this forum. I am using a rollup door rather than a track door. My new third door is 10x10, so I should be able to get anything in there!! My existing garage is a daily driver use. I wanted a shop that I could do some work in. I have stick walls as of today!!!
Brad, keep us posted.
Photos! Start taking photos.

Start a thread when completed and post start to finish photos.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
MagneticRed1977
Racer

Old 03-05-2008, 12:03 AM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by fireman591
That is awesome!!!
After the cut out,how thick is the concrete that the lift sits on?
Is the concrete connected in any way to original slab (IE Re-bar)

I am thinking about doing this in my garage.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Well there's lots of good thoughts here...but I have to put in my 2cents worth, even though a couple just want enough height for a small lift and a Corvette.

The "biggest mistake you can make" ...over all others is cutting cost when planning ceiling height.

There are many of us that have done that and really regret it....or have previously built buildings that can't be changed. Do a search for threads that have done major reconstruction to move rafters, door hangers and many things just to gain a few inches of ceiling height.

Any other mistake can be lived with...but lack of ceiling height can be expensive, if not impossible, to remedy later..and doesn't cost much extra when building a new structure.

I have a 10' ceiling and a hobby shop lift. I hate it...
Just saying,
Happy trails...Stan

........................................ .......

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-09-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,320 Likes on 992 Posts

Dear Stan,

While I'm sure the members you're speaking to in the thread appreciate your feedback, it was likely an answer they could've used 11yrs ago when they were asking. I'm thinking your insight may be a little late to the party.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm..
I didn't look at the date, just got and e-mail on the thread and thought it was current? I don't know what's going there....
I've been late before but never that late...especially to a party...LOL!
Thanks for waking me up from my nap...
...Stan
Old 02-10-2019, 02:27 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,320 Likes on 992 Posts

Back to bed Stan, back to bed...lol. Sleep it off buddy.

Hey...it happens...everyone has resurrected a dead thread or two in life. That search will get ya sometimes.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=
I have a 10' ceiling and a hobby shop lift. I hate it...
Just saying,
Happy trails...Stan
........................................ .......[/QUOTE]

Mind sharing what you hate exactly? I just bought maxjax with 9 foot ceilings, and would be pretty disappointed to find it not needing my needs.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Everything...
...........but mostly because I can't stand up under a lift without stooping.

Most two post lifts need more height than what I have for the top crossbar...which you have to have if you want open floor space under the lift to roll a oil pan or transmission jack, with unobstructed floor space.
Lifts with the bottom cross panel...have the crossover in exactly the wrong place for anything ...including standing.

I have a nice Eagle 6ft. tall scissor lift that is about as good as it gets with a low ceiling...but I still pull transmissions on the floor if I have to pull one. (not as bad as it sounds ..if you have a professional transmission jack...in fact easier in some cases.)

I have expanded my shop from 30x40 to 50x40...which is just a 20' add on...but raising the roof/ceiling is a lot bigger deal.

I'd give 20 grand for two more feet in height (I'm at 10' now)...but at 70 years old I think I'll just leave it be....I've made do over 20 years like it is.

I have a double wide 40X40 shed for my boat and diesel motorhome. If I get rid of the boat..I may just get a 10K, 2 or 4 post and put it on the boat side of the open shed.

I'd like to be able to do a little exhaust work...and be able to powerwash the underside of a vehicle. The weather would play a factor there...but would be usable 8 months out or the year in Texas and probably more. Not that I use one real often any more anyway.

........................................ ......

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-10-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a Mohawk 10,000 lb lift. I first had a Mohawk 7,000 lb lift, but it would not support my Ford Excursion.
Make sure you have at least 4,000 psi concrete. Make the footers at least 12" deep and the footprint should be twice the size of the lift's.
Make sure your ceiling height is at least 12' high.
Use either a roleup door or a sidewinder.
For a bunch of info on this subject, go to garage journal.com.
Good luck.
Spaggs

Get notified of new replies

To If you have a home lift, plz. step in

Old 02-10-2019, 11:23 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a 4 post made by tuxedo as most China ones. Its 8000 pound capacity. It works fine and plugged into 110. Have 11 foot ceilings.

Last edited by tabbruzz; 02-10-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM
WRTHW8
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Bendpak 7k lift. 9 1/2' ceiling. Building a new house now going with 11' ceiling. Raised the door in the 3rd stall to the ceiling so I don't have to worry about hitting the car when its up. The test will be when I finally get moved in a month.
The following users liked this post:
Not4spd (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Spitfire Mk1
Formula 1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a Rotary two post lift. As mentioned earlier, you need dense and deep concrete for proper support.

I like the ability to work fully underneath the car. Only hassle with multiple cars is finding proper jacking point, lining arms properly, and if low car, need to drive over ramps. If was to do again - would recesse into floor.

Quick Reply: If you have a home lift, plz. step in