Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain, "low milage vettes" to me, please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 24K on a 2004. I've accounted for 10k of that in the last 19 months, and a couple thousand of that is from road trips to Maxton, NC, Atlantic City, and home from Marietta, GA where I bought it.

It's not a DD and I've only driven it 2 times in the past 6 weeks as the weather has been crappy and salt all over the roads.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Low milage is relative. I have a C4 vert (red/blk/blk) with 43,000 miles and only comes out in good weather and I have a 00 vert (yellow/blk/blk) with 74,000 miles that I use more often. Both are NOT DD's as I have a "work" car which is provided by my company and my wife drives a 05 Jeep Liberty. I enjoy spending time in the garage "tinkering" with my cars and I view this as my hobbie and yes I do enjoy driving them on the weekends and in the summer going to car shows. If my company did not provide me with a car I would use my 00 vert as my DD. Just my take on this thread, but to each his own.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

I still don't understand why someone would own a beautiful car like the Corvette and only drive it 1000 miles a year! I have a lot of friends up here who only drive their Corvettes in the summer and only on the weekends, but still manage to rack up 10 or 15,000 miles a year!

I drive mine daily, including the winter, and put about 17-18k a year on it. I bought it used in August 2004 with 31k on it and it now has 90k on it. I don't give a hoot about resale value since I don't plan on selling it, and actually can't wait to see the odometer click over the 100k mark and the 200k mark and so on!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

My vette is strictly a weekend toy. I commute by train everyday and I have a beater to run errands etc. In fact, the vette is basically a forum events vehicle. Yet, I manage to put about 10,000 miles a year on it!! Alot of hard miles too, including cruises, runs, drag racing events, road course events and the occassional closed highway top speed runs. Have I enjoyed my vette in the 6 years I've owned her? Hell YEAH!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by steve8
It just like a lot of mods, do what suits you.
There are plenty of what I consider horrendously ugly things done to cars here, but so long as that is what the owner wants/likes, who cares?
If someone asks me my opinion, I'll tell them if I don't like it.
I have an 04 vert with 13k on it, and that's all I have time for. I wish I could drive it a little more, but I seem to be stuck at that 4-5k/year right now.
I do agree with you though on the ultra low mileage cars, but again, it's their money.
I bought my 04 new, but I may look for one of these low milers next time around?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex1217
My vette is strictly a weekend toy. I commute by train everyday and I have a beater to run errands etc. In fact, the vette is basically a forum events vehicle. Yet, I manage to put about 10,000 miles a year on it!! Alot of hard miles too, including cruises, runs, drag racing events, road course events and the occassional closed highway top speed runs. Have I enjoyed my vette in the 6 years I've owned her? Hell YEAH!!!!
Now that's what I'm talking about!

It's truly sad to see so many unloved Corvettes that spend so much time parked in their garage instead of being raced and cruised! People think I take mine to the other extreme by subjecting it to harsh winter driving, but I see it another way: I just don't enjoy driving other cars! The only time I don't drive my Vette is in heavy snow storms.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM
silverbullit99
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My C5 is one of 4 vehicles, It's not a daily driver, it just a fun car !
Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
glide
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19

Originally Posted by silverbullit99
My C5 is one of 4 vehicles, It's not a daily driver, it just a fun car !
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Z06-Gator
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine as a weekend ride and a nice weather ride and that's what it is. I already have a DD truck. I also have two 4WD's, a boat, and an ATV that I like to play with from time to time as well. To each their own on how they use their ride. If you bought it as a DD, that's great. If you bought it to cruise on the weekends and go to car shows and such, that's just as cool. I choose to baby mine but that's my preference to do so. I don't plan on selling her anytime soon and I am very pleased that the first owner (only 3800 on the clock) treated her the same way that I still do.

Last edited by Z06-Gator; 02-27-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My vert is a toy and a hobby - definitely not transportation although I drive it every nice day I can. I still manage to put about 10k/year on it and I'll put about 15k on my CTS.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

I have a '03 Harley FLTRI Road Glide that I bought new. It has only 3200 miles on it! When I drive the Vette my friends say, "Why aren't you riding the Road Glide?" (or my chopper, or my boat, or my hot rod, or my Jeep, or my truck, or any of my other toys). I have enough stuff that my toys stay low mileage (or hours).

So to answer the question, each vehicle has a purpose and gets used primarily for that purpose. Sometimes I ride, sometimes I boat, sometimes I go off road, sometimes I go dirt biking, sometimes I go to hot rod runs, and sometimes I cruise in the Vette. You only have so many "play" hours and mine get spread over different activities. Heck, sometimes I do stuff that is totally unrelated to motor vehicles (I know that's a shocker! ).

If the Vette was my only toy (or even my only vehicle) I'm sure I'd drive it a lot more. But I don't think I'd ever have a Vette as an only car. I always advise people to not make their play car their only car, especially if you are going to mod it. Nothing worse than starting a mod and not finishing before you have to go somewhere (or screw it up and disable your DD! ).

Oh yeah, one more plus about not using it daily, every time I get it in it's like having a new car!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

See It All The Time.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm a collector of things. I like having several of any one item so I can keep one nice while I use the other. It's hard to do this with cars because they are so expensive. If I could afford it, I would buy 2 identical brand new Corvettes and keep one with 0 miles while I drive the other.

Call me strange, I just like having 2. I collect high end 1/10 scale remote control cars and have several "shelf queens" that are new built and will never get driven while their identical twins get the wheels bashed off them.

I can get enjoyment from something by simply possessing it. I don't have to use it. Again, call me strange if you want but I'm willing to bet there are lots of people on this forum that know very well exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:06 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone who sits on any C5 with the hopes of raking in a premium should talk to an owner of a '96 Grand Sport with less than 1000 miles on them. '96 GSs with no miles are a dime a dozen on the auction block.

That said, many responses I've seen so far mention weekend driver, one of many vehicles owned, etc.

So a bunch of us have pretty good reasons not to have big miles on them. But if anyone is holding to low or no mileage C5s waiting for the big profits, let us know how that works out for you.

Oh, and for the record, mine's a DD. Can hardly wait till I'm in it again ...

s'noJob
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM
rcarl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankyG
Down here I can only drive my car like 5~6 months per year and its not my DD so I only drive on weekends. that why its only as 22000 on it 2002 Z06

If down here is New Brunswick, where is up there?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm late into this discussion; but I ask the OP to consider this...

You're not really asking " why some owners don't drive their cars. ...I see, 99 with 9,000 miles, 01 with 4,500 and so on. For the record I have an 02 with 54,000 miles and it is running better now than ever."

what you're really asking is:

"why are people different than me? Why would anyone want to be different than me? More people should be like me and do things for the reasons I would."

Here's a suggestion; accept that people are different than you... and that difference doesn't equate to a problem... instead it praises freedom.

Instead of wondering why your neighbor is different than you; get down on your knees and thank the All Mighty that you live in a country where you can be different than your neighbor.

We've all got our reasons for chosing our own specific paths in life; and they are all equally valid.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 02-27-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

You're not really asking "why why some owners don't drive their cars. ...I see, 99 with 9,000 miles, 01 with 4,500 and so on. For the record I have an 02 with 54,000 miles and it is running better now than ever.

"why are people different than me? Why would anyone want to be different than me? More people should be like me and do things for the reasons I would."

Here's a suggestion; accept that people are different than you... and that difference doesn't equate to a problem... instead is praises freedom.

Instead of wondering why your neighbor is different than you; get down on your knees and thank the All Mighty that you live in a country where you can be different than your neighbor.

We've all got our reasons for chosing our own specific paths in life; and they are all equally valid.
Right on! I saw this somehwere:

If we all liked the same things we would all be banging your woman!

Get notified of new replies

To Someone explain, "low milage vettes" to me, please.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Tom337
Racer

My Car is stored 6 months out of the year, the main reason is because of the weather. Car has 25K on it. The nice part its like Christmass all over again, first of May. I live in Upstate NY.Last big storm dumped 45 inches of snow in less than 24 hrs.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I bought mine to drive it when I wanted to, not when someone else wanted me to
Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
INTRUBL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

You're not really asking " why some owners don't drive their cars. ...I see, 99 with 9,000 miles, 01 with 4,500 and so on. For the record I have an 02 with 54,000 miles and it is running better now than ever."

Here's a suggestion; accept that people are different than you... and that difference doesn't equate to a problem... instead it praises freedom.

Sorry, you didn't even come close to the target. Yes , I'm really asking "why some owners don't drive their cars", because they are, different than me. Got some pretty interesting stories and I understand a little better now, isn't that the reason for participating in this forum?

Quick Reply: Someone explain, "low milage vettes" to me, please.