Sponsored by:

[Z06] high mileage modded Z06s

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

H/C '01 Z with 85K and drive it like I stole it almost everyday.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5_4_me
Yeah, alot of people think Corvettes are meant to sit there and look fast while sitting still. Oftentimes this sitting takes place in a garage and/or under a carcover. Others take them out and drive them more often than once a week. Some daily drive their Vettes. I think it goes to show what an amazing car Chevrolet has built. One that is revered for its looks, as well as for its performance. Kick ***.
Anyway, back on topic:
I bought my 2001 QS Z06 back in August '07, for a fair price. It was being sold by the original owner. The car had ~67K on the odometer back then, which averages to about 10K miles per year. It was a garage-kept, dealer-maintained San Diego car. The car is still mostly stock and has 75K now, and she runs like a champ. My point is that I feel mileage is only one measure of car's condition. I knew that I would end up putting some miles on the car, although I do NOT drive the car daily or commute with it, with choice exceptions, of course. I had been a bit worried about the odometer clicking past 75,000 miles. I'm not certain why, but I think it has to do with what Ryan L said:

Somehow, those of us that actually put some mileage on our Corvettes are made to feel that we are doing something wrong. I do not like that way of thinking. I like the school of thought that says:
"These cars were made to be driven, and driven hard, quite often."
I think an old chap named Zora would agree.
Point is, H.A.R.T LS6Z06: the answer to your question is YES. There are a fair number of C5Z06 owners that have some miles on their cars. Just keep your eyes and ears out for the one you can make yours.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

2002 MY 118k miles, bone stock
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM
turk2gk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought if u put some new headers, new cam, and heads, on an engine it would be almost new. Right? I'm not really sure i mean say you have 100k miles on your stock headers cam and heads and u get some brand new heads, cams, and headers with zero miles wouldnt that b better than having the stock parts
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Vette Dream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcd58

I double-agree.

These things are purpose built! I put 17K on my old C5Z in only two summers. The car saw redline almost every chance I had, and I dragged it at the track at least 100 times. She never complained once!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
aris
Racer

Originally Posted by turk2gk
I thought if u put some new headers, new cam, and heads, on an engine it would be almost new. Right? I'm not really sure i mean say you have 100k miles on your stock headers cam and heads and u get some brand new heads, cams, and headers with zero miles wouldnt that b better than having the stock parts

well not quite. the bottom end of the motor is the part that matters most on high mileage cars (and 60k is NOT high mileage). the rings and some seals on the bottom end are what you need to worry about.

i bought my car with 55k on it, and im now a little over 60k. i drive the car every single day, rain or shine, and plan on continuing that way until i can afford to pull it apart and rebuild it. like several other people have said, a Z06 was INTENDED to be driven hard, and to see track time.

I plan on buying a cam, longtubes and new intake mani very soon. so i guess we shall see how the motor holds!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 PM
armysoldierboy
Racer

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
We human beings are a funny bunch. Some of you feel guilty about putting too many miles on your ZO6 while some of us feel guilty about not driving them enough.
Jeff
I feel guilty when I don't drive mine its like im letting her get any exercise
Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Big Kidd
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, here it is on the cover of this magazine. This is the modded high mileage (130K) Z06 I was speaking of in my earlier post. You can read all about it in the May issue of VETTE.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] high mileage modded Z06s