Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College And Corvette Dont Mix!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
kevin40zx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see where your coming from man. In all the years I went to school I drove my Vette only a handful of times (I commuted). I usually get so worried about it I can hardly concentrate in class. My advice would to get a beater not another expensive car. What about an older 5.0? Or IROC Z28? Personally I drove a 93 300ZX.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a Corvette what could possibly happen to it? Sure it COULD get keyed but that doesn't mean it will. If you use a little bit of brains when you park the chances of anything happening to it are no greater than any other time you drive it.

Not only that, but in college you spend most of your time walking everywhere, unless you go to a school without a real campus.

If you take car of your car you will be fine. On my campus there are Corvettes, M3s, M5's, etc. everywhere to be found, and I go to school in Idaho.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Vettelover1990
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

yea but my Mustang is gonna be an 05 probably and people dont look at it the same way. But thanks guys.

Say i didnt get the mustang, what do u feel about a 95 Eclipse?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:57 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Drive the crappiest car you can find...trust me. It will get door dinged. Then dinged again and again. Probably keyed a few times too. Hmm, that seems proper treatment for a Mustang though.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
JJ 86
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
It's a Corvette what could possibly happen to it? Sure it COULD get keyed but that doesn't mean it will. If you use a little bit of brains when you park the chances of anything happening to it are no greater than any other time you drive it.

Not only that, but in college you spend most of your time walking everywhere, unless you go to a school without a real campus.

If you take car of your car you will be fine. On my campus there are Corvettes, M3s, M5's, etc. everywhere to be found, and I go to school in Idaho.
I see countless more expensive cars on campus everyday. Just use common sense where and how you park and you'll most likely be fine. BTW, If you want a daily driver it really doesn't matter what you get as long as you're happy with it.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt parking 'smartly' is going to make a difference, if someone wants to vandalize it they will. You can park 5 miles away in an empty parking lot and somebody WILL park beside you.
Like that commercial..
Kinda hard to anticipate who is gonna park beside or near you when your there for 8 hours. People come and go.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:41 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I went to college from 1968 to 1972 with a 1964 Corvette, no problem.
Sir, times have changed just a little bit since then. Heck, back then in most towns, you could still leave your doors unlocked at night.

As for being concerned that something might happen to your car at school; I don't blame you a bit. Shoot, I won't even take my car to Wal-Mart or any other shopping center for fear of what might happen. Get the cheapest, beat-up POS you can find. Or drive the 'Vette to shcool. It's your choice. To me, getting another different, nice car doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 PM
jmliles
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my vette in college and loved it. If someone is going to mess with your car, they're going to mess with it regardless of whether it's in a college parking lot, next to an apartment, by a house, at a restaurant, or anywhere else.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If they keyed a Trans Am, what makes you think they won’t vandalize the Mustang? You obviously care about your cars, so I would get a beater. A$$holes seek out nice cars to vandalize, I don’t care how careful you are.

Last edited by Johnny_B_Good; 01-30-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
TheLegacy81
Racer

hey, you need extra curricular activities as well and the Vette will help
Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Tyler valo
Think of it this way....College = negatively charged chick magnet, Corvette = positively charged chick magnet. College + Corvette = TON of hot college girls!
There you go
Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I completely agree with your thinking. If you want to keep your Corvette in pristine condition, I wouldn't chance taking it to College. For some reason I find that there are a lot of people that like to "Hate" on Corvettes. It is terrible. Others said it is only a car and to get insurance, but it is still a PITA to have to go through getting repairs because some other Jack A$$ decided he wanted to mess with your car. Out of all the cars I have owned, the 2 Corvettes have been the most targeted cars. I have had someone run over the hood of my 88 Vert with a Truck, Urinated on the hood of it, Spit on the side window, and found foot prints across the top of the back of it. All in separate incidences and locations. With my 00 Vert I am much more cautious on where it goes and where I park it .
Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive mine to college about twice a week, and people do notice it. As for there being much more expensive cars out in the college's parking lot, yes there are. I've seen hummers, bimmers, mercedes, a porsche, you name it. Just watch how you park because those double parking will give you a custom pinstriping to the side of your car; believe me I know from experience on the stang.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
bjwhite33
Instructor

I would have never taken mine to college if I had it while I was in school....Of course I lived on campus all four years and I would have been more worried about parking it outside under sap dropping trees than vandalism. If I had commuted though it would have been a different story I would have driven it every day.

I do like the new mustangs and wouldn’t mind having one in addition to my vette, but if you are going to keep the vette I personally would get something 4 door to go along with it so that you can you haul more people and stuff while in college.

Either way good luck in school it’s a blast.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Originally Posted by mtm87tx
i drive my Z06 to school, its not a big deal at all.. someone will mess up a new mustang as fast as a C5 anyway... both are nice cars
Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Wow, 17 and has a Vette wish I had one when I was 17

The Eclipse is a decent ride if you can find one that hasn't been riced to death.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Tyler@StealthVettes
Pro

i drive my vette to school everyday! And to the people who said corvette=girls is totally right! haha
dude, dont worry about it, I have an $$$EXPENSIVE$$ paintjob too, and im not worried about it...In college, all the retards that would do stupid, foolish things arent going to college! So you dont have to really worry too much. Students are plenty more worried about studying for classes than out looking for cars to key up!...

do what you want, but I do it everyday with no worries!

Get notified of new replies

To College And Corvette Dont Mix!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM
MemphisBlu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tyler valo
Think of it this way....College = negatively charged chick magnet, Corvette = positively charged chick magnet. College + Corvette = TON of hot college girls!

This outweighs all other reasons not to take it. But, I would not take any car to college the first year. I will be imposing this rule on my daughter next year.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheap small pickup. That way if you need to haul parts for the Vette later you can.

Seriously have you looked at Distance Learning classes. I've been taking them and never have to go on campus. As for mid terms and finals, they are proctored exams and you can do that at a local library. I graduate end of this semester. It works great.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM
LT4Justin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by torchdvette
In college, all the retards that would do stupid, foolish things arent going to college! So you dont have to really worry too much. Students are plenty more worried about studying for classes than out looking for cars to key up!...

do what you want, but I do it everyday with no worries!

You are correct. Absolutely nobody does stupid, foolish things in college.

Quick Reply: College And Corvette Dont Mix!