Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transporting Vettes Cross Country ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Andy64
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting Vettes Cross Country ?

Question to those who have moved cross country and have multiple vehicles. Did you drive them to your new home state, drive 1 and transport others, etc. We have 2 cars (mine is a 2004 ZO6 and my Wife's is a Minivan) and will be moving from Long Island NY to Clayton NC within the next several weeks. My original plan was to leave my ZO6 with a relative here, drive down with the wife and our 2 Dogs (1 large Lab Mix and 1 Sheltie whose large for the breed) in the Mini-Van, leave them there to start setting up, fly back up to NY to get my ZO6 and drive it down myself. This would be cheaper and would keep the ZO6 in my own control. However, my wife broke her ankle in several places and required surgery last week putting a severe kink into our plans as we really don't have much in the way of family or friends in NC yet (at least ones physically close enough to impose upon). She cannot do much and cannot put any weight on it for a good 6 to 8 weeks or so at best).

I am curious if anyone who frequents this forum have moved cross country and shipped a car such as a Vette/ZO6 or a similar prized car and has a recommendation of a trustworthy auto transportation company and an idea of what it might cost to ship from Suffolk County, Long Island to Clayton NY ?

On another note, any C5 ZO6 owners that reside in or around Clayton NC out there ? Curious who you might use to service (mechanical - I have extended GM warranty) and to buy/install tires in the area (I will need a set of new tires once down there - which ones I am still debating)

Thanks in Advance to all responses

Last edited by Andy64; 01-14-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been in the trucking business for a long time.
There are many high end auto transporters out there that the drivers are use to loading/handling very expensive cars.
The company I am leased to, Fed Ex Custom Critical, has a car hauling fleet you might start there.
One of your choices will be if you want an enclosed trailer or one of the open type.
Coming from NY to NC would be a good traffic lane so you should get a good rate. There are a lot of companies that run up and down the east coast to Florida. Be sure to make sure everything is included in the quote, fuel surcharge etc. I think you are out on Long Island, there will probably be an extra charge for that. Make sure the driver makes a good inventory of all the 'damages', scratches, etc. Don't sign anything blank.
When you get the car look it over very good, don't get into a big hurry.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Later,
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had several cars shipped to CO from out of state. I would only recommend 2 transporters. Sure, there are others out there but the 2 i've used have been excellent.

Gary Almond exotic transports and Intercity transportation. Intercity just transported the Z I bought 4 weeks ago from california. Here is one of their trucks.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've meet one of the drivers from Intercity down in Florida a few years ago. He had a totally tricked out truck with murals of hisstreet rods painted on the sleeper.

Andy 64
You have a PM from me.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
bobsride
Racer

Bobsride here.
I used Thomas Sunday. Manager is Charlene, FANTASTIC, service.

I had my '04 delivered to Valley Stream. PERFECT!!

Can not say enough good things about them
If you need more info please PM me
Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
droq172
Pro

Originally Posted by Get Bit
I have had several cars shipped to CO from out of state. I would only recommend 2 transporters. Sure, there are others out there but the 2 i've used have been excellent.

Gary Almond exotic transports and Intercity transportation. Intercity just transported the Z I bought 4 weeks ago from california. Here is one of their trucks.

I don't think I have ever seen a towterhome towing cross country vehicles. With the exception of RaceCars. This is actually a very good idea.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a very nice rig, just like most of them. This was a husband / wife couple who delivered it, they were very, very cool people, he unstrapped it, she backed it out. I was very impressed with them. The truck was full at the time, there was another vette in front of mine and that red one above it was a Ferrari. Did not ask what the other were although he said he has hauled every exotic you can imagine.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,068 Likes on 2,041 Posts

Hey Andy

I recommend Plycon Transportation in Kings Park, New York.

I used them to ship a Corvette that I sold to a Forum member in CA and they were great. Took excellent care and had new equipment. The buyer was very pleased with the service and the price.

They also have a Greensboro, NC location. I PM'd the details.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 891 Likes on 613 Posts

I used "Horseless Carriage" for my vette from Los Angeles to NYC, it is a closed box and they took nice care of her. Not a single mile more on the odemeter when it was dropped off, door to door service. It did cost me though. Was not cheap. I can't recall who we used to ship the Land Rover, but it too showed up in the same condition we shipped it, just a little dirty. I looked up the carrier companies online, then did Better Business Bureau research to see if their were complaints and law suits.

If I were you, I would just drive it. NY to NC is not a long drive.Around 9hours/500 miles if memory serves me correctly. You can do it in part of a day. Your wife will barely miss you, plus you can enjoy some of the scenery.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Novat_99
Drifting

I used InterCity Lines to transport my Z16 from Naples, FL to Bucks County, PA. ....no hassle, no worries, car handled professionally by professionals

And...finally home!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 AM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intercity Lines is very professional. The people who pick up your car also deliver it...no brokers, no gypsies. Mostly husband/wife teams. Ran into them again at Barrett-Jackson two weeks ago. They are the transport sponsor.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM
only59
Pro

Great photo's...

Get notified of new replies

To Transporting Vettes Cross Country ?

Quick Reply: Transporting Vettes Cross Country ?