Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM
cobrakraiger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Bad for engines??

Found this on a different site that I frequent
No K@N filters, ever.

I worked for race teams for years. One Toyota Atlantic team I worked on the driver thought the car was lossing power from the start of a race to the end. So we did leak down checks when we got the new engines in. 3% leak down- New. At the end of a race we checked it again and we got 29% leak down. So we sent the head to get the valves done and checked the leak down when the head returned. 4%- Leak down. At the end of the next race 31%- leak down. So we put three dabs of grease down stream of the air filter. "K&N" The next engine came in with 3%-leak down new. And at the end of the race 32%- leak down and the dabs of grease were full of grit. So we changed the filter to a oiled fome filter. 3%- leak down new and at the end of the next race? 18%-leak down. Better still not good. So we made a new air box and used a Mustang GT stock air filter. 3%-leak down new at the end of the next race? 1%- leak down yes I said "1%". The rings bed in and the engine seals up. We went from changing a engine at 300 miles with 29 to 34% leak down to. Changing the engine at 800 miles with 7% leak down.

So the bottom line is. You mite gain a little more power (1 to 2hp) but it will not last long and before you know it you will have a LOT less.
I work on 944s only and when I tear down a 944 engine that has had a K&N filter the cylinders have a LOT of scores from dirt that got through the filter.
If you dont beleve me do the grease test your self. Take out the filter and put a dab of grease in the air box. Then put your K&N filter in and dive the car for a few weeks and pull the filter out and check the dab of grease.

Good Luck Mike F

Quote:
"You are not alone. I too noticed the same thing on my former 98 Viper GTS. Alot of dirt seems to past threw the K&n's. This was during a complete breakdown of the engine. I no longer use K&N and stick with the stock filters...."

I was getting ready to put a K&N FIPK on my 2002 Z06 and someone showed me this. Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen? Now I'm a little nervous, I have always had a K&N FIPK on all my old cars but now I may get something else. Sorry if this is a repost,or if it is in the wrong section.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:46 PM
IM28702
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hit the dyno yesterday, and we found that my mass air was coated in oil from my K&N filters. From taking to the guy there, and my tuner, I am going back to paper....
Old 01-13-2008, 11:51 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good info from someone with experience.

I heard just awhile back on this forum that the K&N flows more air, but the paper filter filters better.

Your data seems to verify that.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by IM28702
I hit the dyno yesterday, and we found that my mass air was coated in oil from my K&N filters. From taking to the guy there, and my tuner, I am going back to paper....
If your Mass Air had oil on it, It isn't the filters fault, It was over oiled, You have to be careful, The K&N filter system is a great system, But you do have to be careful. In the past I used K&N with a SC and have never had a prob, You want to make sure you use the K&N filter cleaning kit and do just as it says... Spray oil is the only way to go.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 AM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bill K
If your Mass Air had oil on it, It isn't the filters fault, It was over oiled, You have to be careful, The K&N filter system is a great system, But you do have to be careful. In the past I used K&N with a SC and have never had a prob, You want to make sure you use the K&N filter cleaning kit and do just as it says... Spray oil is the only way to go.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 AM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FWIW- I Have mixed thoughts

I have several cars ( too many) - and some in the past with K&N Filters. I have reverted them all back to oem paper filters.

My current Z06 is completely stock except for a K&N Filter which came when purchased. More than likely I will get a paper oem ilter fo the Z06 too.

Here's my reasoning: The K&N add no real power and though supposedly last a lifetime must be kept clean and not over oiled.

OEM Paper filters changed regularly reportedly filter better and are cheap ( inexpensive).

So IMHO- why bother, stick with the paper elements and replaced once a year.

YMMV
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 AM
ls1vette97
Burning Brakes

When cleaning my twin flow intake with k&n's i always find the oil residue inside the intake and all over the MAF! I barely use any oil as well... How much filtering is effected if you don't use the oil at all?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you care about your engine (or at least it's life), don't use the K&N or some other oil wetted filter----stick with the paper.

In another life, I was responsible for the engineering of off-highway vehicles including farm tractors. There isn't anything worse for dust than a tractor pulling an implement at 5 mph with a 5 mph tail wind !! Paper was the only filter that would keep those engines running.

Here's also a link to some "independent" testing on air filters. Although it was done with filters for a diesel PU engine, the principles and findings would be similar if they used filters for our cars.

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Edit: The whole report is well worth reading, but for those of you with attention deficit disorder , here's an interesting statement from the report:

"In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons."

Last edited by 427435; 01-14-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1vette97
When cleaning my twin flow intake with k&n's i always find the oil residue inside the intake and all over the MAF! I barely use any oil as well... How much filtering is effected if you don't use the oil at all?
You'll just be screening out the rocks !!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 AM
ls1vette97
Burning Brakes

Are there any good "cone style" paper filters? I dont think I've ever seen any honestly...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been planning on changing my K&N back to the OEM for the last 3 months. I'm doing it tomorrow. Anyone want to buy my used K&N cheap?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
I've been planning on changing my K&N back to the OEM for the last 3 months. I'm doing it tomorrow. Anyone want to buy my used K&N cheap?
NO
Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill K

too much oil and it goes through. not enough and you get dirt going through
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 546 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Hmmm.....thanks for posting this. My car came with the K&N when I bought it. This makes me want to re-think my air filtration altogether.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 AM
cobrakraiger
Racer

Originally Posted by ls1vette97
Are there any good "cone style" paper filters? I dont think I've ever seen any honestly...
Yeah anyone know of any? I really want to run some sort of a CAI on my car but I really don't want to risk the motor.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
Hmmm.....thanks for posting this. My car came with the K&N when I bought it. This makes me want to re-think my air filtration altogether.
Mine came with K&N too, Ive never been a big fan of k&n, never really trusted its filtering capabilities.
Ive been wanting to switch it out for sometime.
Thanks for the info..
Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 AM
blkdevl
Burning Brakes

you have to remember some of us have no choice but to use a k&n type filter in boosted applications. if there is a cone filter that is paper i would like to know it! i know HKS has foam filters that can meet some needs!

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Bad for engines??

Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 AM
cobrakraiger
Racer

Originally Posted by blkdevl
you have to remember some of us have no choice but to use a k&n type filter in boosted applications. if there is a cone filter that is paper i would like to know it! i know HKS has foam filters that can meet some needs!
I have heard the foam ones are much worse than the K&N style becauses they come apart and can be sucked into the engine. I have no personal experience with foam filters, so this is all just stuff I have heard. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as far as a CAI
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 AM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

An interesting read, for sure. Just more "bling"?

RonJ ...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Interesting info, thanks.

Quick Reply: K&N Bad for engines??