Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 AM
only59
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a thread on "the other side" where some folks are looking for BADGES for C6 / Z51's...

I think the Badges are a nice touch but I believe history states that the badges came with the "out of the ordinary" cars...

Fuel Injection
ZR-1
Z06

and a few more too...

I guess I can't imagine every Corvette under the Sun with a Badge..

My C5 car has Badges..it came with them.

they say...

Z06

The Car Title and the Insurance card say

2001 Corvette Z06..

so at the end of the day, the Z06 is it's own Corvette.
IF someone wants a C6 , fine by me, they are cool..but they are NOT separated from the pack unless they are a Z06 C6...

C5 Z06..vs C6..?

we can compare specs all day long but at the end of the day one of them is a totally separate entity.

I also read on the other side where someone stated that the C5 Z06 was "LIKE" a Race Car..

Dave Hill told me it WAS a Race Car !

A few weeks back I told two 'Vette owning buddies that I bought another Corvette..both asked me what model.
I proudly said Z06. They both said.."WOW a Z06 " !

thats what I'm talkin' about...

thats the defining moment....

Last edited by only59; 12-30-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
EZ-Ryder
Intermediate

Default Great Thread!

Great information. I have had quite a few old muscle cars, trans ams, 442s, camaros, etc. I miss the feel of a true muscle car in modern sports cars. From reading this thread there is no doubt this spring I will be purchasing a C5 Z06 and not a C6. No offense to the C6 owners. I am not looking for refinement. I want ***** to the wall, screaming, hang on and shut up type feel. A feeling that you are in a RACE car not just another sports car. A raw power feeling. I miss that ever since I sold my trans am and my 442. I want to feel old school muscle in a modern powerplant/set up. Sounds like the C5 Z is what I need.
Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions!!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
vredvet
Racer

Default My humble experience

Traded my 02 Z06 for a 07 Z51 manual 1LT, 4 days later I called the dealer to get my C5Z back FOR MOST OF THE REASONS IN THE ABOVE POSTS. IT WAS SOLD! Trying to get that C5Z FEELING back, I had an oportunity to trade the 07 w/1k to a private party for a 06Z06 2LT w/2k and some more $. This lasted about 3 months, great going fast in a straight line, but the CONFIDENT FEELING of control on a twisty road was not there. Always a fear of the rear end going away under power. The drivers inability to keep the tires planted has led to many misfortunes posted at the other side. To make a long story short, gone is the C6Z Victoy Red Vet (vredvet) and just accuired, a 04 Z06 w/12k. What a fun car!. Oh Ya, with all that extra $ back, I bought my wife a red Cad STS for Christmas. She said I was a wise man...

Last edited by vredvet; 12-29-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 AM
only59
Pro

Originally Posted by vredvet
Oh Ya, with all that extra $ back, I bought my wife a red Cad STS for Christmas. She said I was a wise man...
ahh..Good move Grasshopper...
Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 AM
blakev45
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have my C5Z up for sale with intent of purchasing a base C6. After reading of all who have made the swtich back from a C6 I am seriously considering taking my car off the market.

This is a really good thread, thanks for the info/opinions guys.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
vredvet
Racer

Originally Posted by blakev45
I currently have my C5Z up for sale with intent of purchasing a base C6. After reading of all who have made the swtich back from a C6 I am seriously considering taking my car off the market.

This is a really good thread, thanks for the info/opinions guys.
Everones likes and needs are different, but it may be wise to rent or demo a C6 for a few days before selling your C5Z. A C6, even with Z51, will not give you the same ride or power of your C5Z. After I traded my C5Z, one of the first things that I noticed was that the C6 idle was only at a weak 600 rpm while my C5Z was at a strong 800 rpm. (Hot Cam) The C6 would rev to redline much slower than the C5. In fact the C5 was so fast that the needle would only get to 6 grand when the rev limiter hit. Not so with the C6. I personally like the looks of the C5 interior/dash better than the C6. I like old fasion key staters and electronics without funny electrical nosies and clicks. But, I like the body of the C6Z better than the C5Z. The C6Z, compared to the base C6, seems to be much better looking with the taller hood giving the car a more balanced look. Lack of power, light steering, hard shifting and cheap interior were to be corrected in 08. Some say not enough. Rememer your C5Z has Premium Bose. You have to upgrade twice to get it in the new C6. I like the slotcar turn-in feel of the C5Z. You have buy a C6Z to get the FE4 suspension. Do your homework!

Last edited by vredvet; 01-02-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Blooty
Drifting

Sold my 03 Z06 about 2 weeks ago. Getting an 07 Z06. Been driving my boyfriend's around...gotta say I miss the C5 Z06, though. Just a totally different driving experience.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mkiv808
$36500

The C5Z has better feel than the 2008 IMO. It just has a crappy steering wheel, that's all.
I like the C5Z steering wheel much better than that 3-spoke parts-bin wheel that GM is using in half their cars (from the $15k Cobalt to the $100k ZR-1).

My only real complaint is the seats. GM hasn't quite figured out that sports cars need good seats.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
TTC5Z
Racer

Interesting to read the comparos of C5Z vs C6 generation cars. We have all known for long time that the C5Z is much better at track than the C6 LS2 cars. The recent LS3 raises the bar ... but, track reports still suggest the Z has better times.

The C5Z also offers the better sportscar experience vs C6Z. I would never of thought so, but after 10 minutes of hard street driving I knew I preferred the C5Z's ride/attitude. I liked the C6's extra power/TQ, but not its taller gearing, and Caddy like ride.

I'm a big fan of TQ ..... so, instead of upgrading to C6Z .... I added some twins to the 5 series.

The new ZR1 will offer monstrous TQ/HP & looks fabulous. But since it is based on C6Z platform, it will probably have the more refined C6Z track feel. I can't wait to experience the braking it offers.

IMO, modifying the C5Z with H/C, Nitrous, or S/C - Twins will give you the best sportscar experience for the $.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv808
Unfortunately the C6Z suffers from all the negatives I outlined above. Same steering and lack of feedback.
That is why I didnt buy one, I bought a Viper and kept my C5Z, I'm just not a real bug fav of the C6, I do not like the open front end, that looks like a mouth, it looks cheap, the Z improved on the looks, but it still just didnt give me the wow factor I got what I saw the C5 Z, I like the hardtop, look, it made the car look different from the others. I was hoping the C6 Z would be a hardtop, when I found out it was the coupe, I canceled my order. And call me nuts but I like the pop-up lights. The C6 should have been called C5.5, its still a nice car but I will skip the 6th gen, and see what the C7 looks like, its not far away, maybe 3 or 4 years?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:25 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
That is why I didnt buy one, I bought a Viper and kept my C5Z, I'm just not a real bug fav of the C6, I do not like the open front end, that looks like a mouth, it looks cheap, the Z improved on the looks, but it still just didnt give me the wow factor I got what I saw the C5 Z, I like the hardtop, look, it made the car look different from the others. I was hoping the C6 Z would be a hardtop, when I found out it was the coupe, I canceled my order. And call me nuts but I like the pop-up lights. The C6 should have been called C5.5, its still a nice car but I will skip the 6th gen, and see what the C7 looks like, its not far away, maybe 3 or 4 years?
can't waitr for the C7 maybe they will put a real good steering rack in it! ...believe it or not the C4 had the best damn steering rack! just crap for a frame Hear that GM? read up on those old C4 steering rack blue prints you young engineer punks! God Love ya!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
Heh. In September I went looking for another Corvette. I had decided that a 2005-07 C6 would be the car for me. I had driven a bunch and was very serious about a black 2006 Z51 coupe. I even told the guy that I only had one more car to look at on my list, then I would be back to buy it. Ironically, that car was a C5 Z06 that I had included just to cover all the bases. I'm sure glad I did because I fell in love! The Z06 just fits me better...figuratively and literally. It is more racy and involved than the C6. It flaunts its cabin noise, blind spots, top-end hit and stiff ride instead of trying to be a Camry. The C6 is a superb car, no doubt, but just isn't as engaging. Needless to say, I ended up with a 2004 Z16 CE in the garage...

It's not to shabby-looking, either...
[IMG][/IMG]
thats just pretty........coming from someone with a Machine Silver 04 C5Z and C6 Z51 cars.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danziger
Heh. In September I went looking for another Corvette. I had decided that a 2005-07 C6 would be the car for me. I had driven a bunch and was very serious about a black 2006 Z51 coupe. I even told the guy that I only had one more car to look at on my list, then I would be back to buy it. Ironically, that car was a C5 Z06 that I had included just to cover all the bases. I'm sure glad I did because I fell in love! The Z06 just fits me better...figuratively and literally. It is more racy and involved than the C6. It flaunts its cabin noise, blind spots, top-end hit and stiff ride instead of trying to be a Camry. The C6 is a superb car, no doubt, but just isn't as engaging. Needless to say, I ended up with a 2004 Z16 CE in the garage...

It's not to shabby-looking, either...
[IMG][/IMG]
one of the best around
Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EZ-Ryder
Great information. I have had quite a few old muscle cars, trans ams, 442s, camaros, etc. I miss the feel of a true muscle car in modern sports cars. From reading this thread there is no doubt this spring I will be purchasing a C5 Z06 and not a C6. No offense to the C6 owners. I am not looking for refinement. I want ***** to the wall, screaming, hang on and shut up type feel. A feeling that you are in a RACE car not just another sports car. A raw power feeling. I miss that ever since I sold my trans am and my 442. I want to feel old school muscle in a modern powerplant/set up. Sounds like the C5 Z is what I need.
Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions!!
when I sold my c6 vert with magnetic ride, I purchased the z5z commemorative. The first corner I took gave me a huge smile on my face. The car also sounded like the old muscle cars, but was light years better in every way. I remember thinking,, "now this is what a vette is supposed to be like"
Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A nice write up. I went and test drove a C6Z06, while it was more refined and faster, it just didn't feel like it was faster. Hanging on to C5Z06 until the C7 comes out.........

I saw a maginzine with some CTS-V pictures. It had some damn nice looking Recaro seats..................Why the hell can't GM put those seats in the corvette or at least make them an option????????

I hope the C7 is total redesign, cause if its a re-hash of the C5 or C6(C5.5) then my money will be going to the Porsche or Lotus dealer.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
John La Bella
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5Z and the C6

Well I'll put my .02 or maybe .04 cents in. In 2004 I drove by my Chevy dealer and decided to test drive a Corvette for a potential retirement gift to myself. I had never owned a Corvette before. Had owned many Italian and English cars. I knew very little about earlier or then current model Corvettes. Drove all the base models and wasn't too impressed. Saw the Zo6 and asked to drive the car. Was immediately hooked. The feel was that the car was an extension of my body. After I convinced the wife that the purchase was necessary for my sanity (not an easy task), I took it home. Took it to Willow Springs and flung it around the corners. One issue, the seats had to go. No lateral support ! Installed Corbeau's. Perfect ! Then the C6's came out. Had to take a look. Could it be better than what I had? I had to find out!
For those that live near Las vegas for $10 at that time you could drive any model Vette around a roughly 1 mile course. It's kind of a marketing tool to let the public test GM cars in the hopes you will purchase one later. I hopped in the auto/manual C6 and buzzed around the track with a GM employee in the passenger seat. My impression, I remember it well, was that something was not "right!" I went for additional laps and came to this conclusion. The race car personality had been removed from the C6's. It was quieter, better fit interior, had gobs of low end torque, but it was like taking your sister to the dance instead of the hot "chick" down the street. It's a great straight line car but it doesn't say "drive me harder," or "lets see what we can do!" It kinda says "I'll get you there in comfort and with a minimum of external stimuli!" To each his own-Not taking a shot at the C6 just trying to define its"personality"
It's not hard to understand that some Vette owners would prefer the C6 over the C5Z and some the C5Z over the C6. It's a matter of taste and what you are looking for. I have rambled on too long. Will test drive the C6Z soon. It has to be done-however I have gotten a preview of the results for the Forum!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JRitt@StopTech
I've been trying to put a finger on what it is that defines the C5Z vs. the other sports cars I've driven on the street and track (for reference, working in the aftermarket industry has provided me with the opportunity to drive just about everything under the sun, stock and modified). The one thing I keep coming back to every time I pull my Z out of the garage...the car feels like it is absolutely full of tension at all times. When you're sitting there idling and the car gives that little quiver, or when you turn into a corner, the nose tucks, and you smile to yourself and think, "here we go." It always feels like it's just dying to push all other cars off the road or track and just rip. Raw, unfiltered, simplistic...they all work. I think I've come to the conclusion that tense is my word of choice for the car after roughly two years of ownership. I don't think I'll ever want another sports car unless it has that feeling when I drive it. It felt that way the first time I drove it, and it still feels the same every time. I love my C5Z.
I've driven C6 and C6 Z06...not sure if they have that same tension or not. The base C6 didn't seem to, and I was too dumbstruck by the C6 Z's torque to pay attention to anything else!

The Elise definitely has the same tense feeling I describe. After borrowing a friend's for a few days, and having driven them on the street and track, my overall analysis is that the Elise is a frantic little tin can...just like the C5Z is a piece of plastic stretched around a monster engine. The Elise is indeed alive though. If you like that type of feeling, you are going to love the Elise. It's a special little car that was designed and produced to meet a clear vision.
you have nailed it exactly. The regular c6 doesnt have that tension. the c6z does though. But the c5z has something special about it, especially the z16 commemorative. Its how a vette is supposed to feel, well at least for me anyway. Makes me smile just like you mentioned, every time I get in. Its a feeling I used to get as a kid when we went go carting.

Get notified of new replies

To My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch

Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
scramblerman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I will say after reading all the replies in this topic, this is one of the best threads in this forum!!!!

Nice to see a bunch of guys voicing their opinions without argueing. First time I have seen that.

I think that this thread should become a sticky in here!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

I think its because the c5z in all years is a jewel. Its one of those cars that no matter what you do as far as finding another car, and you can afford it, its worth to just keep the c5z around. I have both a c6z and a c5z commemorative. In so many ways I like the c5z better. It doesnt look dated, and is a terrific car. There are two roadtests on the internet about the z16 commemorative, that talk about how this particular model was improved even more on the nureburg test tracks, and it shows when you drive it. The fun factor is through the roof.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM
whomas
Intermediate

The first and only corvette I bought is 04 Z06. I have really fallen in love with it. I have driven older C4,C3 and the C6. Nothing compares to the feel and looks of the C5z. This was truly my dream car and I would never sell it or give it to my son's while I am alive. LOL

Quick Reply: [Z06] My experience of the C5Z to C6 switch