Get this crap. All 4 Tires... Toast

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by vincentjames501
Lol, I assume sarcastic in his writing, I guess not you?
Yes it was...thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Z06David
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the car wash a couple of weeks ago, and I looked down and saw nails and screws everywhere. I got lucky though. It really pissed me off because of the what if scenario.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:14 PM
vincentjames501
Burning Brakes

The bay was dark and wet and it was impossible to see them until I got out of the car.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked as a manager for a very large hotel chain. 850 rooms, retail shops, and a multi-level parking garage. We were slapped with claims and civil lawsuits from guests nearly on a daily basis. Vehicle vandalism, vehicle burglaries, vehicle damage, slips & falls, stolen personal items, etc. etc. We had law firm on retainer just to handle all these types of claims. It has nothing to do with "providing a safe emviroment for patrons". The lawsuits that did manage to make it to court, basically boiled down to "negligence". The court's rulings were as follows: 1. Was the owner/manager aware that the hazardous condition existed and was the owner.manager negligent by failing to take corrective action? 2. Should the owner/manager have known that this situation existed and were they negligent by not taking the appropriate action to correct the situation? The bottom line is that you need to be able to show "negligence" on the part or the person in charge of the property to win your case. If the owner/manager was not aware that the hazardous condition existed, then I would say that the court will probably not find them negligent in this situation. It would probably be best to try and work with the owner and come to an amicable solution between the two of you.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM
chazzvette
Racer

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative
No, but my parents did teach me to have a sense of humor....maybe you should take classes in that arena?
well said
Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

I would pursue their insurance as yours will likely consider this to be a maintenance issue unless you can prove intent on someone to damage your car. If they won't at least turn in the claim then go small claims.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:30 PM
BowtieDiva70
Safety Car

Originally Posted by b98
Find out who their insurance co. is and file a claim.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 PM
67 Nova
Advanced

Your insurance policy is not likely to cover something like this. Have you tried your tire dealer as a road hazard?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:17 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkman2008

That has Small Claims Court written all over it. Call Judge Judy!
Small claims court,they are responsible for what happens on their property,what if the car wash damaged the car?
Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
67 Nova
Advanced

There is a difference between a legal obligation and a moral obiligation.
If they knew the nails and screws were there and they did not clean them up then maybe they are legally obligated. What if you ran over them in there parking lot are they liable? Probably not.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Judy-Judy-Judy.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:52 PM
elctroman
Pro

i think since the washer it's self did not damage ur car ur s.o.l. you should have checked b4 you pulled in.sorry just my .02 cents worth
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
04BlueGoose
Racer

Originally Posted by Merlin02
I worked as a manager for a very large hotel chain. 850 rooms, retail shops, and a multi-level parking garage. We were slapped with claims and civil lawsuits from guests nearly on a daily basis. Vehicle vandalism, vehicle burglaries, vehicle damage, slips & falls, stolen personal items, etc. etc. We had law firm on retainer just to handle all these types of claims. It has nothing to do with "providing a safe emviroment for patrons". The lawsuits that did manage to make it to court, basically boiled down to "negligence". The court's rulings were as follows: 1. Was the owner/manager aware that the hazardous condition existed and was the owner.manager negligent by failing to take corrective action? 2. Should the owner/manager have known that this situation existed and were they negligent by not taking the appropriate action to correct the situation? The bottom line is that you need to be able to show "negligence" on the part or the person in charge of the property to win your case. If the owner/manager was not aware that the hazardous condition existed, then I would say that the court will probably not find them negligent in this situation. It would probably be best to try and work with the owner and come to an amicable solution between the two of you.
Based on this info above and the cost of new tires you might want to run an ad in the local paper(should be cheap enough maybe even free if you explain why you are doing this) requesting anyone that has had a similar thing happen to them at this car wash to contact you. Reason for doing this is to find out if they have had a problem before and what they did about it. I believe that would be NEGLIGENCE
Also I might let the District manager know that you will be doing this he might have a change of heart.
Let them know you have no intent of rolling over and going away on this issue.
I know I paid over a grand for my tires - that to me is some REAL money.

Last edited by 04BlueGoose; 12-20-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative
No, but my parents did teach me to have a sense of humor....maybe you should take classes in that arena?
Ya, remember that guy Borat went to for humor lessons? I hear he's pretty good.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 AM
vincentjames501
Burning Brakes

So I guess it comes down to can I prove negligence. Sigh! I need somebody smarter than I am, like a lawyer
Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Merlin02
I take your point and I can see the need for businesses to avoid frivolous claims. I can also see that the business owner is probably not the one who seeded the wash bay with nails.

What I see here though is different. The OP took his car to a car wash to clean it. Through a management failure to keep the area safe he suffered major damage. I'm no lawyer but he did nothing wrong and came away with a large bill for repair.

I still say its worth pressing the point at least with a number of follow up letters for starters.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,364 Likes on 14,014 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

What a way to ruin your day. Hope things work out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Get this crap. All 4 Tires... Toast

Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 AM
RTSVET
Safety Car

Are these tires runflats are non runflats? if they are non runflats take them and have them patched they patch tires all the time and then take them the bill and see if they will pay that. you wanting new tires is not going to happen especialy when they see the cost of tires for a corvette. How mush treat left on these tires?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe one would need to prove negligence...a a history of previous similar events and a faiiilure to put in place a procedure to check for nails/screws would suffice.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Rollin
Instructor

I would hope some SOB didn't put the nails there on purpose like the guy who was fired. Hope it was just a careless constuction worker. I can't imagin how mad you must have been. I would have been boiling.
Wish I could offer more than Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Get this crap. All 4 Tires... Toast