Sponsored by:

C5 jacket sew on emblem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 jacket sew on emblem

Does anyone know where I can get a C5 emblem to sew on a jacket, I got one off of ebay but its way to small. Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 09:40 PM
VETTE-DUDE
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a massive search, and ended up purchasing a basic C-5 sweatshirt and cutting the emblem off...Seems the vette stores
would sell them for clothes, Ecklers has them for the Vette itself..but that would be uncomfortable....Good Luck Gary
Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd take it to an embroidery shop.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Your Right Jim,

Many good shops have computer controlled machines that can do it any size, color and do it right!

p.s. pay the nice lady, those are VERY expensive machines!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Any Corvette emblem would be trademarked by the General, and most embroidery shops won't have the program/pattern unless they have purchased it. To reproduce it may be somewhat expensive, as they would have to scan it and digitize it. GM is notorious for going after anyone who reproduces it without permission.
I wish someone had some patches, though.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99mallett
Any Corvette emblem would be trademarked by the General, and most embroidery shops won't have the program/pattern unless they have purchased it. To reproduce it may be somewhat expensive, as they would have to scan it and digitize it. GM is notorious for going after anyone who reproduces it without permission.
I wish someone had some patches, though.
If you take a jpeg, bmp, tiff, psd or any other image file to the embroidery lady, you are taking a digitized image. All you have to do is put it on a CD, floppy or jump drive and give it to her. That's it. I repair the computers that run those machines for some of my customers and you won't believe what they charge to "digitize" a image. All they do is scan it and save it as an image file.

Now reproducing it without permission is something that could get your pants sued off of you, but as long as you're not mass producing the apparel, you could probably get away with it. Just don't make more that ONE.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 11-24-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
If you take a jpeg, bmp, tiff, psd or any other image file to the embroidery lady, you are taking a digitized image. All you have to do is put it on a CD, floppy or jump drive and give it to her. That's it. I repair the computers that run those machines for some of my customers and you won't believe what they charge to "digitize" a image. All they do is scan it and save it as an image file.

Now reproducing it without permission is something that could get your pants sued off of you, but as long as you're not mass producing the apparel, you could probably get away with it. Just don't make more that ONE.

Equity Management which is the group that monitors those trademarked logos can be extremely protective and aggressive when it comes to unauthorized use of the logos.

GM charges a hefty fee to license their logos. They also expect that the logos will be used only in a positive manner. They review requests to determine how the logo is going to be used before they will grant the permission. A substantial amount of effort and time went into the development of those logos, including the font for the Corvette word. It's called intellectual property.

My understanding is that no patches have been authorized because they don't want them sewn on just anything that wouldn't represent them in the best light. Imagine going out and buying some cheap P.O.S. sweatshirt or jacket and then sewing on a C5 patch and then selling it for premium dollars.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by jrose7004
An embroidery shop should have some digital images that are Corvette related and they may have one of the C5 emblem.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought that you were a LEO?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by moserbe
I thought that you were a LEO?
I was a LEO, back in the mid 80's and early 90's right after I got out of the Marines. After getting shot twice (because I was a little too adventurous for my own good), I became less effective and a little too trigger happy. I realized that it was just a matter of time before I ended up in court, jail or both and so I quit a moved back to my birth state of Kentucky. If you have never been a LEO, you'll never know how hard that was to do. I loved that job so much I would have worked for free if I could have.

Went back to college, got an electronic engineering degree and was hired by Motorola. After getting enough ***** to break out own my own, I did and never looked back. It was then and only then that I actually started making money, and could afford to make a comfortable living.

I still go out every once in a while a do a ride along just to lick my lips but I'll never work in law enforcement again. It's a young man's job (not that I'm that old), it's thankless, kids today have no respect for authority, and its really not suited for someone with the old school mentality that I have. I mean, now they have cameras behind those sheds where we use to dish out some good ol' fashioned street justice! Today, my customers love it when I show up.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 11-25-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default embroidery

My wife has a Janome computerized embroidery machine, and we have digitized a few images. What a laborious task it is, esepecially when a non-pro tries. I have tried to develop a C5 logo (for personal use only) but even as "simple" as it seems, it took several hours to create a rendition that even looked like it would embroider. Haven't given up on the project, you know how it is with over 100 vinyards in the state (VA), a nice day, and a 2000 C5 convert in the garage saying "take me, take me".
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
copy right infringement.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

you may be right. I wonder, though, if one takes a photo of their car and the logo is in the photo, is that infringement as well? It is an easy call when someone intends to profit from a copy or an image, but isn't it rather gray before that line is crossed? I've heard it both ways, and I sure don't know the answer.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by k24556
you may be right. I wonder, though, if one takes a photo of their car and the logo is in the photo, is that infringement as well? It is an easy call when someone intends to profit from a copy or an image, but isn't it rather gray before that line is crossed? I've heard it both ways, and I sure don't know the answer.
The answer is in your bottom line. Make a million, you'll find their lawyers at your next breakfast. Make .25, and you'll probably be eating alone.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:30 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

I tried to get Vette sew on patches with no luck.Every car and motorcycle company can get you patches for your car or bike except Corvette what gives.Take Harley Davidson you can go to any Harley dealer and get all the patches you want. Why don't Chevrolet dealers do the same,all I can say about GM is "duh are they stupid or what"
Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
An embroidery shop should have some digital images that are Corvette related and they may have one of the C5 emblem.
I doubt that you'll be able to find any embroidery shop willing to reproduce the image for you. I tried it a few years ago to have the C5 logo embroidered on a jacket. At first, none even wanted to discuss doing it. The only way any of the embroidery shops would even consider coping the image was if I agreed to change the size and style of the Corvette font, leave off the Chevrolet bowtie, and change the colors in the flags, Seemed they were all deathly afraid of copyright infringements.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a local shop here in town, she told me that she could'nt make anything with the chevy bowtie or C5 emblem, but if I found a patch she could sew it on the jacket, so thats were I stand right now.
And thanks for everyones help in this. I think I'll buy a cap and remove the patch and have her sew it on the jacket.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 jacket sew on emblem

Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM
silverstreak01
Racer

alittle bit more to it than that. to digitize a logo is to use digitizing software (starting at $3,000. + dollars) and hand punch all the needed info to run the embroidery machine by dropping the needles, giving the needle movement, color changes, thread density, start and finish position, thread cutoffs, lock stitch drop. The jpeg or picture you give to the lady is only used to duplicate the logo. You cannot sew from just that, like some people think.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 PM
soggysailor
Pro

Originally Posted by blacksedan87

My understanding is that no patches have been authorized because they don't want them sewn on just anything that wouldn't represent them in the best light. Imagine going out and buying some cheap P.O.S. sweatshirt or jacket and then sewing on a C5 patch and then selling it for premium dollars.
Hey......isn't that what China is for ?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by silverstreak01
alittle bit more to it than that. to digitize a logo is to use digitizing software (starting at $3,000. + dollars) and hand punch all the needed info to run the embroidery machine by dropping the needles, giving the needle movement, color changes, thread density, start and finish position, thread cutoffs, lock stitch drop. The jpeg or picture you give to the lady is only used to duplicate the logo. You cannot sew from just that, like some people think.
True, and I understand that but just getting the image to digital is very simple. I know nothing about what sounds like quite a complicated process that you just described!

Quick Reply: C5 jacket sew on emblem