Sponsored by:

DOT 5 brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
ezeddz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DOT 5 brake fluid

If I have gone to the DOT 5 Brake Fluid and I want to go back to the 3 or 4. Am I screwed or is there an effective method?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I believe you are screwed. Once in the system it is extremely difficult to get out.

Got this from an old BMW motorcycle board posting:
http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

If silicone is introduced into an older brake system, the silicone will latch unto the sludge generated by gradual component deterioration and create a gelatin like goop which will attract more crud and eventually plug up metering orifices or cause pistons to stick. If you have already changed to DOT 5, don't compound your initial mistake and change back. Silicone is very tenacious stuff and you will never get it all out of your system. Just change the fluid regularly. For those who race using silicone fluid, I recommend that you crack the bleed screws before each racing session to insure that there is no water in the calipers.

Bill
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
vincentjames501
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would one use DOT5 in the first place when I believe it calls for DOT3?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Deputy
Instructor

Originally Posted by vincentjames501
Why would one use DOT5 in the first place when I believe it calls for DOT3?
I believe it withstands higher temperatures to resist boiling during hard use-racing.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Blowa-Z
Advanced

In my shop we work with brake systems often, I personally would not have the guts to make the change in the first place. But that being said, if you survived it without problems, an old saying comes to mind. If It Ain't Broke Don't F**K With It! You could cause yourself a real pain in your right rear pocket down the road.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:30 AM
ezeddz
Instructor

I did not chose to go to DOT 5, the shop I use put in the DOT 5 after I asked them to put in a higher temp brake fluid. Doesn't sound like I am in a good spot!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dot 5 no no

Originally Posted by ezeddz
I did not chose to go to DOT 5, the shop I use put in the DOT 5 after I asked them to put in a higher temp brake fluid. Doesn't sound like I am in a good spot!
Unless you made the shop install dot5 brake fluid I would be after the shop that installed the dot5. Your mechanic had a number of options with dot4 fluid to correct the problem. All mechanics know of the problems that are asscoiated with the use of dot5 with a system that run a lower dot brake system. Also dot5 is not recommended with ABS systems. All c5 information from chevy work shop manuals have dot5 as a no no. Some dot5 containers have warnings that would not advise the use with abs brake systems.

If you do not have problems now I think you are in for a major overhaul of your brake system.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Did he put in DOT 5 or DOT 5.1? DOT 5 is silicone and should not be used in our cars. DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 and 4. It has a higher wet and dry boiling point and it's all I use in my cars.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 AM
xtacy187
Instructor

I use DOT 5.1 on my 2005 z51 and it works like a charm. DOT 5 though isn't compatible with ABS brake systems and is, as mentioned above, a big NO NO..

Motul600 is excellent brake oil and so is Castrol SRF. Unfortunately, none of em are available where I live so I'm using a DOT 5.1 brake oil made by Carlube (a UK company). harder brake pads and steel lines are also recommended if you want to improve your vehicle's braking power.

Get notified of new replies

To DOT 5 brake fluid

Quick Reply: DOT 5 brake fluid