Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Losing air in left rear tire

All:

Ever since I filled up with air last weekend, I've been losing air in my left rear tire. In fact, it was completely flat on Wednesday morning. I discovered that the spigot cap wasn't on very well, so I filled it back up and, this time, make sure the cap was secured. It still lost air.

Then this morning, it only had about 12 PSI left in the rear tire, so I again filled it up with air, and as I was tightening the cap, the end of the cap broke completely off - thus, the cap is useless and the tire was losing air out of the spigot. I took the cap off of the front tire and put it on the back as a temporary fix. I also noticed the little red rubber "stopper" came lose from the spigot.

First, why would the front tire NOT lose air without the cap, while the rear tire DOES lose air?

Secondly, this sounds like something that I should probably have done by a shop, right? Is it possible to buy replacement air spigot caps? Even if I can do that, I'm afraid that the problem goes beyond the cap itself.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

If it is leaking at the valve stem It could be some dirt in the valve core.

Get a new valve core and see if that fixes it. Do you have a valve core wrench? If not, get one with the new core. They are cheap.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Sounds like you just need a new valve in the valve stem. The caps are not meant to seal air in the tire.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Sounds like you just need a new valve in the valve stem. The caps are not meant to seal air in the tire.
Thanks to both of you for the responses. I quickly Googled this, but haven't come up with an actual procedure on the repair. Unfortunately, I have very little mechanical skills, so I need clear and concise instructions. Would anyone here know of a published procedure for performing this work?

Thanks much.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
zee oh six
Advanced

Always Give the tire a good looking over (remove wheel from car) and inspect for the dreaded drywall screw.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zee oh six
Always Give the tire a good looking over (remove wheel from car) and inspect for the dreaded drywall screw.
Yeah, I had considered that as well, as I live in a new area with lots of construction going on. The reason why I assumed that it wasn't something as simple as a screw or a nail is because this only happened after I filled up with air and put the valve stem cap back on. I've never had a problem like this before. It could be one big coincidence, though.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

Owned my car 3 1/2 years and have had 5 nails/screws in my tires.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by sdnet
Thanks to both of you for the responses. I quickly Googled this, but haven't come up with an actual procedure on the repair. Unfortunately, I have very little mechanical skills, so I need clear and concise instructions. Would anyone here know of a published procedure for performing this work?

Thanks much.
Stop by most any local tire shop and they will likely replace the valve for free. It's a no biggie (the tire does not need to be removed).
Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
zee oh six
Advanced

Low air pressure = heat=bad at any speed > 5
Corvette = speed > 5
Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks much.
Return tire or drive the car to a tire shop for inspection of penetrating foreign objects allowing air to escape. Or in the alternative if no foreign objects are located, for a professional replacement of valve core (threaded one way valve inside the valve stem, covered by the screw on cap).
Or another alternative, jack up car using lift pucks at the suggested lift points and spray a soapy solution all around the tire, watching closely for tell tale signs of air bubbles. Mark the hole with a grease marker and drive to a tire shop. Or remove the tire for professional repair.
Or, while the car is supported on a jack/stands, use suggested inexpensive tool to remove the valve core, screwing it out of the stem counterclockwise. Take it to your favorite tire store or automotive supplier and get another core. Thread the core firmly into the stem clockwise. Air the tire to the suggested psi @ probably 30# cold. Replace the valve cap.
A very remote possibility is that you have a tire separating.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 11-09-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks all for the suggestions...I think that I'm going to drop by Discount Tire on the way home and get the valve stem tested and replaced if necessary.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 PM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I had a leaking O ring, I tightened down the valve stem, "Gently" several times until it stopped leaking........
Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Bugaboo
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the suggestions...I think that I'm going to drop by Discount Tire on the way home and get the valve stem tested and replaced if necessary.
odds are it'll be no charge.......good outfit.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM
rapid robert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had bought chrome value caps for my car. They had a red plastic stopper inside the cap. When I would tighten the cap the red plastic stopper would push down on the value stem releasing the air. I removed the red plastic and had no more problems.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM
gimme5
Instructor

Remove wheel/tire assembly.

Inflate.

Smear soapy water (or just water) over entire tire (entire tire; that's funny) and valve.

See bubbles.

Make bubles stop happening.

— Could be base of valve assembly —

Send check to...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by zee oh six
That's where my bet is.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:18 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Would those here agree that the fact that air leaks out of the value stem without the cap on generally indicates a problem with the valve stem? While another puncture could certainly be present, that other puncture couldn't cause the value stem itself to leak, correct?

Get notified of new replies

To Losing air in left rear tire

Old 11-09-2007, 06:01 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

Would those here agree that the fact that air leaks out of the value stem without the cap on generally indicates a problem with the valve stem? While another puncture could certainly be present, that other puncture couldn't cause the value stem itself to leak, correct?
That is what I was thinking. A puncture in the tire would not cause air to leak out the valve stem.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
Caps do nothing but keep the debris out. Could be the valve core, a split valve stem, some type of injury to the tire itself, or a leak where the tire seals on the rim. Take the wheel off and run some soap suds around it.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks much.
Find a 13 year old kid with a bicycle. He can probably replace the valve for you! Same valve, believe it or not.

RonJ ...

Quick Reply: Losing air in left rear tire