Sponsored by:

OOS Buyer(SC) Purchasing C5 In (FL) Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
UD-LUZE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOS Buyer(SC) Purchasing C5 In (FL) Question

[B]To legally drive the Vette 6hrs. back to SC am I expected to apply for a temp tag in SC before I head south or will I be able to get something from the FL DMV? I'm purchasing from a private seller. I've looked on both DMV sites and haven't come up with an answer.[/B]
Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I think you should be able to get a 30 day temp for transporting the car home. Minimal charge for them.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
UD-LUZE
Advanced

Are you saying a 30 day temp from FL?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Whenever I buy an out of state car, I just roll with no tag but bring the Bill of Sale with me. Once I got pulled over in MA for no tag and I showed the officer the BOS and he was good with that.

No sure if it is legal or not...

I'm sure one of our LEO Members will chime in soon

Peace
Chip

Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 PM
UD-LUZE
Advanced

Thanks Chip! I'm so ready for this to happen....I'm just trying to cover my bases before I pick it up next week.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I also thought the Bill of Sale was good enough to get you home, or signed and dated title
Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM
OutKlast
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts

I put my current tag on the car I bought out of state.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I bought my vette in NJ and drove it to MT and up into Canada on a Temp Tag the dealer had for me.

Now I could be crazy but I thought there was an issue with FL. I thought I read that if you got tags in FL that you had to pay the state tax. After rereading this, I think it doesn't even make sense but I'm gonna throw it out there. I'd rather be wrong (and get made fun of) than have it be true and not mention it. Besides...I'm Canadian, what do I know?

Good luck with the new vette
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 PM
OutKlast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 04 Rooster
I bought my vette in NJ and drove it to MT and up into Canada on a Temp Tag the dealer had for me.

Now I could be crazy but I thought there was an issue with FL. I thought I read that if you got tags in FL that you had to pay the state tax. After rereading this, I think it doesn't even make sense but I'm gonna throw it out there. I'd rather be wrong (and get made fun of) than have it be true and not mention it. Besides...I'm Canadian, what do I know?

Good luck with the new vette
Last I checked FL had a temp tag for situations just like this and I didn't see any mention of having to pay taxes. I was also able to get a temp tag for my vette without paying taxes just used it for 1 day to drive it to the DMV for a mileage reading.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd be more worried about the Insurance. Although not stated,I assuming people mean "show the bill of sale and insurance card".
Can you get an insurance card with just a Vin #, like add it to your policy on a certain date?
No clue, but believe that non registered pales in comparison to uninsured, just a thought.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jistari
I'd be more worried about the Insurance. Although not stated,I assuming people mean "show the bill of sale and insurance card".
Can you get an insurance card with just a Vin #, like add it to your policy on a certain date?
No clue, but believe that non registered pales in comparison to uninsured, just a thought.
correct! The insurance is the big issue, not if you are stopped... What if you have an accident and you arent covered? You could be in serious, serious trouble and in debt for the rest of your life!!! make sure you get temporary insurance from the place where you live and have them give you tags to display.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Plasticfan
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alanhang
correct! The insurance is the big issue, not if you are stopped... What if you have an accident and you arent covered? You could be in serious, serious trouble and in debt for the rest of your life!!! make sure you get temporary insurance from the place where you live and have them give you tags to display.
When I bought my C5 OOS I told my ins co what I was doing and they said "call us when you close the deal". I did that and had coverage before I left the dealer.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by alanhang
I don't know about other companies, but my Insurance automatically covers the car for 30 days immediately after purchase and then it has to be registered on the policy...

Peace
Chip
Old 11-09-2007, 09:59 AM
OutKlast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Plasticfan
When I bought my C5 OOS I told my ins co what I was doing and they said "call us when you close the deal". I did that and had coverage before I left the dealer.
I called my insurance company 5 minutes after I bought the car and gave them the VIN # to add to the policy.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM
blacksofttop
Instructor

Originally Posted by WarpVette
You are correct, sir. Most (if not all) insurance policies automatically cover you for a minimum period (10 ~ 30 days) upon purchase of a new(to you) vehicle, whether you call them or not. This coverage is also extended to rentals & borrowed vehicles. If you haven't yet, I suggest reading all the "fine print" in your insurance policies. You'd be amazed at what's in there!
I know State Farm does, I have used that feature many times.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

When I picked mine up out of state the previous owner just left the plates on and I mailed them back to him.......just let your ins. agent know what's up before you leave to pick the car up.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought mine in FL and drove it back to NC. I got a temp tag from FL for $15. You just have to show proof of ins. Oh yeah, you have to wait 20 mins at the DMV. There were no taxes due for me until I applied for tag in NC and them BAM!!!! I started to bring tag off of my TA, but I didn't want to take a chance on the 11 hr ride home. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To OOS Buyer(SC) Purchasing C5 In (FL) Question

Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 PM
trickflow
Pro

Originally Posted by Willfulone
I don't know about other companies, but my Insurance automatically covers the car for 30 days immediately after purchase and then it has to be registered on the policy...

Peace
Chip

That's what my insurance company told me.
Just be glad you're not buying Florida Plates. If you buy new tags here the cost is over $100.00 not counting the taxes. I think it used to be around $350.00.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Janfun
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, this is fun...
I bought my C5 from GA. It was a private seller.
Basic mistake was that title was still in posession of the bank where he owned some $$ for the vert. I got Bill Of Sale and copy of the title with me as a proof of sale. All that together with agreement that after bank receives the money they will transfer title direct to me.
I took on-line insurance for the car and headed north towards PA with all necessary documents (I thought).
Of course, 5 hours later, I got stopped for speeding in Richmond, VA.
When cop asked for documents and I showed the Bill Of Sale and insurance, she was not happy at all.

She insisted to have registration card. It didn't help to explain that I just bought the car and technically it was impossible to have one available for her. I tried to plea not guilty on spot
She had my C5 towed away from highway and she suspended my driving priviledge in Virginia.

One month later I went to court and they charged me for wreckless driving without registration. Prosecutor demanded 2000$ fine and 6 months local party time in county jail.

Please take my advice: whatever you do, do not drive through Virginia if you do not have proper documents available and do not speed!!!

Last edited by Janfun; 11-09-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
KCJeff
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1
I also thought the Bill of Sale was good enough to get you home, or signed and dated title
Not in my state. They want you to secure the temp tag before you even drive it. Not sure how you are supposed to get it home! I just grabbed a tag from one of my other cars (yes, this is also improper). Unless you are doing something to attract attention to yourself, just having a tag on the car should keep the police away. If you are driving with no tag whatsoever, they'll stop you (if they see you).

Quick Reply: OOS Buyer(SC) Purchasing C5 In (FL) Question