Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Seafoam use

Hey guys, I just got finished all of my inspections (to get this US vette registered in Canada ). My mechanic and friend suggested I run a bottle of Seafoam through the engine. I have done a bit of research on seafoam an a lot of people think it is great so I am up for using it. I thought most of the info I read involved pouring the seafoam somewhere (I can't recall where :o ) and then starting the engine and having it smoke like crazy. My mechanic suggested that I pour half a bottle in the gas tank a couple of times. He mentioned that driving for extended periods with seafoam in the tank will eventually ruin the cats.
Help this seafoam rookie out please!!!
Thanks for your help
Old 10-11-2007, 07:52 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pour it in the gas tank right before you fill up with gas. It will help clean your sending units in the gas tank so your gas gauge needle wont get stuck on empty.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=seafoam
Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 Rooster
He mentioned that driving for extended periods with seafoam in the tank will eventually ruin the cats.
Help this seafoam rookie out please!!!
Thanks for your help
He would be wrong. Suck a pint through the PCV or brake booster hose using the last little bit to overfeed and stall the engine. If you have any issues with fuel tank level errors, run a bottle through the engine for a couple of tanks. Pour in the Seafoam and THEN fill the tank. If your toy has a lot of miles, put a pint in the crankcase and run the engine for a half hour or so or just drive it around at low speed for a few miles and then drain and change the oil.

Charlie
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by cruisemon
He would be wrong. Suck a pint through the PCV or brake booster hose using the last little bit to overfeed and stall the engine. If you have any issues with fuel tank level errors, run a bottle through the engine for a couple of tanks. Pour in the Seafoam and THEN fill the tank. If your toy has a lot of miles, put a pint in the crankcase and run the engine for a half hour or so or just drive it around at low speed for a few miles and then drain and change the oil.

Charlie
Do the fuel tank and the PCV intake. Then change the oil.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Ta-taaa
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it do it do it!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

There are 2 ways you can do it that will effectively clean the valves and combustion chamber.Pouring it through the gas tank cleans the injectors but does can't match a direct shot into the engine.

1)On the passenger side,you will see a hose on the intake manifold right after the throttle body.You need to pull out the hose on the side that is NOT connected to the intake manifold.Have someone rev the engine and pour 1/3-1/2 of the seafoam and keep it at about 1500-2000 rpm because your engine will stumble as you pour the seafoam in and MAKE sure the engine does not die until you are done.Let it sit for minimum 30 minutes but the more time you let it sit the better.

2)Pull out the hose on the brake booster side.The brake booster is the huge black cannister looking thing on the firewall of the driver side.You can't miss it.Repeat the steps in part 1 where you have someone rev it and pout in 1/3-1/2 the bottle.let it sit.

With the last 2/3-1/2 of the bottle you have left,you can pour some of it in the gas tank as well as into your oil.After you seafoam,make sure change your oil about 500-1000 miles after the seafoam treatment.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
TA8088
Pro

Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I like SeaFoam a lot (Just read the label on a can). It not only is a great cleaner, but has stabilizers (like Sta-Bil) for extended (good for two years) storage. And as far as damaging the Cats, Why would he say that? It hasn't any lead in it. I think he has his products mixed up. Maybe Octane booster could, but not SeaFoam.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

SeaFoam
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 AM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uracowman
There are 2 ways you can do it that will effectively clean the valves and combustion chamber.Pouring it through the gas tank cleans the injectors but does can't match a direct shot into the engine.

1)On the passenger side,you will see a hose on the intake manifold right after the throttle body.You need to pull out the hose on the side that is NOT connected to the intake manifold.Have someone rev the engine and pour 1/3-1/2 of the seafoam and keep it at about 1500-2000 rpm because your engine will stumble as you pour the seafoam in and MAKE sure the engine does not die until you are done.Let it sit for minimum 30 minutes but the more time you let it sit the better.

2)Pull out the hose on the brake booster side.The brake booster is the huge black cannister looking thing on the firewall of the driver side.You can't miss it.Repeat the steps in part 1 where you have someone rev it and pout in 1/3-1/2 the bottle.let it sit.

With the last 2/3-1/2 of the bottle you have left,you can pour some of it in the gas tank as well as into your oil.After you seafoam,make sure change your oil about 500-1000 miles after the seafoam treatment.
I am a bit confused. Do you do step 1 and step 2 or do you do step 1 or step 2? I am guessing the latter but I would rather ask and look stupid than do something stupid.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
hayman
Drifting

Where do you get this stuff?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 AM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stormrider
I am a bit confused. Do you do step 1 and step 2 or do you do step 1 or step 2? I am guessing the latter but I would rather ask and look stupid than do something stupid.
you only have to do one.You can do both if you want but it is not necessary.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
egypt123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uracowman
When you say "let it sit", are you talking about let it sit with the engine off, or with the enigne on at idle? I assume it's engine off, but I want to make sure.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 AM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by egypt123
When you say "let it sit", are you talking about let it sit with the engine off, or with the enigne on at idle? I assume it's engine off, but I want to make sure.
Let it sit with the engine off!!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for all of the help guys!!! I will seafoam the car this weekend!!! Look out smoke...here I come.

[QUOTE=egypt123;1562273582]When you say "let it sit", are you talking about let it sit with the engine off, or with the enigne on at idle? /QUOTE]

I'd like clarification too
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

letting sit as in turning it off.Also,MAKE SURE you do not stick the hoses directly into the seafoam.let the hose hover above the liquid and let the engine suck it in slowly.If you do this too fast,you run the risk of hydro locking and when you hydro locked your fooked.

Get notified of new replies

To Seafoam use

Old 10-12-2007, 05:06 PM
SinghZvette
Racer

Originally Posted by hayman
Where do you get this stuff?
Any local auto store (Auto Zone, Pep Boys) and even places like Wally Mart (with auto sections) have this. I had the annoying gas gauge takes a dump issue on my 98-coupe at 69k-miles. Two treatements of Techron did not help. Use Top-Tier gas only, yet problems!! One can of Seafoam in an almost empty gas tank and gas guage stays put Got extra cans for my other two cars!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
hayman
Drifting

Originally Posted by SinghZvette
Any local auto store (Auto Zone, Pep Boys) and even places like Wally Mart (with auto sections) have this. I had the annoying gas gauge takes a dump issue on my 98-coupe at 69k-miles. Two treatements of Techron did not help. Use Top-Tier gas only, yet problems!! One can of Seafoam in an almost empty gas tank and gas guage stays put Got extra cans for my other two cars!!
Is it called "Seafoam"? Cause I've looked and can't find it.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM
uracowman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hayman
Is it called "Seafoam"? Cause I've looked and can't find it.
yes.It comes in a red and white aluminum cannister.

Quick Reply: Seafoam use