Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Mr Jaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)

Remind me not to do that again....

I figured I'd run a fast one without the traction, just to see how that goes.... Well.... 1st gear.... I floor it.... I move forward but not as fast as I expected and the rpm's just go through the roof... I look in my rear view mirror and here is smoke coming from behind the car.... Then I realized.... I'm doing a burn out.... Not what I was planning to do, lol

It was exciting... but probably expensive, lol

felt kinda dumb :o

Suprising how much the T/C does though... pretty cool function!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Ryan's Daddy Dan-Na
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valuable accessory

Now you know what it is like on NHL hockey nights and driving a Zamboni!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Mr. Couture
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to feel dumb. burnouts are fun and you'll soon come to doing them a lot w/o worrying about the tires
Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Mr Jaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Couture
no need to feel dumb. burnouts are fun and you'll soon come to doing them a lot w/o worrying about the tires

So.... do you get your tires sponsored?? lol
Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 PM
TimeCr0ss
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Jaz
So.... do you get your tires sponsored?? lol
Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 PM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Mr Jaz
Advanced

Just looked it up.... was smoking $644.00
Old 10-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Yeah, traction control definitely keeps things tame. Good for running around on the street. Bad trying to do a burnout at the track though.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 AM
IM28702
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Traction control H8R

For whatever it's worth, I absolutely DISPISE my traction control/Actve handling. I have 315's on the car (you'd think the extra grip would help, but it doesn't), and seems to me that any time I try to aggressively pull into traffic, or hot foot a corner, it kicks in and kills the engine for a good full second, leaving me to panic that the guy behind me is about to be in the car with me. At this point, any time I go to do anything other than meekly idle around in the in the cattle herd of daily traffic, I reach down and turn the TC off. I sooooooooooo wish I could set it to auto defeat, so that if I want it on, I could just reach down and turn it on.

Does anyone else have this complaint? Is there something wrong with mine? I would be ok with it if it just eased you out of the gas for a tenth of a second,or enough to stop the slide, but it just takes so long to recover that I could write a novel while waiting for the power to return. I have no intentions of long smoky burnouts, or drifts through 4 lanes, but if the tires spin a bit for 5 or 10 feet, does the computer really have to crap it's pants? I have a right foot to control the slide, no need for big brother to step in.

Anyone know if there is a way to reduce the computer's anxiety? I've been autocrossing and seldomly road racing for years, I'm sure that I'm not going to lose control merging with traffic. The computer is sure we're all going to die.

Last edited by IM28702; 10-06-2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: More complaining
Old 10-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by IM28702
For whatever it's worth, I absolutely DISPISE my traction control/Actve handling. I have 315's on the car (you'd think the extra grip would help, but it doesn't), and seems to me that any time I try to aggressively pull into traffic, or hot foot a corner, it kicks in and kills the engine for a good full second, leaving me to panic that the guy behind me is about to be in the car with me. At this point, any time I go to do anything other than meekly idle around in the in the cattle herd of daily traffic, I reach down and turn the TC off. I sooooooooooo wish I could set it to auto defeat, so that if I want it on, I could just reach down and turn it on.

Does anyone else have this complaint? Is there something wrong with mine? I would be ok with it if it just eased you out of the gas for a tenth of a second,or enough to stop the slide, but it just takes so long to recover that I could write a novel while waiting for the power to return. I have no intentions of long smoky burnouts, or drifts through 4 lanes, but if the tires spin a bit for 5 or 10 feet, does the computer really have to crap it's pants? I have a right foot to control the slide, no need for big brother to step in.

Anyone know if there is a way to reduce the computer's anxiety? I've been autocrossing and seldomly road racing for years, I'm sure that I'm not going to lose control merging with traffic. The computer is sure we're all going to die.
You do understand there is a switch to shut it off, right?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 AM
qwkz06
Racer

For what it's worth I always drive in competitive mode. With the traction control off you can accellerate as hard as you want and the active handling, which is very liberal on these cars, keeps you from getting too sideways. I find active handling only kicks in when you get pretty sideways. Not that you can't drive out of the slide pretty easy but for daily driving it is just a little protection if you are not paying perfect attention and are merging into traffic aggressively.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 AM
LEANDRO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Jaz
Just looked it up.... was smoking $644.00
Maybe I am wrong, but can you really put a price on fun?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 AM
vettelover84
Melting Slicks

We will see!!! I haven't got the chance to drive my new Z06 but when I do I will hae to play with the on/off switch!!! I really love driving so I would like to just turn it off and go!!! But as I have read, its easy for a 400+ RWHP vette to get away from ya!!!

It will be FUN to get used to driving the new Z!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Drive it in competitive mode. If you want to stomp it, you'll still be able to spin the tires, but still have active handling there for safety.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,390 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Traction control does help keep those tire expenses down.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 AM
KCJeff
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

If AH is pulling off that much throttle, it's only because you are spinning your tires (even a little). That's what it was designed to do. Not too much control during wheelspin. I don't know if AH can be adjusted or become out of adjustment. I rarely have the AH engage and when I do, it's almost always intentionally (little bit of juice around a corner, etc). If you are racing, you'll just have to turn it off. I read that someone had AH disabled through their computer tune. Do a search and see what you can find.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:41 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Crazy, but my best track time is with the AH on. The tradeoff nets .3 better times than spinning the tires.

Get notified of new replies

To *ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

You could install one of these.

http://www.laptrax.com/
Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Crazy, but my best track time is with the AH on. The tradeoff nets .3 better times than spinning the tires.

then that means there's more capability that's not being utilized.

Traction Control is not a racing optimized system. It's more like a "so old people can travel on ice & snow" system.

If you turn off TC and practice launching the car... you may get .4 to .5 better times.

----------------------------

I do believe some here are confusing and/or combining two different systems. The OP says "Traction Control" and some are IMO talking about Active Handling. TC and AH are two totally different systems with two totally different tasks.

All C5's have TC
AH was not available in 1997. AH became optional mid year 1998 model year. AH then became standard in 2001.

Quick Reply: *ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)