Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:19 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IM28702
For whatever it's worth, I absolutely DISPISE my traction control/Actve handling. I have 315's on the car (you'd think the extra grip would help, but it doesn't), and seems to me that any time I try to aggressively pull into traffic, or hot foot a corner, it kicks in and kills the engine for a good full second, leaving me to panic that the guy behind me is about to be in the car with me. At this point, any time I go to do anything other than meekly idle around in the in the cattle herd of daily traffic, I reach down and turn the TC off. I sooooooooooo wish I could set it to auto defeat, so that if I want it on, I could just reach down and turn it on.

Does anyone else have this complaint? Is there something wrong with mine? I would be ok with it if it just eased you out of the gas for a tenth of a second,or enough to stop the slide, but it just takes so long to recover that I could write a novel while waiting for the power to return. I have no intentions of long smoky burnouts, or drifts through 4 lanes, but if the tires spin a bit for 5 or 10 feet, does the computer really have to crap it's pants? I have a right foot to control the slide, no need for big brother to step in.

Anyone know if there is a way to reduce the computer's anxiety? I've been autocrossing and seldomly road racing for years, I'm sure that I'm not going to lose control merging with traffic. The computer is sure we're all going to die.
I know what your problem is.

Its a 2000.
They changed the TC/AH in 2001 and it is totally better. I had a 2000 and now I have a 2001 and it is sooooooo much less intrusive. I can actually spin them pretty good before the tc comes on. If I pull out of a driveway and get a little sideways, the TC wont even come on as long as you arent smoking the tires. With my 2000 it seemed like someone turned off the ignition for 1 sec and then back on. The 01 and up is much softer and quicker responding.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:53 AM
5OBait
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The t/c has deffinatly saved my and my cars butt more then a few times I just leave it on unless I'm going to do a burnout.. then i'll throw it into comp mode.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
IM28702
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default TY for the responses.....

I agree about the invasiveness. from a previous response, I am going to install a laptrax (ty for the heads up on that), but is there any simple way to update to the newer TC/AH system? I have to imagine not, but worth the ask....

Originally Posted by gpracer1

Its a 2000.
They changed the TC/AH in 2001 and it is totally better. I had a 2000 and now I have a 2001 and it is sooooooo much less intrusive. I can actually spin them pretty good before the tc comes on. If I pull out of a driveway and get a little sideways, the TC wont even come on as long as you arent smoking the tires. With my 2000 it seemed like someone turned off the ignition for 1 sec and then back on. The 01 and up is much softer and quicker responding.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM
jttVette02
Racer

Is competitive mode only on a Z06? My 02 vert has a button where I can turn off the Traction Control and Active Handling at the same time, but not individually. Isn't competitive mode TC off and AH on? How do you set to Competitive mode?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a 2000.
In my 1999, I'm able to spin the tires and let the back end get a "little" squirrelly before the T/C comes on. It seems if I let the back end of the car come out more than 5-10 degrees it will suddenly kick in. But when it comes on, it's as you described... a 1 to 2 second slap in the face with a gradual return of power.

Unfortunately, T/C is either on or off for me. I don't seem to have this fancy Active Handling everyone speaks of.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DefenderC5
In my 1999, I'm able to spin the tires and let the back end get a "little" squirrelly before the T/C comes on. It seems if I let the back end of the car come out more than 5-10 degrees it will suddenly kick in. But when it comes on, it's as you described... a 1 to 2 second slap in the face with a gradual return of power.

Unfortunately, T/C is either on or off for me. I don't seem to have this fancy Active Handling everyone speaks of.
AH was an option from 98-00, 97 didnt have it at all.
01 and up it was standard and version 2.
If you have it, you hold the button down for more than 5 seconds and it will tell you. 98-00 must be going 0 mph. 01-04, you can be driving any speed.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:02 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jaz
Remind me not to do that again....

I figured I'd run a fast one without the traction, just to see how that goes.... Well.... 1st gear.... I floor it.... I move forward but not as fast as I expected and the rpm's just go through the roof... I look in my rear view mirror and here is smoke coming from behind the car.... Then I realized.... I'm doing a burn out.... Not what I was planning to do, lol

It was exciting... but probably expensive, lol

felt kinda dumb :o

Suprising how much the T/C does though... pretty cool function!
You think THAT was exciting, you don't KNOW what would have been exciting if you had bang shifted into second without the TC on. I've heard some say that, when they did, they could look in their rearview mirror and see the back of their head the car swapped ends so fast.

Charlie
Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 PM
blacksofttop
Instructor

Originally Posted by cruisemon
You think THAT was exciting, you don't KNOW what would have been exciting if you had bang shifted into second without the TC on. I've heard some say that, when they did, they could look in their rearview mirror and see the back of their head the car swapped ends so fast.

Charlie
I bang-shifted into 2nd without the TC on...once! I have drag-raced for 35+ years, and mostly had sticks, so I consider myself very experienced. I believe it was this amount of experience that saved me from doing exactly what cruisemon described above! I felt the back end coming around to my right, and luckily let off the gas immediately without pushing the clutch in, which probably would have snapped it back around the other way, and was able to haul it in. I sometimes drive in Competition mode, but hardly ever without TC on!
Old 10-06-2007, 05:04 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The traction control is more like smoke control
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by utryd2
The traction control is more like smoke control
I'm not independently wealthy so try not to burn off the tires.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Mr Jaz
Advanced

OH NO! I did another burn out in Eureka Springs.... 3 times

THIS TIME ON PURPOSE!!!

Made me feel good inside, lol But lost some rubber :o

Had fun though.... NOT doing it again.... I think
Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
jhiiidoc
Racer

[QUOTE=Mike Mercury;1562191856]then that means there's more capability that's not being utilized.

Traction Control is not a racing optimized system. It's more like a "so old people can travel on ice & snow" system.
QUOTE]

TC sucks on ice and snow. I had better control on ice and snow in my 84 than my 02. I think TC is for people who get in over their heads in a curve and this gives them a chance to reel it in.

If you don't like it, turn it off, or go Comp Mode. I like the Laptrax device.

If you are running a 6 speed, consider yourself lucky. Without a swap of my Torque Converter, I couldn't do a burnout unless I was on water.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 AM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

The first thing I do after I start the engine is"TURN OF THE T/C"!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Mike073048
Instructor

Originally Posted by jttVette02
Is competitive mode only on a Z06? My 02 vert has a button where I can turn off the Traction Control and Active Handling at the same time, but not individually. Isn't competitive mode TC off and AH on? How do you set to Competitive mode?

On my '04 coupe if I push the Active Handling button on my console for more than five seconds it turns on competitive mode, Traction Control off, Active Handling on.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You all realize TC an AH are different things. Running a 1/4 mile w/ AH on will not affect the ET or MPH at all. It will only engage if you get out of line.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM
jttVette02
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike073048
On my '04 coupe if I push the Active Handling button on my console for more than five seconds it turns on competitive mode, Traction Control off, Active Handling on.

Cool, thanks, I'll try that.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM
redvette777
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Jaz
Just looked it up.... was smoking $644.00
What I smoke cost a lot less than that. That must of been dro

Get notified of new replies

To *ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)

Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AH was an option from 98-00, 97 didnt have it at all.
01 and up it was standard and version 2.
If you have it, you hold the button down for more than 5 seconds and it will tell you. 98-00 must be going 0 mph. 01-04, you can be driving any speed.
Yup I don't have it. I must have held that button for 20 seconds. But, I was pretty sure i didn't have it anyway because when I turn it off it says "Traction Control OFF" rather than "TC/AH off" or whatever it says for you guys

Meh, I don't need it anyway I guess.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by IM28702
For whatever it's worth, I absolutely DISPISE my traction control/Actve handling. I have 315's on the car (you'd think the extra grip would help, but it doesn't), and seems to me that any time I try to aggressively pull into traffic, or hot foot a corner, it kicks in and kills the engine for a good full second, leaving me to panic that the guy behind me is about to be in the car with me. At this point, any time I go to do anything other than meekly idle around in the in the cattle herd of daily traffic, I reach down and turn the TC off. I sooooooooooo wish I could set it to auto defeat, so that if I want it on, I could just reach down and turn it on.

Does anyone else have this complaint? Is there something wrong with mine? I would be ok with it if it just eased you out of the gas for a tenth of a second,or enough to stop the slide, but it just takes so long to recover that I could write a novel while waiting for the power to return. I have no intentions of long smoky burnouts, or drifts through 4 lanes, but if the tires spin a bit for 5 or 10 feet, does the computer really have to crap it's pants? I have a right foot to control the slide, no need for big brother to step in.

Anyone know if there is a way to reduce the computer's anxiety? I've been autocrossing and seldomly road racing for years, I'm sure that I'm not going to lose control merging with traffic. The computer is sure we're all going to die.
I wonder if there is a later flash (or later program) of your BCM available, with my '04 MN6 the traction control is transparent, you wouldn't know it's working except that the car doesn't spin at all, even pounding the car to the floor in 2nd in rain, and it won't spin. I have BFG G-forces, they are sticky as hell, come to think of it it did spin out more with the GY runflats from the factory.

John
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettpapaw
The first thing I do after I start the engine is"TURN OFF THE T/C"!!!!!!!!!
Same here I can't stand the TC...and I "bang" it into second gear all the time. I love how the rear drifts with that nice bark of the tires.

Quick Reply: *ahem* tried driving without traction tonight (1 minute)