Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who drives with traction control off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM
rc69wc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have heard of people gettin better times in 1/4 mile in comp driving mode,so for some reason i think it completely gets rid of tc and gives the car max power to the rear wheels
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
for the most on the street it is on. On the track AH/TC is off.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 PM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the TC is a good feature for a lot of people. (I'm just not one of them) I personally don't use mine at anytime.......in fact it's the first button I push after starting the car. I've done just fine for the last 25 years without it,....and mostly in cars with much more power than the C5. I don't like anything standing in the way of me having 100% control of my car.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
I am just curious. I still have not turned tc off on the Vette. But its the 1st thing i do when i start my Stang. So i am wondering who drives with traction control off?
RamAirTony

Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Icewind Dale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8upchevy
I think the TC is a good feature for a lot of people. (I'm just not one of them) I personally don't use mine at anytime.......in fact it's the first button I push after starting the car. I've done just fine for the last 25 years without it,....and mostly in cars with much more power than the C5. I don't like anything standing in the way of me having 100% control of my car.
Much more power than a c5? Wow what kind of cars are you driving? Do all Vettes have competitive mode? All mine has is the TC button.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
snailrail
Instructor

I just leave it on. Once I put the blower on, traction control doesn't seem to do anything. It will spin the tires regardless. It does help in the rain when it is very slick and even light thottle would spin the tires. I'll take whatever safety net I can get.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
Much more power than a c5? Wow what kind of cars are you driving? Do all Vettes have competitive mode? All mine has is the TC button.
I'm an old drag racer from the Seattle area, (I grew up 5 miles from Pacific Raceways) and a few of the cars I'm referring to was my 67 Camaro w/a 468 Solid Roller Big Block, 13.5:1 compression with 650 RWHP. Another one was my 69 Chevelle - Pro/Street car w/a 427 running 597 RWHP.......and so on and so forth. I've actually owned 9 Camaros, 4 Chevelles, 2 Novas, and now 2 Corvettes.

And NO, not all Corvettes have Competitive mode. They didn't start putting it in until 1998. But then again, not all '98 and newer C5's have it. It was an option in a lot of them, just not all.

Last edited by str8upchevy; 10-02-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Zilla
Most people who have turned off their TC to show to friend forget to turn it back on and end up wrecking their vette by cornering to fast.

Turning it off is simply asking for trouble...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

SO you defeat the anti-lock brakes feature too??? Same principal except you're trying to stop instead of accelerating... Lets see... better take all of the other computer crap off of her too.. you gotta have 100% control over her... come to think of it, why are you using a computer to type on this Forum???? Big brother could be watching your every move!!

Sorry... couldn't resist!! The technology on these cars is awesome!! Not using it is foolish in my book, but hey, it's your car!!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

my ebcm is smoked, so I guess mine's always off.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 PM
RxConsult
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

TC has saved my butt a couple of times, and of course it will be when you least expect it. Driving home one evening, taking a turn a bit too fast, and don't see the road is wet. If you saw it coming, I'd slow down. TC OFF, and yes, you can burn some mean rubber. But if you've never driven a car with a lot of torque, you just might lose it.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I turn my TC off very rarely! The second or third time I did I learned a very important lesson! A Stang had been "messin" with me for a few miles on a stoplight infested 50 MPH four lane for a few miles when we both hit a red lite number one in each lane. I turned off the TC and waited for the lite. I should have known the wind direction was tail to nose but found out the hard way! I dumped the clutch as smooth as I then knew how around 3000 and the smoke followed me until I shifted into second at around 50. I didn't know which direction I was going and didn't have the luxury of having time to care! The Stang and the smoke were gone going into third! BY THEN I WAS ON A CLOSED COURSE AND WAS A PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Icewind Dale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an old drag racer from the Seattle area, (I grew up 5 miles from Pacific Raceways) and a few of the cars I'm referring to was my 67 Camaro w/a 468 Solid Roller Big Block, 13.5:1 compression with 650 RWHP. Another one was my 69 Chevelle - Pro/Street car w/a 427 running 597 RWHP.......and so on and so forth. I've actually owned 9 Camaros, 4 Chevelles, 2 Novas, and now 2 Corvettes.

And NO, not all Corvettes have Competitive mode. They didn't start putting it in until 1998. But then again, not all '98 and newer C5's have it. It was an option in a lot of them, just not all.
Cool thanks for clarifying. I can understand how a stock Vette would be childs play next to 650 hp. This is my first REALLY fast car. (Stock Mustang gt's don't count as fast right?) So maybe its not smart for someone green like me to get too much courage and try to be Dale Earnhardt.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine stays on all the time. The only time I turn it off is when I am more interested in spinning the wheels than going fast (and thats not often).
Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Zilla
Most people who have turned off their TC to show to friend forget to turn it back on and end up wrecking their vette by cornering to fast.

Did you pop these hard facts out of your but?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by old55
I put this in the same category as the "helmet law." "The only people that wear a helmet are those with something worth protecting." Same thing pertains to street driving with TC disengaged. Now where did I put that flame suit?
I guess alot of Viper drive around without "helmets"?

If your a decent driver you don't need no stinking traction control unless it is snowing.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

How else are you supppose to drift?

Get notified of new replies

To Who drives with traction control off?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Wicked C5

If your a decent driver you don't need no stinking traction control unless it is snowing.
Never saw any of those in Vegas but it did snow once
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Just look for the threads that start with "I wrecked my Baby"

Comp Mode sometimes for spirited or track. AH on always. If you get sideways you already lost the race so why lose the car too!

Originally Posted by kikker_1999
I usually leave mine on... However I do like the Competitive Driving mode ... Lots of fun there.. and NO loss of control
Absolutely agree...

Originally Posted by jbauch357
normal street driving it usually stays on to keep me in check - anytime I head out for spirited driving, auto-x, or lapping days it comes off...
Why? Does that make your car any faster... What's wrong with you using Comp mode. (unless you're not aware of its benefits)

Originally Posted by BlueDream
You don't need traction control if you know your car. My Vette is a daily driver and is supercharged (603 rwhp). I have mine set up (with a LapTrax device) to automatically go into competitive mode every time the car starts. This turns off the TC but leaves active handling on.

I drive it in all weather conditions. When it is raining I know I can't accelerate as agressively and I don't have to have TC telling me that. I wouldn't try it without AH, but traction control isn't as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.
Totally agree... . There's really no reason to drive with the TC off (regular driving). But as soon as I feel the need to get aggresive, or wanna "take off" from a light, I use the Comp mode. Why would anyone shut off the Tc / AH? TC - off is ok, if you wanna take off real quick, but shutting off AH with it... how does that affect the speed or handling? If anything AH is there to protect you... (JMHO)...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 10-03-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Wow! After reading all these posts I never realized there are so many wussies out there. Turn off your TC and live on the edge once in awhile. Life is too short not to take a risk now and then.

Quick Reply: Who drives with traction control off?