Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR BAG LETTERS THOUGHTs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are in a position where you are deploying a passenger side air bag, you have much bigger problems then the letters coming off and hitting the occupant. If you want to put the letters on and you are not going to do it because you think you might at some point deploy the airbag, time for you to sell your car and start riding a bicycle.

Originally Posted by 99mallett
Shrapnel is the term commonly used to describe the metal fragments and debris thrown out by any exploding object, be it a high explosive (HE) filled shell, a homemade bomb wrapped with nails or ball bearings, or a passenger side airbag with metal letters stuck to it . The word shrapnel is derived from the name of Major-General Henry Shrapnel (1761–1842), an English artillery officer, whose experiments—initially conducted in his own time, and at his own expense—culminated in the design and development of a new type of artillery shell.
The term "Shrapnel" originally referred only to the spherical shot or musket ***** dispersed when a shrapnel shell bursts, and this is still the technical meaning of the term, although it is now used to describe all types of high velocity debris thrown out from an explosion, and makes no differentiation to the process which created or produced the debris. (like an airbag going off with metal letters in it?)
Old 12-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Bell
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally got the thin vinyl ones. They stuck well, looked good, easy to install. But my car is a daily driver I don't put up the sun shade as often as I should. After a year, the corners of the thin vinyl stickers were all coming up. I tried to work directly with cyberdinegraphics to get the exact color I wanted, but they were NOT very helpful. Eventually, I bought the cyberdinegraphics 3D raised letters from SouthernCarParts (the kit with the steering wheel and door sill emblems too). I was surprised at how easily the original thin vinyl ones came off. I cleaned the airbag cover 3 or 4 times with isopropyl alcohol. The 3D letters were easy to install, stuck well, and looked 10 times better than the thin ones. A few weeks after install one leg of one letter came back up. A tiny spot of superglue stuck it right back down. No problems since.

DON'T PUT METAL LETTERS ON THE AIRBAG (reference all the shrapnel posts above).!!!!

GO WITH 3D RAISED LETTERS FROM CYBERDINE (not thin ones)!!!!

SCRUB THE AIRBAG COVER WITH ALCOHOL UNTIL YOU ARE 100% ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE IT'S CLEAN, THEN SCRUB ONCE MORE!!!!

You will love them.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Got my red ones from Cyberdine
Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 AM
LTVetteVert00
Racer

Originally Posted by WickedQuik
If you are in a position where you are deploying a passenger side air bag, you have much bigger problems then the letters coming off and hitting the occupant. If you want to put the letters on and you are not going to do it because you think you might at some point deploy the airbag, time for you to sell your car and start riding a bicycle.
With all this worry over "flying letters", I am surprised we have not warned against loose change in the cupholder or heaven-forbid, a real cup in the cupholder! Those objects are likely to become missiles too...in a crash! Oh, I almost forgot about my tool box that I often carry in the trunk area...just in case? Is it not possible those screwdrivers could fly out and pierce the back of my head were I to hit a tree or bridge? Don't get me started on iPods that might be lying around in the cabin.

LT
Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WetteVette
I went with Cyberdine graphics. 3D type. Polyurethane. Best quality. Stick well. MUST scrub and rinse dash very well no matter which you choose!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Vetteguy53081
Racer

Default airbag decals

I have the red decals, not the plates. Bad enoughto have one deploy god forbid. Then to have a piece of metal greeting you first................. oh boy !!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I just used the alchohol wipes the vendor sent. Decals don't stick worth crap, but they sure do look good. Tried to get in touch with them about some better adhesive, but haven't heard back from them. I would like to do the steering wheel emblem, but will wait until I find out how to apply them so they will stick.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by waddisme
I just used the alchohol wipes the vendor sent. Decals don't stick worth crap, but they sure do look good. Tried to get in touch with them about some better adhesive, but haven't heard back from them. I would like to do the steering wheel emblem, but will wait until I find out how to apply them so they will stick.
Use denatured alcohol.......
Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I used a paint pen and painted my GF's letters when she owned her C5.

Went a bit farther with mine and had the letters re-positioned (lowered) & airbrushed...
Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 99mallett
Shrapnel is the term commonly used to describe the metal fragments and debris thrown out by any exploding object, be it a high explosive (HE) filled shell, a homemade bomb wrapped with nails or ball bearings, or a passenger side airbag with metal letters stuck to it . The word shrapnel is derived from the name of Major-General Henry Shrapnel (1761–1842), an English artillery officer, whose experiments—initially conducted in his own time, and at his own expense—culminated in the design and development of a new type of artillery shell.
The term "Shrapnel" originally referred only to the spherical shot or musket ***** dispersed when a shrapnel shell bursts, and this is still the technical meaning of the term, although it is now used to describe all types of high velocity debris thrown out from an explosion, and makes no differentiation to the process which created or produced the debris. (like an airbag going off with metal letters in it?)
So... you're telling me to install the stainless letters, have my X wife ride as a passenger and run into something???? Ya gotta love it. David
Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Watch this and decide. If the Corvette cover flips up like this one they probably wouldn't hit you. If the stainless letters did hit you however they would definitely leave a mark.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Funn One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrose7004

Quick Reply: AIR BAG LETTERS THOUGHTs