Sponsored by:

Als98C5 was totaled, a bit long but another insurance story

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Als98C5
I'm not a mechanic so I don't know the details of the dis-assembly. The initial estimate said the upper control arm was broken, which I thought was the extent of the suspension damage. During the repair process, the body shop said they found the windsheild frame was also damaged and needed to replace it, I guess that led to other things. The thing that gets me the most is, I called them the first week in Aug and asked to speak to the main guy at the dealership. He asured me the all the parts were there and the car was ready to put back together. This is what I found 3 weeks later when I visited the body shop! I looked at that and said "No Way" With the amount of work being done, I wouldn't feel safe at the track, going 120+ mph. I'm still aiting for GEICO to come back about the "out of pocket" expenses and lack of use for the last 6 months. I don't have rental coverage on my policy but in the beggining of this mess, AllState said they would cover any rental costs since they were covering the claim. I glad I didn't get a rental cause I would be eating that as well
I could have sworn that I've seen this shop on an episode of MSNBC - "To Catch a Shop Without a Clue".

They seriously look like they DON'T know what they're doing.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a similar accident back in 2004 in my C5. I was coming out of a parking lot, crossing 2 lanes of traffic and making a left turn. The car in the closest right lane stopped to let me out but the car in the left lane did not stop. The car impacted just before the front drivers side tire. It destroyed the fender, headlight, bumper, the hood shifted, deflated the tire and scratched the rim. The repair shop thouroughly went through the car to ensure there were no other issues. They only frame damage was a small dimple.

I was found guilty (failure to yield) and the car spent ~5 weeks in the shop with a total repair cost of ~$12000. I found out later the other car (Toyota Corolla) was totalled.

Last edited by Lowcash; 09-24-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Didn't mean to Hijack your thread ...
Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Als98C5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this has taught me a couple of different things. The first being the liability coverage on my policy was $50,000, it has since been raised the $100,000. The few dollors saved on anything less is not worth being sued over. The lady the hit me will probably end paying the difference for quite a while. The second lesson, I will never trust another driver to wave me through traffic, I will decline and wait until I can verify it's all clear before pulling out. The third being, if it ever happens again, I will let my insurance company cover it and not worry about the deductable. AllState really screwed the pooch on this by not reviewing her coverage from the onset. They even authorized a rental car for me. I had the rental for a week (the wife went out of town and we needed a second car briefly) In the end they didnt even cover the $400 they authorized because of the policy limits. Thats now in my out of pocket expenses submitted to GEICO.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

You sure did learn a lot and then you acted on it. Give yourself a GOLD star for that. What you have just stated can really help many on this forum! I hope tonight everybody goes home and looks at their insurance policy. You've got to have 100k property liability at least. You should then look at your entire policy limits.

To have a 1 million umbrella policy is not so far out of the question anymore. Have you people added up your assets lately?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it worked out

Chuck
Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Today I called my insurance company and raised my property damage liability from 25k to 100k for about $12 a year on 3 vehicles. I also checked my liability for bodily injury and raised it from 50k for each person to 100k for an additional $9 a year. Hey, that's only an increase of $21 for all of this additional coverage. I must have been crazy for never checking this out until this thread. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Als98C5 was totaled, a bit long but another insurance story