Sponsored by:

Made it 150ft and got pulled over this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
stax68
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxvalley
... but I'm one of those rare guys that has never had a ticket or pulled over, close as I have come was a few weeks after I got the vette ...
Better prepare yourself..it's probably gonna happen now...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I find this very interesting...seems as though a lot of folks in here are either LEO's or attorneys from what is being said, i.e; they can't do this, they can't do that, if the LEO doesn't show up, can't pull over just one, have to be 10 over, etc, etc.

Put yourself in the shoes of the LEO. Would you want to pull over 12 cars at the same time for speeding? I think not. If you did, you write a citation to the first one, he/she is on their way, 5 minutes. The 12th car has been waiting 60 minutes/1 hour, to get their citation. NOT going to happen, not including which one or two or three or more of them have weapons on them.

Reality is: the signs on the side of the road are there for a reason. Either for your convienence for direction or road hazard, or for safety. I have never seen a speed limit sign that reads "speed limit 40 but not over 50". If it says 40, it means 40, not 41. You CAN get a citation for 1 mph over. A judge may or may not dismiss it. In a school zone, probably not. The laws are there for our safety. If you break the law, be prepared to pay the fine. Off soap box now, flame suit on.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
JROW
Burning Brakes

just watch the dale earnhardt special advertised in your post, you will find the answers to all your problems there

remember, only on cmt!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Just take online traffic school. You'll end up losing less than $100 and the ticket will dissappear from your record. No biggie.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Cscokd
You know, I've been on this forum for several years now and if there's one thing I've really learned, it's to never complain about getting a speeding ticket or talk about doing some spirited driving on this forum because all the saints come out to flame you, show zero sympathy for their forum brother and some evil ones will even wish you harm like "hoping you get a suspended license".: Hypocrites. I have to chuckle because I'm sure they've never ever ever drove over the speed limit themselves and I have to wonder why they aren't driving a Toyota Camry instead of one of the highest performing cars on the market. Enough said. Drive it like you stole it, pay your dues and quickly put it behind you so you can do it all over again. I feel for ya though bro

100%.

I hate people with double standards. Being on this forum for 6 years, I have met a LOT of people and I can PERSONALLY vouch for many people on this forum (I wont name names) who have said that they hate street racing and its bad blah blah blah...... but yet, these people street raced with that one FactoryRaceCar guy and got owned bad.

Everyone has done it at one point or the other. It takes a big man to admit it on public forum. Have I done it in the past? YES. Do I do it anymore? 99% No 1% Yes.

Now, I am NOT condoning street racing in any shape or form so haters, do not interpret my post as such and speeding even 1 over in residential or school zone is a complete NO NO

Originally Posted by btchn99
Female cop, moms in minivans, kids at school=dude in vette gets the ticket I take my daughter to school every day and there are tons of moms that are more than willing to cause an accident trying to get there before everyone else---funny I just said that to my daughter yesterday too--I better be careful this morning

Good luck---sounds like crap to me---from a school mom Not in a minivan
I usually have awesome luck with female cops. :o

You will be surprised if I told you how many female minivan/SUV drivers with children aboard have tried to street race me
Old 08-31-2007, 11:23 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to work for law enforcement (I had a civilian job). I had a conversation with a traffic cop who also owned a vette. He told me that when a group of cars is speeding, the entire group is violating the speed limit so it is up to the LEO to decide who they should pull over. Sometimes it's the first car, sometimes the last, sometimes it's random, and sometimes they choose a good looking or bad looking car. There is not a set "rule" that LEO's are governed by when a group of cars are speeding, it all depends on the cop and what their decision is at that moment.

He admittedly said that if a group of cars is speeding he'll pick the sports car, vette or otherwise. He also told me that he knows other LEOs that will pick out the trashiest vehicle in that situation in hopes to catch them for something else like possession of drugs, DUI, etc.

You were speeding and "going with the flow" is NEVER a good idea with a vette... you can't blend in at all. If you were driving a different vehicle you probably wouldn't have been pulled.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
100%.

I hate people with double standards. Being on this forum for 6 years, I have met a LOT of people and I can PERSONALLY vouch for many people on this forum (I wont name names) who have said that they hate street racing and its bad blah blah blah...... but yet, these people street raced with that one FactoryRaceCar guy and got owned bad.

Everyone has done it at one point or the other. It takes a big man to admit it on public forum. Have I done it in the past? YES. Do I do it anymore? 99% No 1% Yes.

Now, I am NOT condoning street racing in any shape or form so haters, do not interpret my post as such and speeding even 1 over in residential or school zone is a complete NO NO

I usually have awesome luck with female cops. :o

You will be surprised if I told you how many female minivan/SUV drivers with children aboard have tried to street race me
Isn't that a big surprise

Probably just as many as I have had of men in their PU's trying to chase me up the highway
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

^^^^^ are you FBI?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:54 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
^^^^^ are you FBI?
As a matter of fact I am (and had a t-shirt to prove it)

Fun
Beautiful
Intelligent

Of course it could also translate to

F*&%ed up
B*&chy
Irrational

But that is only once a month

Last edited by btchn99; 08-31-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM
2000_Convertible
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

A good attorney will cost you $300+ an hour... just telling him/her your story will eat up more than the fine. If you want to go to court, tell your story yourself, but when it comes to the part about how fast you were going, how are you going to say 5-7 over without it sounding like a bad thing? I would just go to the cashier and pay the fine.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Well that sucks, but depending on what state/city you're in, you can fight it, plead not guilty and have it knocked down for little or no money. I got nailed for 14 over (I was in the flow of traffic and 40 yards from the 40mph sign) and the guy was a bit of a jerk, and refused to even talk to me about it, my record was clean and clear until that point.. Thankfully my car insurance company says my insurance won't go up (Thanks Geico!).

If I'm in a hurry I take the Grand Prix... the 2006, bright red grand prix flies way further under the radar than the blue corvette... I also stop and talk to cops that are clocking on the side of the road and ask them what they're pulling people over for today... 90% are very nice and remind me that the traffic cops in our town nearly always have the 10mph threshold in place (9 your fine 10 your mine) except of course in construction and school zones. I'm extra careful in the Vette now, and NEVER follow traffic if it's more than 10 over. Now, on the interstate.... that's another story!!

G/L fighting it, for everyone that told you to just suck it up and pay it, that's fine for them, you have the right to go fight it, if the state/city lets you off with a lesser offense because it costs them more/ they don't want to deal with it despite your guilt, that's their problem!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 PM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

Location: The Surgeon General has warned that it's ok to smoke mustangs!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Hey bro,

Was this the same road we did 105 on
Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

It must of been that 150' burnout you did

I have yet to get pulled over in mine! I'm sure there will be a day soon!

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

school zones are the biggest I've ever seen. there's one around my house which slows down traffic for no freaken reason. the school is about 1/2 mile away down an intersecting road...literally on the other side of the neighborhood from where the school zone is. I've never seen a kid run out into the street in a school zone. some of them have their lights timed automatically so when school is canceled, or out of session the lights still come on. there was one in between one house I lived in and school, the lights would turn on for about 2.5 hours in the morning and another 2.5 in the evening. my schedule was varied so over the year I watched when they came on and off. school started around 8, buses would come and go within 15 minutes of that time, but the lights would come on around 7, and wouldn't go off until around 9:30.

one time I got so pissed off that when a bus got behind me on its way to bring the kids to school I slowed down to about 5mph for the whole mile trip through the zone. bus driver was about 18" off my bumper but there was no room to get that big boat around me.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 5W0P3
So i do my normal, back out of the garage, roll the windows down for some morning air, pull out into the street, turn on the major street, pull up to the light and wait. There were cars infront of me. Light turned green, i know i'm in a school zone. I go across the light, still in first gear, look up, and there is a motorcycle cop hiding next to a crepe mertyl tree in an oncoming turn lane. As i pass her, she starts going and getting ready to make a U turn. I've now shifted to second gear. And I continue moving along with the flow of traffic. She goes around the cars behind me and pulls ME over.

The part i'm confused/pissed about is... I got a ticket for 30mph in a 20 mph school zone. Wouldn't the cars infront of me have to be doing 30mph aswell, for me to be going 30mph!? And if so... why didn't THEY get the ticket?! Is it cause I wasn't driving a minivan like the rest of the soccer mom's that were around me?!

The plan right now is to talk to a judge/da about getting it reduced or dismissed. But... thats why i want ya'll opinions.
My advice: See a cop..........go the speed limit!
Old 09-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Drav1212
Instructor

usually they can not issue a ticket for going over 5 MPH over the posted speed limit. So, I am not sure if they can reduce it for you. 10mph over the speed limit is the lowest you can go. If they reduce it to 6mph, point wise, it will be assessed the same amount of points. as if you were 10mph. Not sure if you can understand that.

I live in a **** zone too, You just have to learn to drive at a crawl.

We got millions of illegal aliens invading this country, brining their drugs and guns, but we still got cops hiding behind bushes ready to catch speeders.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Drav1212
usually they can not issue a ticket for going over 5 MPH over the posted speed limit. So, I am not sure if they can reduce it for you. 10mph over the speed limit is the lowest you can go.
I was a police officer for 34 years and never knew that. I guess I should have visited this forum more often to update myself on enforcement related issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Made it 150ft and got pulled over this morning

Old 09-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

we have lots of experts here
Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
env00
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 30mph? That's a disgrace to the fine automobile you drive...

.....I can't drive fifty-fiveeeeeee......

Old 09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Dude, You got a ticket from a female motor cop ?

That's hot. she probably wanted you

Quick Reply: Made it 150ft and got pulled over this morning