Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Broken Ti Muffler ? - Durability issues with the Titanium Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if the car was tuned, you could hear popping sound on deceleration as the unburned fuel ignites in the exhaust. not good for your cat converters

another issue I had is the pipe that connects the muffler to the midpipe slightly bending with time, which changes geometry of how the exhaust is mounted and it starts hitting various things (which could also sound like a rattle).
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably not the cat-back. I'd bet it's the h-pipe. I had a similar issue that was cured when I switched to longtube headers and a new x pipe.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Just to let the OP know that after I took off the Ti exhaust all rattling went away...as mentioned with the mufflers off I can bang on the outside of both mufflers and hear rattles. Seems to be a durability issue with some. These were off an 03 Z too...as I sold my original Z06 Ti exhaust back in 2003. I also never had the rattle with the Borla Stingers....as mentioned I put these 03 Ti exhaust on recently and they were good for about 1 month..then after some hard accelerations they started to rattle...I think it is safe to say that what ever packing is in them...can come loose. It may just take longer for other depending on the way they drive or maybe the actually quality control during assembly.

Rather then assume just tell your mech or you can actually just lay down on the ground and bang on the mufflers with the palm or you hand...it was obvious when I did it...even without a stethoscope.... I also used a stethoscope up and down my whole exhaust system when it was on my lift and not running...then started the car and listened again for the same rattle...it was ALWAYs present in the mufflers...so you should be able to hear it.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 08-10-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I split the slide of a Ti muffler. Passenger side on the outside of the muffler. Made a hell of a mess with my wiring and rear bumper.

The muffler never made any funny noises right up until it split. Then it was loud as hell. Happened to me on track and I couldn't get the car into the pit area fast enough before the damage was done. Titanium will not stand up to the heat stainless steel exhausts will. At least not the way GM made them. 3 of the 4 tips on mufflers were blue along with lots of places on the pipe. Apparently I got them a bit hot

One thing I figured out later that contributed to the problem. I had wrapped the pipes from the muffler to the flange in high temp header wrap material. This was to deflect heat away from the trans/diff while I was on track. Worked well as far as I never got a trans overtemp warning. I think it made the Ti muffler run hotter than it wanted to. Either that or it was a fluke. My drivers side Ti muffler is a solid as can be. Shows no deterioration.
are they packed with something (like a normal passenger car muffler- like steel wool, etc.)
or
are they purely baffled (like a flowmaster- no filler at all- just metal baffles)??

there was a big debate and noone was able to provide pics a little while ago.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TGstring
are they packed with something (like a normal passenger car muffler- like steel wool, etc.)
or
are they purely baffled (like a flowmaster- no filler at all- just metal baffles)??

there was a big debate and noone was able to provide pics a little while ago.
My Ti exhaust has heald up with no issues at 160k. The flanges indicate that Teneco (Walker) is probably the OEM supplier and is baffled.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyarias
My Ti exhaust has heald up with no issues at 160k. The flanges indicate that Teneco (Walker) is probably the OEM supplier and is baffled.
Negative.

TiMet is the company that did the OEM C5Z exhaust...

I do not believe they have anything to do with Teneco.

A pic of the C5Z muffler opened up is one of the most elusive pics to be found online and in this forum.

HTH,
Tommy
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TGstring
Negative.

TiMet is the company that did the OEM C5Z exhaust...

I do not believe they have anything to do with Teneco.

A pic of the C5Z muffler opened up is one of the most elusive pics to be found online and in this forum.

HTH,
Tommy
The flanges on my Ti exhaust has a teneco/Walker number on it. I know that Teneco makes most of the OEM exhausts for GM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

My Z06 rattled on decell just as you are describing. it did this when I bought the car with 70K on it.

I installed Long Tubes, X-pipe and did the Ti bypass mod and I have not had any rattles since.

Titanium if not welded properly will get brittle and over time cracks will most definately occure. I work on Aircraft and our section has a weld shop that sees quite a bit of titanium weld repairs. Keeping the material cool is very important when welding.

I highly doubt that the titanuim has issues withstanding the heat generated by the LS6 even the Turbo LS6. Titanium is used on many turbine engine components and is a good choice for race applications and aviation due to it's strength, light weight, and Low thermal conductivity. It does lose strength in heat above 800* F.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

That's weird. This thread was brought back from the dead two years to the day from when it died.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Texan1Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z does this same thing as described by the OP, right down to the temp. at which it occurs, identical.

Can anyone recommend an exhaust that most closely reproduces the same decibel level/sound quality at idle, cruise and WOT as the Ti exhaust?

Does anyone know what oem replacement mufflers cost?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:00 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texan1Z06
My Z does this same thing as described by the OP, right down to the temp. at which it occurs, identical.

Can anyone recommend an exhaust that most closely reproduces the same decibel level/sound quality at idle, cruise and WOT as the Ti exhaust?

Thanks!
I personally would look here on the forum and find myself a nice used set and see if the a welder could fix the old one after taking the muffler apart.....

-Ed
Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texan1Z06

Thanks!

Mine stopped after installing Long tubes and X-pipe. Had the Ti-bypass mod done as well. Sounds great.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Texan1Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
Mine stopped after installing Long tubes and X-pipe. Had the Ti-bypass mod done as well. Sounds great.
I understand that some issues are cleared up by using an x-pipe..but if the mufflers are bad and internally breaking down, how can that completely be the issue? I'm assuming my mufflers are the cause here based on the op's comments.

which x-pipe? name and price?

Not sure the exact reason for the bypass or if anyone does that here in Houston. But I will be reading thru this thread tonight.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-complete.html

thx

Last edited by Texan1Z06; 09-23-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

KEWL...a dead thread that folks still don't know the answer......can't believe someone with a bad set and fire-breathing hacksaw hadn't solved this..
Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 AM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Being the thread starter, I just wanted to update everyone. I didn’t do anything on the matter since I was hoping that the problem might solve itself by switched to an X-pipe when I installed the LT headers a while ago. Well, the “problem” still exists, when the car is decelerating after being run hard.
I did a small video that should be able to show everyone the rattle sound I’m talking about. It’s noticeable as soon as I let off the accelerator before running into redline in order to shift into the next higher gear…. It can also be heard as soon as the car in the video is no longer insight, that’s when I let off the accelerator too.
Maybe other people who have the same complaint can verify if this is the same rattle their getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVW9cciO1k4

Last edited by EBM_Z06; 09-25-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Ti Muffler ? - Durability issues with the Titanium Exhaust

Old 09-25-2009, 12:15 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

I have never heard a noise that's anything like your video, are you 100% sure it's the muffler?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:30 PM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by longdaddy
I have never heard a noise that's anything like your video, are you 100% sure it's the muffler?

Well, what else could it be ? Since the only stock part of the exhaust is the Ti catback. Headers, Xpipe and high flow cats didn't do anything as far as changing that noise.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

something mechanical? Can you reproduce it with/without operating the clutch?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Broken Ti Muffler ? - Durability issues with the Titanium Exhaust