Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch **textralia** Help Needed ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:12 AM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default UPDATE......Clutch **textralia** Help Needed ! ! !

Well today I bleed the clutch again several times and also used a mightyvac on the resevoir to try and pull some vacuum to suck the bubbles to the top then I bleed it again several more times. So after all of that it still did not work I have a gut feeling that maybe a spring in the clutch broke or one of the pressure plate fingers bent or broke. I will be removing everything to inspect my clutch and slave. Wish me luck.

If anyone has any websites with s detailed description of how to do the clutch install that would help me greatly.

P.S. I'm doing a search also for these sites but all help is appriciated. I need this car rolling before Carlisle.

Below was previous post...
For some reason my clutch is not fully disengaging ! ! !

I have a TEXTRALIA OZ700, new GM LS6 slave, new GM LS6 clutch master. This setup worked fine for about 800 miles and now it doesn't. I don't see any fluid leaking under the car where the slave could be dripping fluid if it failed for some reason. I bleed the clutch yesterday and I was able to get it started again today but the thing is still hard to get into gear kind of like it isn't fully disengaging. I don't hear and weird sounds while running nor when I try and put it in gear.

Someone PLEASE HELP. I did a search and nothing turned up.

Thanks,
John
Levittown, NY

Last edited by 2004SpiralGrey; 08-05-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:05 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

anyone out there today...
Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 PM
TOL8IWIN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is no fluid leaking, I would stick for now to bleed the clutch, it may take a few times. As far as it working for 800miles then an issue I have had a brand new slave mess up about 500km after install on one Vette I did. MAke sure your line is not kinked from the resevoir!

I have the same set up you have the OZ 700 wit hstock slave and master with my new stroker and 1500km no problem, I love the way the clutch feels.

You have not been bad to your clutch have you!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOL8IWIN
If there is no fluid leaking, I would stick for now to bleed the clutch, it may take a few times. As far as it working for 800miles then an issue I have had a brand new slave mess up about 500km after install on one Vette I did. MAke sure your line is not kinked from the resevoir!

I have the same set up you have the OZ 700 wit hstock slave and master with my new stroker and 1500km no problem, I love the way the clutch feels.

You have not been bad to your clutch have you!
Never launched the car. No kink at the resevoir. I bleed it about 10 times yesterday. If something with the slave was messed up, wouldn't there be a puddle of fluid on the ground under the car? This is really driving me crazy. I couldn't take the Vette to Carlisle last year because I was replacing the motor that I blew up. Now with Carlisle approaching fast I don't think I'm going to have it done by then. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone else ever have this problem??? How did you solve it???
Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 PM
TOL8IWIN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slave that went bad on my friends car had the bearing and spring all damaged, would not slide well along its shaft, at the time it was the most updated part # from the General! As for install I am very carefull and all by hand and torque wrench used for everything.
When under the car you should be able to hear the springs when they are compressed, if there is no action down there and you still have your other master pop it back it, it does not take long! I would do that then bleed again before taking the car apart.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SOUNDS LIKE GOOD ADVICE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOUR STILL STUCK TRY PM ENGLAND GREEN HE`S DONE A BUNCH
OF THIS EXACT INSTALL.GAWD SAKE DONT TAKE IT APART TILL YOU HAVE TO, RIGHT.GOOD LUCK
Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

ttt
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004SpiralGrey
Well today I bleed the clutch again several times and also used a mightyvac on the resevoir to try and pull some vacuum to suck the bubbles to the top then I bleed it again several more times. So after all of that it still did not work I have a gut feeling that maybe a spring in the clutch broke or one of the pressure plate fingers bent or broke. I will be removing everything to inspect my clutch and slave. Wish me luck.

If anyone has any websites with s detailed description of how to do the clutch install that would help me greatly.

P.S. I'm doing a search also for these sites but all help is appriciated. I need this car rolling before Carlisle.

Below was previous post...
For some reason my clutch is not fully disengaging ! ! !

I have a TEXTRALIA OZ700, new GM LS6 slave, new GM LS6 clutch master. This setup worked fine for about 800 miles and now it doesn't. I don't see any fluid leaking under the car where the slave could be dripping fluid if it failed for some reason. I bleed the clutch yesterday and I was able to get it started again today but the thing is still hard to get into gear kind of like it isn't fully disengaging. I don't hear and weird sounds while running nor when I try and put it in gear.

Someone PLEASE HELP. I did a search and nothing turned up.

Thanks,
John
Levittown, NY
doing the clutch isn't as hard as people make it out to be as long as you have the right tools. there are a couple really good write-ups by members Dope & cajundude (i think thats his s/n).

one thing you can check before you have to rip it out is the engaugment by removing the inspection plate on the bell housing. If you have LT headers you'll need to loosen them first. then remove the inspection plate and have someone press the clutch while you're under the car. You should be able to see the slave compressing the PP and if you are able to 'wiggle' the disc when the clutch is fully depressed then you likely have a problem in the trans.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

one thing I forgot to mention, see if you can get into all the gears smoothly with the engine off. if you can then your problem is more then likely the clutch, if not then I'd bet your trans is an issue.

good luck
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 AM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
one thing I forgot to mention, see if you can get into all the gears smoothly with the engine off. if you can then your problem is more then likely the clutch, if not then I'd bet your trans is an issue.

good luck
I tried that and it slides very smoothly into gear with the car off it is only when the car is running when I have the issue. Before I start ripping out the rear I'll inspect the clutch disc with the bell housing open and see if I can see anything weird in there. After that I'll be pulling everything. I found those write-ups...Thanks...They are definitly going to be a big help. It doesn't look so bad I have a motorcycle jack that I will use for the cradle. I have basic tools nothing special around my house. But I guess I can make use of them.

Thanks...I'll keep everyone updated,
-John
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I tried that and it slides very smoothly into gear with the car off it is only when the car is running when I have the issue. Before I start ripping out the rear I'll inspect the clutch disc with the bell housing open and see if I can see anything weird in there. After that I'll be pulling everything. I found those write-ups...Thanks...They are definitly going to be a big help. It doesn't look so bad I have a motorcycle jack that I will use for the cradle. I have basic tools nothing special around my house. But I guess I can make use of them.

Thanks...I'll keep everyone updated,
-John
sounds like something with the clutch. keep us updated on what you find when you remove the inspection plate.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

I e-mailed Textralia and within a matter of minutes Peter called me back and he said that it sounds more like my pressure plate bolts came loose a little. They said if it comes loose even by a 1/4 turn I could experience this problem. Tomorrow I am going to crawl under there and take one bolt out at a time and put some red locktite and re-tourque it down. I'll keep you all updated.

That is the fastest customer service I have ever recieved...and they are 1/2 way around the world !
Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Ok so I did everything that I was told to try and do but no change. Everything looked good from what I can see EXCEPT for a little piece of metal that looks like it might have broke inside there it is about the size of an eraser head. Sorry no pics yet. I e-mail Peter again and I hope that I can be replaced under warranty I don't have the money to lay out for another clutch AND I need it to be rolling for Carlisle ! Only 2 weeks away

I e-mailed Textralia and within a matter of minutes Peter called me back and he said that it sounds more like my pressure plate bolts came loose a little. They said if it comes loose even by a 1/4 turn I could experience this problem. Tomorrow I am going to crawl under there and take one bolt out at a time and put some red locktite and re-tourque it down. I'll keep you all updated.

That is the fastest customer service I have ever recieved...and they are 1/2 way around the world !
Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Pull the inspection cover and check the pp bolts before you pull everything apart. If you find one loose, pull them all (one at a time) and use Loc Tite.

If you need the Dope install I think it is on my tech page at www.cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm. If it is not, I have the pdf I can email you.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Ok so I did everything that I was told to try and do but no change. Everything looked good from what I can see EXCEPT for a little piece of metal that looks like it might have broke inside there it is about the size of an eraser head. Sorry no pics yet. I e-mail Peter again and I hope that I can be replaced under warranty I don't have the money to lay out for another clutch AND I need it to be rolling for Carlisle ! Only 2 weeks away
bummer, that sounds like one of the springs on the clutch hub might have broke. were you bangin gears or doing any kind of launching that would have shocked the drivetrain?

question; when you had the inspection plate off, did you have someone step on the clutch and were you able to wiggle the disc a little bit?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
bummer, that sounds like one of the springs on the clutch hub might have broke. were you bangin gears or doing any kind of launching that would have shocked the drivetrain?

question; when you had the inspection plate off, did you have someone step on the clutch and were you able to wiggle the disc a little bit?
If it were a clutch spring wouldn't I hear some kind of noise? I did have some one press the clutch down and it was loose. I haven't even beaten on it at all...I just put new motor in it with the new clutch and I was still breaking in the motor. SO SO confused ! ! !
Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

If it were a clutch spring wouldn't I hear some kind of noise? I did have some one press the clutch down and it was loose. I haven't even beaten on it at all...I just put new motor in it with the new clutch and I was still breaking in the motor. SO SO confused ! ! !
if you were able to wiggle the disc when the clutch pedal was pushed then it 'should' be releasing. Was the pilot bearing relaced along with everything else?

Also, you said you installed a new motor. Is it completly stock or do you have any aftermarket parts like an Eagle crank by any chance?

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch **textralia** Help Needed ! ! !

Old 08-10-2007, 08:02 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

As far as that little metal peice being part of the spring you may or may not have heard anything if/when it broke. I've snapped rivits and busted straps on many a PP and you usually don't hear a sound or feel anything until you need to shift. I all those cases where I broke parts I was at the track driving aggressivley.

Any rate if you see a forgin object in there your clutch will need to come out because something broke. That little peice of metal could be exactly whats not letting the disc release.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you have an old bleeder, I have seen some of them leak; We have started using RPM Motors/Charlie's bleeders in the past few months with no problems

both slave/master were replaced with new '04 Z06 units?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve@EnglandGreen
If you have an old bleeder, I have seen some of them leak; We have started using RPM Motors/Charlie's bleeders in the past few months with no problems

both slave/master were replaced with new '04 Z06 units?
yes both with GM Z06 units...I am baffled.

Quick Reply: Clutch **textralia** Help Needed ! ! !