Sponsored by:

camshaft that will be easier to pass smog sniffer in ca

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 04:50 AM
Peacelsc5
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default camshaft that will be easier to pass smog sniffer in ca

Hello all, i apologize in advance if this was asked before, but i am looking for a camshaft that would be drivable and would still pass cali smog with a good tune. i have heard about the lingenfelter gt2-3 but cannot seem to find one available. i have heard countless others but wouldnt necessarily know where to start. as of now the only performance mods i have is an intake and axleback exhaust. any advice/links would be heavily appreciated. thank you in advance and have a wonderful day
The following users liked this post:
Honkey Tonk (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 09:46 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Run any cam you want and use E85. You'll pass without a problem.

Unfortunately, that means a whole new fuel system and that is pricey.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:47 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Knowing about California's smog issues, Wife and I watched Formula Drifting last night, we thought it was funny watching all the smoke and high HP cars
Old 11-21-2023, 10:59 AM
LouDogg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacelsc5
Hello all, i apologize in advance if this was asked before, but i am looking for a camshaft that would be drivable and would still pass cali smog with a good tune. i have heard about the lingenfelter gt2-3 but cannot seem to find one available. i have heard countless others but wouldnt necessarily know where to start. as of now the only performance mods i have is an intake and axleback exhaust. any advice/links would be heavily appreciated. thank you in advance and have a wonderful day
I live in CA and I know that CA SMOG is now looking for tunes on vehicles now. Here's an article from Google.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...or-tuned-cars/
"As of July 19, 2021, BAR will expand this testing procedure beyond the standard visual inspection and tailpipe test. Now, OBDII-equipped cars and trucks from 1996 or newer will be checked to make sure they're running factory software or a CARB-approved ECU tune."
Old 11-21-2023, 11:17 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb
Run any cam you want and use E85. You'll pass without a problem.

Unfortunately, that means a whole new fuel system and that is pricey.
How would the OP pass the smog test with "any cam he wants" when a tune will instantly fail the car? AFAIK, any tune done to the PCM is now detectable by the smog police, and they can tell if it has been tuned, then returned to a stock tune in hopes of passing. Not to be a wise guy at all, but your answer is a short, simple reply to a very complex question. Hopefully some Commiefornia owners will chime in....
Old 11-21-2023, 05:59 PM
01magnetic01
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with LouDogg, and unless that intake is CARB certified with a sticker, they'll fail you on the visual, won't even need to plug into the OBDII port.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:18 PM
SSkull
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

In regards to where you mentioned that they can tell if it has been tuned then returned to a stock tune to pass, they have no issue with anything as far as that. As long as whatever tune you're running is CARB compliant(so either factory tune, or an approved tune like an A&A Supercharger supplied tune or what have you) and you've put those first miles on for all the emissions systems to read as ready, the car will be fine passing.

You can swap your tune as many times as you want between whatever non-legal tune and factory/approved tune. As long as the one you're running during the smog test is an approved tune you're good.

Only pointing it out because it seemed like you specified that situation for a reason and just wanna make sure it's clear for the future if any people are researching the forum on what's currently California smog legal or not cause I was worried that I was gonna have headaches when it was time to smog my Z06.

Completely agree with you on the guys car not passing smog with a tune and even a small cam cause the custom, unapproved tune will immediately fail the car. I do know some people have said to run a baby cam that doesn't require a tune, but just benefits more from a custom tune so you could just run stock tune with the baby cam during the smog, and then swap back to your custom tune. But to me it defeats the purpose of going through the effort of camming the engine if you're gonna run such a mildly different cam that it doesn't even need a tune, it's like why bother because the added power is gonna be barely there.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:07 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,302 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In Ca the best way to beat the smog check is going to lower rear gears. I had 3.90s installed when I lived in Torrance, and they woke up the acceleration big time and were fine on the “freeways”.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:45 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by SSkull
In regards to where you mentioned that they can tell if it has been tuned then returned to a stock tune to pass, they have no issue with anything as far as that. As long as whatever tune you're running is CARB compliant(so either factory tune, or an approved tune like an A&A Supercharger supplied tune or what have you) and you've put those first miles on for all the emissions systems to read as ready, the car will be fine passing.

You can swap your tune as many times as you want between whatever non-legal tune and factory/approved tune. As long as the one you're running during the smog test is an approved tune you're good.

Only pointing it out because it seemed like you specified that situation for a reason and just wanna make sure it's clear for the future if any people are researching the forum on what's currently California smog legal or not cause I was worried that I was gonna have headaches when it was time to smog my Z06.

Completely agree with you on the guys car not passing smog with a tune and even a small cam cause the custom, unapproved tune will immediately fail the car. I do know some people have said to run a baby cam that doesn't require a tune, but just benefits more from a custom tune so you could just run stock tune with the baby cam during the smog, and then swap back to your custom tune. But to me it defeats the purpose of going through the effort of camming the engine if you're gonna run such a mildly different cam that it doesn't even need a tune, it's like why bother because the added power is gonna be barely there.
On the older PCMs, the tunes can, and did, leave what I've heard called "fingerprints." In other words, even when a tune has been returned to stock, dealers, and now smog police, can tell if the tune has ever been altered. Which would void warranties for dealers, and fail the smog tests even with a stock tune reuploaded. Besides, smog police would fail you with a sniffer with a decent cam and stock tune, because the car would probably not even idle, and would trip the mil lamp for sure. I wish the OP luck.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:31 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

You are going to be limited to something like this;

https://www.compcams.com/fsl-210-218...ii-iv-cpg.html

With the recent changes in the smog testing, I have heard individuals talking about sourcing a second dead stock PCM (no tuner finger prints) for use during the smog testing secession (not idea if that will work or not).
The following users liked this post:
vette4fl (11-26-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To camshaft that will be easier to pass smog sniffer in ca

Quick Reply: camshaft that will be easier to pass smog sniffer in ca