C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Rear Window - How to Refasten

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 AM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzysezit
I have the glue, the suction cups, everything in a kit for any other Vette owner that needs this repair. I would be happy to send the kit to you to save you the cost of all the stuff. you can PM me if you like. No sense in you buying it all if I already have it available.
thanks once again for letting me use your stuff to get my back window put back in, I sent you an email asking your address to get this back to you, members like you make this forum great

Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZfidyONE-84
thanks once again for letting me use your stuff to get my back window put back in, I sent you an email asking your address to get this back to you, members like you make this forum great

You are more than welcome Im glad I was able to help a fellow Vetter with this repair. I hope all went well for you and the repair was as easy as mine was!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ozzysezit
You are more than welcome Im glad I was able to help a fellow Vetter with this repair. I hope all went well for you and the repair was as easy as mine was!
seemed to go easy, did my heart no good putting the top down for the first time not knowing how the top folded down, and hearing Velcro detaching I almost shat I thought I done broke it already
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

One-84 has sent the kit back, so if any other Vert Vette owners need it, plz pm or ask. There is more than enough glue to fix probably 100 more tops. I do not mind sharing. As said before, the rope, pulleys, suction cups, gloves, alcohol pads, glue, its all there. Sorry guys, there is no beer in the kit.
I am more than happy to help any others that need to glue the back window in.
Gem did an awesome writeup for this that helped every Vert. Vette owner, so I would also like to help by offering the kit to any that need this repair.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Great thread nearly 6 yrs old and still growing - shows how many vert tops come separated from the back glass! Rhino glue may be the one that works, I don't know, but I do know that JB Weld is a waste of time to try. Mine came apart last night while washing it, since we can't get Rhino glue around here, I tried JB Weld...does not work....let it dry overnight with some clamps holding it together and It came apart this am....looks like I have to try and get some Rhino glue somehow and try again...

Last edited by dankhts; 06-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Rhinoglue.com its about $20 bucks but well worth it!!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
c5corvette02rt
4th Gear

Thanks so much for the excellent info. Let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I wonder if the C6, or C4 for that matter, is having or will have this problem. If not, what did GM do different for those generations of Corvette?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
c5corvette02rt
4th Gear

Where are you located and how do I get in touch ? I'm interested in you offer.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:19 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks to the OP and everyone else who posted on this thread - got the Rhino Glue, PITA to get it here in Canada, comes mail order from KALIFORNIA , but that's to all the instructions and pics, fixed my vert back window, this glue is kick a$$ and works like everyone says!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM
c5corvette02rt
4th Gear

Default C5 Convertible rear window repair

I want to thank GEM for his very exact and easy to follow instructions on replacing rear window in a C5 convertible, including photos. Followed your instructions to a "T" and so far so good. You saved me approximately $1200. Is your repair still holding up ? Thanks again, Ill keep you posted on mine. Ron T.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM
outlawsix
Advanced

Yall just saved my bacon...and I do love bacon! Noticed that my back glass had partially separated. Just ordered some rhino glue, so hopefully it arrives soon.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM
saxtonfwd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, followed the instructions, used the Rhino Glue and very happy with the results. Only minor change I used my Cell phone/ Nav suction cup holder to hold the window with the rope. Saved $ and worked perfect. Thanks again for keeping this thread alive for some many years, still the best remedy....
Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Seriously, why isn't this thread a sticky yet!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
John Y65
1st Gear

I performed this repair a month ago on my '02 and it was reasonably easy. My rear window was completely dis-attached from the top. I used a roll of paper towels to prop the front edge of the top up to take tension off the fabric. I attached the suction cups like all the pictures have shown and ran the cords perpendicular to the window to an eye that I had screwed into the ceiling rafter. I tied the cords off to a receiver hitch that weighs about 45 lbs to maintain tension on the window. The hitch kept enough tension on the window to keep it in place and it also allowed me to move the window around to properly position it. I worked in 4 inch (ish) sections with an assistant on the inside of the car. I used alcohol to clean the window and the top where they would be joined . Luckily, there was a very faint hard water line on the glass that indicated where the top used to cover the window that I was able to use as a guide to perfectly position the top on the window. We started in middle of the top edge and worked out towards the corners. I read quite a bit about people having difficulties with the top bunching up from being pulled sideways versus straight onto the window. We did our best to make sure we were never putting any sideways tension on the top as we were gluing. This method seemed to work adequately to prevent any bunching. I applied the glue in a VVVVV pattern, then I would press down from the outside, my assistant would press up from inside and we would hold it tight for 90 seconds, then we would move on to the next section. The Rhino glue came with a 'tool kit' which consisted of several useful tips that were very thin which came in handy for being able to apply the glue accurately. Occasionally, a little glue would squeeze out when we would press and hold. After it was dry, the glue cleaned up easily with acetone. I was very careful to make sure that I didn't get glue on the fabric. The job took us about an hour and a half from start to finish. I gave it 24 hours before pulling out the paper towels and re-securing the front of the top. I wasn't going to try the automated car wash test but I did wash the entire repair area with soapy warm water, dried it, and then washed the window inside and out with window cleaner. I don't drive that car much this time of year but it has got wet a couple of times since the repair. I've encountered no leaks and the appearance is as good as new.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Zpreston
Cruising

Used double sided tape 6-8 months ago
Took 20 min.
Still holding fine .
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 AM
LTC Hutto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did mine about nine months ago, July I think. daily driver, all kinds of weather, Extreme heat, extreme cold even down to zero, rain, snow, no problem whatsoever. You rule rhino glue!

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Rear Window - How to Refasten

Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Kevin Provance
2nd Gear

I believe this thread will save me the cost of a new top...well, maybe. I fear my top has shrunk a bit, so that the rear window doesn't line up proper with the top edge. I'm thinking an addition weathstrip doubled under the top and the window may extend it's life a few more years?

I used transparent CSV glue a couple years ago and it worked up until last week. The bugger is coming undone again. I may have to shell out for this Rhino glue after all, as it's way cheaper than the alternative.

I get that I'll have to razor blade off the rsidue off the glass, easy peasy. But what about the inside of the top itself? I don't think taking a razor blade to that would produce the desired result. Is there an easier way to get that resi off the inside of the top before going the Rhino solution?

Thanks all!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Provance
I believe this thread will save me the cost of a new top...well, maybe. I fear my top has shrunk a bit, so that the rear window doesn't line up proper with the top edge. I'm thinking an addition weathstrip doubled under the top and the window may extend it's life a few more years?

I used transparent CSV glue a couple years ago and it worked up until last week. The bugger is coming undone again. I may have to shell out for this Rhino glue after all, as it's way cheaper than the alternative.

I get that I'll have to razor blade off the rsidue off the glass, easy peasy. But what about the inside of the top itself? I don't think taking a razor blade to that would produce the desired result. Is there an easier way to get that resi off the inside of the top before going the Rhino solution?

Thanks all!
That's the problem with using any other type of glue. Once you contaminate the area to be glued , then the Rhino glue won't do it's job as well . People make the mistake all to often and regret it when they realize that they just ruined the top.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Cocked and Locked
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Great post. I'm going to try it for the top passenger side corner that has just started to separate.

Quick Reply: Convertible Rear Window - How to Refasten