Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Gas Odor In Garage After Fill Up! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
ThanksGM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Gas Odor In Garage After Fill Up! Why?

Every time we gas up our '02 vert and then park it in our garage, there is a strong, lingeriing gas smell that fills the garage. What could be the cause? A dealership mechanic told us it could possibly be the crossover tube that goes between the two gas tanks. Has anyone experienced this? If so, is there a "fix"?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you "topping off" your tank after the hose shuts off automatically? Is it extremely hot in your garage? Gasoline will expand in the heat. Could be just a little overflow.

However, just to be on the safe side, I would check out under the hood and under the car for possible leaks.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

There are a few possibillities:

- up have a leaking fuel filter
- you have a crack in the top of one of your tanks
- the fuel filler assembley is leaking

these are among the more common causes of your symptom, at least as far as I have seen.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 919 Likes on 455 Posts

I had this happen once in December with my 04. It is one of the reasons I am considering a GMPP. I don't know how or why it only happened once for me, but I would definitely monitor this closely. It could be one of the tanks, the fill pipe, or crossover pipe. None of them are cheap, some obviously worse than others.
I am not sure if this is correct, but you may want to consider a smoke test to find the problem if it persists.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by steve8
I am not sure if this is correct, but you may want to consider a smoke test to find the problem if it persists.

I had this done to track down a leak in the EVAP System in my 96 LT1 Vette. It did help narrow it down, but I still ended up replacing a few extra parts to fix the problem I had.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Did you try removing your gas cap and re-tightening it? Could you get a new one and check to see if it still happens?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 PM
plasterman
Instructor

this happened to me just this weekend.not paying attention,i keep pumping after it shut down to round off the $$$.gas overflowed out to the little hole under the gas cap.it leaked inside the rear quarter panel leaking out the body line of the panel and rocker and into the door jam.it smelled of gas for 2 day's.now you either did what i did,or your gas cap is not closed well or faulty.investigate this before trying the above...good luck...al...
Old 07-10-2007, 04:17 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mines an 04 which have a different design for the crossover pipe between the 2 gas tanks and the crossover pipe was leaking at the tank on the drivers side. Check under the car and see if you can see gas leaking down onto the suspension or a plate under the tank. Mine was fixed under warranty. Also as stated above don't overfill and check your gas cap.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Gas Odor In Garage After Fill Up! Why?

Quick Reply: Help! Gas Odor In Garage After Fill Up! Why?