Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 vs. 911 Turbo(415HP)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 AM
carlsbad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 vs. 911 Turbo(415HP)

How does a stock Z06 do against a stock 415HP 911 Turbo???, has anyone ever came across one before???. Heard any stories???, thank you!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Bigstik
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please corect me if I am wrong, but from what I can remember the C5 Z had the 911 on a drag race, but the 911 was a little better on the course (i.e. slalom). The C6 Z took the porsche all around. But again, i don't have the article so I can't quote anything.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsbad
How does a stock Z06 do against a stock 415HP 911 Turbo???, has anyone ever came across one before???. Heard any stories???, thank you!
To me, strangely, the Porsche and Corvette are "swapped" in most people's perception of what they are good at .... seems a lot of people think a Corvette is a good "dragster" and the Porsche is a good "road course" car.

In fact it is the opposite .... with its enormous rear weight bias the Porsche is actually a "good" drag car. That's why, for its often lower HP and torque numbers, the Porsche usually out accelerates a Corvette in most acceleration tests from a standing start. Rolling starts,the Corvette usually wins against a Porsche as most Porsche (except the Turbos) have less HP/torque than a Vette (especially the Z06).

On a road course, where you are REALLY pushing the cars, unless the Porsche driver is VERY experienced with his car, a Corvette usually will turn in better lap times. For street driving Porsche has spent 50 years figuring out how to tame the massive oversteer/understeer that the rear weight bias causes. But on a track you've really got to know how to get a Porsche through a corner (tame initial undeersteer by braking into turn .... tame oversteer out of corner by judicious use of throttle steer) because when pushed the Porsche becomes difficult to control. I have seen more Porsche at HPDEs go off track because once a driver "loses it" with that car there is virtually no chance of getting it back.

The comparison of the Z06 and Turbo 911 would, in my opinion, come down to a driver contest. By most "magazine" tests they are fairly closely matched, so it would come down to which driver could "push the envelope" better.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Well said BlackZ06. On a road course it will be more about the driver and who knows how to manage each car to its potential. I've been on track a few months ago with a twin turbo that was putting down about 450hp. He pulled me on the straights but I caught him in the twisties. Very opposite of the marketing spew you see.

You're not likely to see too many Porsche at the drag strip since most folks who buy them don't buy them for that reason. Then again I'm just as surprised at how many people buy a Z06 to be a drag racer (not trying to start a peeing contest here). They are an excellent road course car and bang for the buck damned impressive!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
To me, strangely, the Porsche and Corvette are "swapped" in most people's perception of what they are good at .... seems a lot of people think a Corvette is a good "dragster" and the Porsche is a good "road course" car.

In fact it is the opposite .... with its enormous rear weight bias the Porsche is actually a "good" drag car. That's why, for its often lower HP and torque numbers, the Porsche usually out accelerates a Corvette in most acceleration tests from a standing start. Rolling starts,the Corvette usually wins against a Porsche as most Porsche (except the Turbos) have less HP/torque than a Vette (especially the Z06).

On a road course, where you are REALLY pushing the cars, unless the Porsche driver is VERY experienced with his car, a Corvette usually will turn in better lap times. For street driving Porsche has spent 50 years figuring out how to tame the massive oversteer/understeer that the rear weight bias causes. But on a track you've really got to know how to get a Porsche through a corner (tame initial undeersteer by braking into turn .... tame oversteer out of corner by judicious use of throttle steer) because when pushed the Porsche becomes difficult to control. I have seen more Porsche at HPDEs go off track because once a driver "loses it" with that car there is virtually no chance of getting it back.

The comparison of the Z06 and Turbo 911 would, in my opinion, come down to a driver contest. By most "magazine" tests they are fairly closely matched, so it would come down to which driver could "push the envelope" better.
...when you're talking about a 911, as was origanilly asked. One P car that impressed me is a warmed over Boxster S that a friend has. I've driven 911's and for a new to the car driver they're worse than portrayed. Get in the Boxster, and you're a race car driver in 15 minutes. Doesn't have the HP for a drag race, but I wouldn't want to come up against one at an auto cross or tight road course.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:09 PM
80shilling
Instructor

My Business partner has a 996 TT X50 package which is supposed to make 450 HP. In my stock 2002 ZO6, I can walk him in any gear from 1st on up through 4th, however, in 5th gear he pulls me at the top. From a standing start, he always beat me and it took me until the top of third gear to catch him, but that was because I was so traction limited by the Michelin PS2's... Recently, I did a track event at Sears Point and left my Hoosier R6's on... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I can give it full throttle from a standing start and full power shift into second and be full on the gas.. I now pull HIM! It's amazing what a bit of traction can do. It's so close however, that it's DEFINITELY a driver's race... if either of you aren't perfect on your shifts, or hit the rev limiter, the other guy will win.

I'm a lifelong Porsche guy and just switched to the ZO6 a year or so ago and I have to say, I am more and more impressed by the car the longer I have it.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zulatr
...when you're talking about a 911, as was origanilly asked. One P car that impressed me is a warmed over Boxster S that a friend has. I've driven 911's and for a new to the car driver they're worse than portrayed. Get in the Boxster, and you're a race car driver in 15 minutes. Doesn't have the HP for a drag race, but I wouldn't want to come up against one at an auto cross or tight road course.

I work with a lady (didn't Two and a Half Men do a whole episode on the idea the Boxter is a "chick" car ?) who let me drive her Boxster, and it is an AMAZING handling car. Many years ago I had a Fiat X1/9 (a mid-engine car ... well "car" might be stretching the definition) and I have to say the handling of a mid-engine car is almost impossible to beat. The Boxster is amazing.

I suspect the reason that there aren't more mid-engine cars is because of the "trade-offs" involved. While they have amazing handling, the biggest problems with mid-engines are ...

1) Packaging ... by definition a mid-engine car almost HAS to be a two seater. To make a four seater with a "mid-engine" would result in a ridiculously long vehicle.

2) Maintenance ... ANYTHING you want to do to the engine requires that you either drop the engine out of the car, or can hire a midget with 6 foot long arms that have 18 joints in them.

Still, From a handling point of view, cars like the Pontaic Fiero, Porsche Boxster, and Fiat X1/9 are virtually unbeatable.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:20 PM
pb24dagrk
Pro

I raced a 911 Turbo on the highway (let's call it a track for forum purposes) a while back. The way he looked at me just before gunning it, I got the feeling he was expecting to wax me, but I had no trouble reeling him in and passing him....this was from like a 60mph roll to about 130mph.

When I slowed down afterwards to 60mph, he slowed down more so he wouldn't have to come beside me again.

btw, I had my headers/tune and 396rwhp at the time
Old 06-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Bigstik
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected!!!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:22 PM
VetteFish
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

venture over to youtube.com

and search for S4 Z06 M3.

a video by myself should come up. i had just a catback, and the porsche turbo had just a catback as well. see the results.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

With my 03' Z06, I come across the older twin turbosall the time (the new one's have around 500hp - a friend of mine just got one and I haven't tested him yet); there's no way that they're faster - when rolling. I use to pull them all day long and now with my Vararam, I bet that the gap will grow larger.

However, off the line, they will take us because they're geared for a quick 1-2 punch and they're not only all-wheel drive, they have all the weight over the rear wheels as well. Porsches have real short 1st and 2nd gears and when you press them, they squat, thus gaining better traction in the rear. So before you know it, they're a head of you and then it's hard to catch up. Irrespective, when you're rolling, like at or about 65-75, a Z06 is practically impossible to catch in 3rd gear; at least that's been my experience.

Also, supposedly, the Vette will out do the Porsche in the canyons, although I'm not too comfortable with the handling on the Z06 - I've never been, it tends to feel like it leans too much and I don't like that. Nevertheless, you really have to know how to drive the Porsche in the turns or else you'll lose it's rear in a real big way. Unlike the conventional rear-wheel drive cars, on the Porsche, if you back off of the throttle when in the turn, the butt gets loose and can come out. Again, that's because when you're on the gas, the Porsche squats, pressing more weight down on to the rear wheels, keeping them planted. I've seen a Porsche lose it once on Sunset Blvd. (not a turbo) and it wasn't pretty; he was real lucky there was no cross traffic at the time or else he would have been toast.

Now, ask me about my Viper and a Carrera GT; without going into too much heart-breaking detail, let's just say that the Porsche GT is faster...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteFish
venture over to youtube.com

and search for S4 Z06 M3.

a video by myself should come up. i had just a catback, and the porsche turbo had just a catback as well. see the results.
That Audi wagon is quite a sleeper. Cool vid, love the closed course disclaimer at the end
Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 80shilling
My Business partner has a 996 TT X50 package which is supposed to make 450 HP. In my stock 2002 ZO6, I can walk him in any gear from 1st on up through 4th, however, in 5th gear he pulls me at the top. From a standing start, he always beat me and it took me until the top of third gear to catch him, but that was because I was so traction limited by the Michelin PS2's... Recently, I did a track event at Sears Point and left my Hoosier R6's on... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I can give it full throttle from a standing start and full power shift into second and be full on the gas.. I now pull HIM! It's amazing what a bit of traction can do. It's so close however, that it's DEFINITELY a driver's race... if either of you aren't perfect on your shifts, or hit the rev limiter, the other guy will win.

I'm a lifelong Porsche guy and just switched to the ZO6 a year or so ago and I have to say, I am more and more impressed by the car the longer I have it.

I was hoping you'd jump in on this since you have so much background driving Porsche(s) on track. It's good to get the feedback from someone who has really done it.

I'm with you on the Hoosier R6. I ran the Supercars then Nitto R2s. The R2s helped on track and let you plant the power down quite well. But they got a little loose mid turn if you were hard on the throttle. Usually where the Porsche guys pull you like crazy. I put some fat R6s on CCW wheels on it. 315/30-18 front and 335/30-18 rear. The grip was amazing. I was all over the throttle sooner into the turn and harder all the way through. I was really waiting for the tires to just give way and snap spin me. Didn't happen. I'm still trying to find where they break away since I'm new to running them. The braking zone is also improved with the added grip. The only downside is these real race tires are like crack and they aren't cheap and wear out faster...
Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

About 3 months ago I had a run in (this is on a closed highway of course ) with 2 carrera's and a turbo all in the 2003-2005 vintage. I put a very bad whopping on the 2 carrera's finally got to the turbo car and the guy hit it first and was about a car out on me when he started.... he instantly put a total of 3 on me since he got the hit (3rd gear roll on) by the time I shifted into 4th I was at his door and kept pulling good letting off about 1/2 way through 4th and a full 2 car length in front of him...... he got back next to me and I just looked at him and shrugged, he didnt look to be very happy
Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Check out C&D latest issue, VIR, c6z beat both GT3 & P car Turbo.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
charoog96
Pro

Originally Posted by pb24dagrk
I raced a 911 Turbo on the highway (let's call it a track for forum purposes) a while back. The way he looked at me just before gunning it, I got the feeling he was expecting to wax me, but I had no trouble reeling him in and passing him....this was from like a 60mph roll to about 130mph.

When I slowed down afterwards to 60mph, he slowed down more so he wouldn't have to come beside me again.

btw, I had my headers/tune and 396rwhp at the time

That is hilarious because I had practically the same experience. I was on the highway... ehemm track I mean, and I ran against a 996 Turbo that still had dealer plates on it. We went from a 60 roll up to 140 and I was on his *** the entire time. He pulled slightly at the start as I was just downshifting to 3rd when he gunned it. However, after he realized he couldnt lose me, he immediately got into the slow lane at 55 mph and refused to come beside me again. He must felt pretty frustrated that his 100k porsche could not ditch my measly z06. =]

Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Quicksilver Z06
Advanced

Ran at Moroso with PBOC/PCA a few weeks back. I had 2 instructors in my group, one in 07 911 TT and the other in 07 GT3. The GT3 is a much better road course car as the TT takes longer to get to full throttle coming out of a turn and appeared loose coming off the gas into a turn.

I was able to pass the TT coming off turn 6, and went on to chase the GT3 for 5 laps on his bumper. In a racing situation, I believe I would have passed him as he got loose a few times. He had a slight advantage on the straights as he picked up full throttle sooner (my Z06 is a little tail happy), but braking and through the turns, my Z06 was better. I credit my Pfadt coil overs, Pfatty sway bars and Wilwoods.

I spoke with both owners during the day, and they were not happy!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. 911 Turbo(415HP)

Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
jgmachine
Pro

my friend has a 1982 930 turbo (911) with 450 RWHP. He leaves me in the dust...

If anyone knows what a RUF 930 is, I may have an opportunity to get one (1986) in mint condition. (it looks brand new) I may be pulling the trigger soon. It has over 450 RWHP as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

ruf, ruf

Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Drivers race. From a dead stop the AWD of the 911 twin turbo would be hard to beat. You had better know how to drive your Z06!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs. 911 Turbo(415HP)