Mounted CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Mounted CD Changer

I mounted the CD Changer I picked up in the 4-sale section here a couple of weeks ago in Mrs. Patches coupe today. I bought a COR-HAR cable from a web site and ordered a set of rear tub mounting brackets from Gene at Kar Shop, a forum vendor.

Here are the basic pieces I started out with. CD changer, brackets with nuts, pop rivets and riveter, cable and Quick-set JB-Weld.

After looking at the standard post-factory/dealer method of mounting the changer, I decided that I wanted a more solid, substantial mount. The method normally involves epoxying the two stud brackets to the inside of the tub and then popping one rivet through the center to hold the weight of the changer. I wanted a stronger backbone supporting the rivets and the changer so I cut a piece of ~16 gauge sheet metal I had to span the length of the changer and drilled four holes sized for 1/8" pop rivets.

Here's the spot where the changer is mounted. There are predrilled holes from the factory. Would be nice if you could slide the brackets in from the outside but there's no room to do that so the holes simply serve as location points for the brackets.

Then I painstakingly shoved the support I fabricated in between the outside back surface and the rear bumper forward vertical surface - not an easy task, as there's only about 1/4" of space to work with. I had to use chisels to position and wedge the support into place while I JB-welded and riveted the brackets and support in place. Took quite a while to get that done. Here's a shot of the bracket from under the rear bumper (highlighted rectangle).

Here you can see the brackets after mounting. Note the extra rivet heads in between the brackets. Substantially stronger than the standard setup.

I ran the cable from where it connects to the changer in the tub to the front of the car under the carpet along the passenger side. Here you can see the threaded studs poking thruogh the batting.

And the changer mounted and connected.

The 3-wire and 4-wire connectors in the passenger footwell. Couldn't understand why the 4-wire connector was clipped to the footwell facing towards the front of the car - totally inaccessible until I popped the clip out of it's mount to free the connector.

All buttoned up. The changer works perfectly.

Oh, I also took the opportunity to mount the Garmin Nuvi on the center air vent. I will hardwire it in a couple of weeks when I do the detector hardwire setup.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

For those who PM'ed me recently about how to do this, here's a TTT.

One note, the cable I got was a bit short compared when compared to how the factory routing indicated the cable should go so I had to use a shorter alternate route where I ran it between the center and passenger rear tubs and to the passenger-side speaker area, behind the seat belt trim, along the rocker panel and, finally, to the BCM/fusebox area in the passenger footwell. Not a big deal to lift the carpet sections to get the cable run underneath - just take your time.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Patches, I'm glad everything worked out for you and the Mrs....great install, I hope you have many many hours of play with the CD player

Al
Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

GREAT write up - Love the idea of the metal backing plate I know the tight space you are referring to, but I've gotta do something like this this weekend. Excellent!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
sliebl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up! On a side note... what model Nuvi do you have pictured there? What mount did you use?
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alcee1
Hey Patches, I'm glad everything worked out for you and the Mrs....great install, I hope you have many many hours of play with the CD player

Al
Thanks,Al. It was a pleasure doing business with you. Great deal too.

Originally Posted by 94legaleagle
GREAT write up - Love the idea of the metal backing plate I know the tight space you are referring to, but I've gotta do something like this this weekend. Excellent!
Feel free to give me a shout - PM, email or phone - if you have any questions about the details before or during your install.

Originally Posted by sliebl
Nice write up! On a side note... what model Nuvi do you have pictured there? What mount did you use?
Thanks!
That's the Nuvi 660 - great GPS navigator with tons of features. The mount is the KUDA model 250005 with the CNM22 adapter. It was recommended by another forum member. It is pricey though.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 PM
GLASS65
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where'd it go?

I installed a cd changer in my 98 coupe using an installation kit I got from Corvette Central. I found the 4 pin connector ok but the 3 pin is nowhere to be found, any thoughts ?

Thanks, Paul
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Why don't you add this to the new DIY sticky?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1817090
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 AM
1ragtop
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default thanks

Thanks for all the help guys that was great.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sharp looking car, I love the interior
Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
NorCalVette Kid
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Nice!! Great Job, thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:24 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Another great DIY from you Ed. Thank you for sharing.

I hope you and Mrs. Patches have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 139 Likes on 130 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

can you give me a better picture of were the harness connector would be, thanks, i am in the process of getting the 12 disc installed, and the installer said i dont have those connectors, a better pic would be great, thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Which way are looking at this?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My car did not have the factory harness in the back of the car so I had to buy the COR-HAR cable on ebay and run it from the back where the changer was mounted up to the passenger footwell in front. Those two connectors are in the lower right front area of the passenger footwell just to the right and below the plastic cover of the fuse panel.

This picture was taking kneeling just outside of the passenger door looking towards the front of the car under the glove box with the fuse cover panel taking off. Those two connectors are for the CD changer. The picture you posted needs to be rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees to be oriented to match my pictures angle.

Last edited by Patches; 04-09-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

thanks for all your help, job is done, thanks again.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
For those who PM'ed me recently about how to do this, here's a TTT.

One note, the cable I got was a bit short compared when compared to how the factory routing indicated the cable should go so I had to use a shorter alternate route where I ran it between the center and passenger rear tubs and to the passenger-side speaker area, behind the seat belt trim, along the rocker panel and, finally, to the BCM/fusebox area in the passenger footwell. Not a big deal to lift the carpet sections to get the cable run underneath - just take your time.
I know this thred is old but what is the website address for buying the COR-HAR cable ????? and since yours was a bit short, what length should I order?

thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

nice write up. Thanks for taking the extra time to take pics
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
nice write up. Thanks for taking the extra time to take pics