Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Carlysle, need suggestions

Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Rair67
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going to Carlysle, need suggestions

We are taking the 98 to Carlysle this August, and I wondered if anyone had suggestions on emergency equipment to take along (other than beer and money).
I have been a C2 guy for most of my life, so I'm pretty familar with most of the necessitities for the 67. The C5 is a different story, anyone have any recommendations?

TIA
Old 06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Rair67
We are taking the 98 to Carlysle this August, and I wondered if anyone had suggestions on emergency equipment to take along (other than beer and money).
I have been a C2 guy for most of my life, so I'm pretty familar with most of the necessitities for the 67. The C5 is a different story, anyone have any recommendations?

TIA
For the most part a C5 is a dependable ride. We went all over the East cost with my 98 Vert(including Carlisle every year) I assume you still have runflats! My tool kit consits of a Leatherman & a Swiss army knife and a small flashlight. I have a AAA card and a cellphone. To be honest thes cars are so complex that there is not much you can fix on the side of the road. Remember for the most part a C5 is dependable.

See you in Carlisle, Im the DSOM 05 Vert parked close to the C5/6 registry tent on the hill
Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm carrying a tire plugging kit and DC powered air pump (no runflats!), and a small tool kit with wire cutters, pliars, screwdrivers,etc...

be sure to park with the Pace Car Registry! (that's where I'll be)

Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
7898VETTMAN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring rain gear.Past few trips there have been on the wet side and maybe bring a folding chair.See you there.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
elctroman
Pro

a folding chair ,we bring a pop-up canopy for some shade there is none,aircompressor -plug kit.and most of all plenty of money..and your camera ..hope to see you there
Old 06-20-2007, 04:42 PM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
I'm carrying a tire plugging kit and DC powered air pump (no runflats!), and a small tool kit with wire cutters, pliars, screwdrivers,etc...

Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Rair67
Drifting

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z

I'm also doing away with the runflats- have some Kumho Ecsta ASX's on order, couldn't take the road noise any more. The DC powered air pump sounds like a good idea.

We will also be in the C5 parking area, I will look out for all the Pace Car guys. Look for Corvettes of Naples cars.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A cell phone and a AAA card. Upgrade to the longer towing distance package. See you in Carlisle. It's a day trip for me.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
fastedc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Charge cards and plenty of cash!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

TIA

no emergwency suggestions... but with you owning a C2, definitely walk through the entire flea market area (will take almost an entire day). You'll be surprised what is for sale there.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The wife and I have driven our 98 from 130 miles north of Carlisle to Daytona Beach both last year and this year. I run with the runflats, AAA, credit cards and a BIG smile. See you at Carlisle.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Chairs, Money, Sunblock, extra sunblock, money, Zaino, towels.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 PM
PAvetteguy
Instructor

Bring $$, Chairs, A Canopy or Umbrella for shade, good walking shoes, a cooler of cold ones and sunblock! The C5 will make the trip fine its you that will be worn out!

See you there
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

TIA
I grew up 60 miles north of there. Suggestions:

1. Go to Hershey park to see fake (simulated) chocolate factory. Very interesting.
2. Go a few miles east on 422 (near Hamburg). Look for Roadside America--it is on south side of highway. Huge building full of working model trains. Tour takes 45 min. You can push all kinds of buttons to make trolley cars and circuses and trains work. Take a camera. Owner has passed on, but he built most of this stuff by hand. It even has some model airplanes flying from the ceiling.
3. Go to Lancaster area (route 30). Good soft pretzels that you can make yourself--in Lititz.
4. Send us a post card from Intercourse, Pa. (East of Lancaster, Rt 30.
5. Tons of outlet malls in Lancaster area.
6. Take IH 81 north towards Scranton. Tons of mountains. Actually, look at a map north of Carlisle. Nice mountainous roads up through Pine Grove, Pottsville, Shenandoah, Ringtown, Aristes, Bloomsburg. Bloomsburg is about 80 miles north of Carlisle. Aristes is the town that has a coal mine burning underneath it. Smoke all along highway. Most houses have been torn down. Orig population was perhaps 10,000 if that much.
7. Tons of dutch food in the Schnecksville area--that is where RoadSide America is. Try Shoefly pie. Not sold in other areas of country.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Janster
Racer

Originally Posted by z06Bigbird
4. Send us a post card from Intercourse, Pa. (East of Lancaster, Rt 30
You want a postcard? I'll send ya one!

Don't forget ...York, PA and a tour of the Harley Davidson plant. Never been there myself - but I think they only do tours on weekends and you need reservations.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Janster
Racer

1. Go to Hershey park to see fake (simulated) chocolate factory. Very interesting.
2. Go a few miles east on 422 (near Hamburg). Look for Roadside America--it is on south side of highway. Huge building full of working model trains. Tour takes 45 min. You can push all kinds of buttons to make trolley cars and circuses and trains work. Take a camera. Owner has passed on, but he built most of this stuff by hand. It even has some model airplanes flying from the ceiling.
3. Go to Lancaster area (route 30). Good soft pretzels that you can make yourself--in Lititz.
6. Take IH 81 north towards Scranton. Tons of mountains. Actually, look at a map north of Carlisle. Nice mountainous roads up through Pine Grove, Pottsville, Shenandoah, Ringtown, Aristes, Bloomsburg. Bloomsburg is about 80 miles north of Carlisle. Aristes is the town that has a coal mine burning underneath it. Smoke all along highway. Most houses have been torn down. Orig population was perhaps 10,000 if that much.
7. Tons of dutch food in the Schnecksville area--that is where RoadSide America is. Try Shoefly pie. Not sold in other areas of country.

Don't forget ...YORK, PA and take a tour of the Harley Davidson plant. Never did it myself. Tours are during the week.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

<sorry, little off topic>

Last edited by Janster; 06-21-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by elctroman
a folding chair ,we bring a pop-up canopy for some shade there is none,aircompressor -plug kit.and most of all plenty of money..and your camera ..hope to see you there

You'll enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To Going to Carlysle, need suggestions

Old 06-21-2007, 07:51 AM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also going to Carlisle for the first time. Do you have to register or do you just show up?

Since I also don't have run flats I keep a pair of needle nose pliers, a plug kit, compressor, jack and lugnut socket.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

comfortable shoes!!! oh, and a backpack or other means of carrying parts and other small stuff that you WILL buy!

have a safe trip!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Rair67
Drifting

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The common denominator seems to be credit cards and cash.

I have been to Carlysle many times when I lived in Binghamton NY. It was a much easier trip from there then SW Fl. I have a 67 coupe and 65 vert which never seem to stop needing parts, so I will empty the bank account. Obviously I will be taking my parts to a pack-n-ship as the 98 will be loaded.

Our club has some outings planned such as Hershey, HD factory, and a brewery.

Several members from our Corvette club are taking the Auto Train from Fl. to Maryland for the Carlysle trip, so if you see an Amtrak train going by loaded w/ vettes, be sure and WAVE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to Carlysle, need suggestions