Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Took the Z06 for a 500+ mile round trip this weekend. Few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
yellow 02 Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drove my z06 from tx to fl about a week (1200 miles on the dot) and a half ago and after being on the road for awhile my clutch got firmer also. my clutch fluid looks like it needs to be changed but lets just say im a "spirited driver" and i put my car through its paces but ive never had the pedal stick and i can tell the clutch isnt slipping whatsoever.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Johnny_C5
Intermediate

Default C6 Z06 Coolant temps

Greetings from a new Z06 owner.

I was wondering if the typical cruising temp of 203 - 207 ºF is normal for all C6 Vettes in the mild 70 -80ºF temps? My early C5 ran 190 - 193 average before I put a 178ºF thermostat in it.

With an Aluminium V8 Lump under the hood, I would just feel better seeing numbers 20 degrees cooler. I'm sure those temps are most likely tied to keeping the cats hotter, so there are less emmissions to escape into the wild blue yonder.

Anyone put a cooler t-stat in their daily driver Z06 yet?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
deathinnovember
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
I did the FrostKing mod last year, well worth the effort! You can buy a pre-cut kit, but they are rather expensive.

omg that project isn't difficult. But it would be tedius. How much does it weigh
Old 06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptindall
As you know, I practically live next door to you and my temp gauge has never crossed half way. (can't remember what temp that is) I was happily suprised about that with this car since I assumed it would be similar to an F-body that doesn't even turn the fans on until it's vertually burried the needle.
I think when your car was dyno tuned someone dropped the fan on/off temp lower. That is typically done as one of a small list of freebies when you get it tuned. Mine are set reasonably low to stop it from hitting 220+.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Hardcorvette -
I like the frost king idea. Too lazy to cut it all up in pieces though. The kit that is sold on the forum didn't seem horribly expensive. So how much did it cost you to do it with rolls of the frost king? Which frost king type/size did you use?

Johnny_C5 - Please don't start that 160deg stat debate. There is another thread in this section, for the umpteenth time, on it. Get your fan on/off temps reprogrammed to stop the creeping to 220-230+ in traffic and after driving the car hard. The tstat does not stop that high temp. Cooling the system down does. Get them fans on early and often.

Ranger - I disagree. They designed it to run hotter than **** to meet emissions levels. Yeah you get away with it running that hot but it is not good for it long term. Not just the block or heads. All the bolt-on bits, hoses, wiring, relays etc. in the engine bay get heat soaked like mad. Letting it bump between 200-220 is more than enough. I have never liked this GM idea since I bought my 1st Vette. And I've addressed it on every one of them. My 1st C4 would kick both fans on around 235 and it would sneak up to 240+ before it started catching up with itself. That is just plain wrong!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
...Ranger - I disagree. They designed it to run hotter than **** to meet emissions levels. Yeah you get away with it running that hot but it is not good for it long term. Not just the block or heads. All the bolt-on bits, hoses, wiring, relays etc. in the engine bay get heat soaked like mad. Letting it bump between 200-220 is more than enough. I have never liked this GM idea since I bought my 1st Vette. And I've addressed it on every one of them. My 1st C4 would kick both fans on around 235 and it would sneak up to 240+ before it started catching up with itself. That is just plain wrong!
Appreciate there are differing views on the subject, vms4evr. And far be it from me to argue with anyone displaying such fine female glutes in an avatar. But....

I've never been concerned with the coolant temperature so long as it comes down when the fans kick in. And I've always kept the stock thermostat and PCM in my Corvettes.

The only time I care about coolant temp is when seeking max acceleration in a timed event. Then I want the coolant at a chosen temp.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 06-20-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I think when your car was dyno tuned someone dropped the fan on/off temp lower. That is typically done as one of a small list of freebies when you get it tuned. Mine are set reasonably low to stop it from hitting 220+.
That's a very good piont, but I bought the car last August and only had it tuned last month. I saw no difference in coolant temps before and after. I guess it is possible the previous owner had it done, but by the rest of the car and the type of owner it was, I find that very unlikely. Who knows, maybe my ECM temp sensor reads a little high and kicks the fans on sooner. Bottom line is my temps stay between 190 and ~215 and I couldn't be happier with that.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:48 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ranger
Appreciate there are differing views on the subject, vms4evr. And far be it from me to argue with anyone displaying such fine female glutes in an avatar. But....

I've never been concerned with the coolant temperature so long as it comes down when the fans kick in. And I've always kept the stock thermostat and PCM in my Corvettes.

The only time I care about coolant temp is when seeking max acceleration in a timed event. Then I want the coolant at a chosen temp.

Ranger
Yeah it's all good I really don't think our opinions differ that much on things from what I've seen on here in the past.

The Corvettes are the worst about running really hot. There isn't much room in that engine bay to breath and when the car slows down and looses fresh air it heats up quick. Then it doesn't dispel it quick enough for my liking. Everything in the engine bay gets hotter than it really should, in my opinion of course. So get the fans on sooner and keeping them on a bit longer makes me feel better. 2 fan motors are cheap versus most of the rest of what is under the hood...

On track I don't have coolant temp problems. 30 minute session of hard driving. Because of the speeds as long as the radiator is clean and free of debris there is plenty of air flow. As soon as I finish my cool down lap and come into pit row my fans are already kicking in and stay running. Even with an oil cooler that engine is still damned hot. After you shutdown the engine it's going to get hotter before it gets cooler.

Those babes are my 1st or 2nd favorite reason why I like Formula 1. I just can't decide
Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insulation

Purchased and installed Exoticvettes's insulation.Heat greatly reduced(did not notice it) on some serious stop and go to and from Santa Barbara (from Santa Rosa). Noise in car reduced@20-25%. The only problem I had was unclipping the traction control switch to remove the dash panel, never did.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took the Z06 for a 500+ mile round trip this weekend. Few questions.