Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messing With Salesman (LONG STORY)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
The California Kid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messing With Salesman (LONG STORY)

Me and my friend were walking around the Chevy dealer yesterday looking at all the new Corvettes. I was hanging around the 5 or 6 Z06's they had just looking around.

We walk all the way to the back of the lot, where the trucks were, and a salesman followed us all the way out and approached us. "Hey guys, anything I can help you find today?"

"No, we're just looking" We said
"Anything in particular you're looking for?" He responded in an eager tone
"No, we were just checking out the Corvettes."
As we tried to keep walking, and look un-interested he said.
"Are you interested in buying a Corvette?"

First of all, what kind of salesman comes up to two 20 year old kids and tries to sell them a Corvette? The answer is a NEW salesman.

I said, "Possibly. I've allready got one you see, and I don't know if I want to trade mine in, or just buy another one."

I could tell that this guy didn't have ANY idea what he was talking about, so I decided to mess with him.

"I'd love to put you in a Corvette. Why don't you come with me and check out this black one I saw you looking at earlier." He quipped

As we make out way to the front of the building, he leads us to the black 2007 Z06 parked in front of the store. I tried my best to not bust out in laughter.

I stood there looking over this Z06, pretending to be interested. I asked him "How much do these run?"

He immediatley reponded with, "Well why don't you come inside and we can run some numbers real quick."

At this point, it was becoming VERY difficult not to explode with laughter. So I said, "Whoa there I'm don't know about that yet, I might be interested in a regular C6, but I'm not sure."

Being the un-trained, un-educated, newbie that he was, he answered with "Oh, you want to buy a Z6? So are you looking for like a 2003?"

This was it. I couldn't hold back my laughter any longer. I released a sound from my mouth, much like a tire that was suddenly punctured.
While I tried to comprehend in my mind what the hell a Z6 was, I retorted quickly with, "No, I want a 2005 or 2006."

This idiot really didn't know his *** from first base, and is was painfully obvious.

"Well why don't you guys follow me, and I'll show you some of the cars in the showroom, and I'll run some numbers for you"

I don't know why, but we followed him into the showroom, and much to my suprise, there was a BEAUTIFUL Arctic White Z06 that was roped off in the corner. I walked over to it and looked inside only to be suprised again. The inside of the center console lid was autographed. As I stood there, hunched over with my sweaty palms lurking centimeters away from the window, shielding my eyes from the glare of the sun, I asked the amatuer sales man, "Who is this signed by?"

I was too busy oogling over the beautiful car to pay attention to his answer, but I'm pretty sure that whatever he mumbled was inaudible, and it was probably also WRONG.

I thought for a second, who could this be signed by? I looked at the scrambled mess of letters unable to decypher a name. Then I looked underneath the signature, and saw "#3". I then looked back up at the first letters of the name and recognized "R" and "F". RON FELLOWS! IT WAS RON FELLOWS! I was mentally running up the walls like Wile E. Coyote after the Road Runner.

I spurted out "WOW! I would love to have a Corvette signed by a Corvette racer. Now granted its not a 'Ron Fellows Edition' Z06 because there are no red stripes on the fender, and also because there are only 300 available, but its still pretty neat."

You could tell that the saleman knew he was over his head at this point, and his tone changed for the rest of our conversations. No longer was he an eager, money hungry salesman. He had morphed into a young, stupid man who realized that he had no hopes of ever selling me a car, and he probably realized that he made himself look like a complete *** in front of me.

He took us over to his desk, which consisted of a computer screen and a pen, and he tried to get our information. We reluctantly gave him some, and then he actually went to talk to his manager about pricing a Z06 for me. He came back a few minutes later with a peice of paper with a number scribbled on it. "$74,995".

I stood up, walked around to the back of my chair and gently pushed it back under his desk and quietly said "Thanks. I'll let you know what my girlfriend says". And I walked out.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Big-Red
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14

I think this IS a Ron Fellows Vette that you saw. The red stripe is Dealer
applied and from what I have heard the 300 or so (399)? are allotted
to dealers on a first come basis. As far as the price it appears to be a
stock Z06. The Ron Fellows Z06 has been going for 90 large.

DETROIT — The special-edition 2007 Ron Fellows ALMS GT1 Champion Corvette Z06 will hit U.S. showrooms in June with a sticker price of $77,500, including an $825 destination charge. A top-of-the-line model with OnStar and a navigation system will be priced at $79,945.

Last edited by Big-Red; 05-18-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Luv2Run
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

and the point of your actions was.......

You must really enjoy having a new restaurant server "in training" help you!

It's interesting that this kind of behavior makes you feel so good about yourself.

Oh, I missed the part that you are still maturing (20 years old)

Don
Old 05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2Run

It's interesting that this kind of behavior makes you feel so good about yourself.

Don
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What dealer was that at?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
sheldon
Instructor

Actually you ran into a very seasoned salesperson. In fact he was messing with YOU. Obvisously you are too young to realize you were the butt of the joke. Everything he did and said was exactly what car sales people do to people who obvisouly wasting their time. First kill them with kindness (whatever, whatever, sure your right 05 Z06, sure), while still not paying attention lead the customer the most expensive car, get them to sit down and "talk numbers"- sure you can afford it, then throw a huge price or large monthly payment in front of them and watch em run, then laugh with other sales people about the guy that just ran away. It's funny you did exactly that. To address the fact that he was stupid, I doubt it. He probably knows as much as you or more, but he didn't you feel stupid, just good sales. Please don't waste car sales peoples time, they're probably only making commission and don't have time for strokers. Just tell truth you aren't buying today.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 AM
sheldon
Instructor

Something tells me this post is going to go the way you expected.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Bethlehem Bob
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

The point of this post was? And you wonder why salespeople treat you like bumbling idiots. Get a life.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
SLO C5
Race Director

Location: Are you fat because you're lazy or lazy because you're fat? San Jose, CA
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Whenever my parents go to look at cars I love going with them. I'll just sit in the backseat, while my parents ask questions to the salesman riding shotgun. Everytime he gives a response, I then jump in with a "No, actually it's ......" It's hilarious.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

" spurted out "WOW! I would love to have a Corvette signed by a Corvette racer. Now granted its not a 'Ron Fellows Edition' Z06 because there are no red stripes on the fender, and also because there are only 300 available, but its still pretty neat."

They only make the white Z06 as a Ron Fellows edition. Just did not put the stripes on at the dealership.

Your story is totally worthless, think twice about sharing next time!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
crmvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sheldon
Actually you ran into a very seasoned salesperson. In fact he was messing with YOU. Obvisously you are too young to realize you were the butt of the joke. Everything he did and said was exactly what car sales people do to people who obvisouly wasting their time. First kill them with kindness (whatever, whatever, sure your right 05 Z06, sure), while still not paying attention lead the customer the most expensive car, get them to sit down and "talk numbers"- sure you can afford it, then throw a huge price or large monthly payment in front of them and watch em run, then laugh with other sales people about the guy that just ran away. It's funny you did exactly that. To address the fact that he was stupid, I doubt it. He probably knows as much as you or more, but he didn't you feel stupid, just good sales. Please don't waste car sales peoples time, they're probably only making commission and don't have time for strokers. Just tell truth you aren't buying today.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
BAND1T
Burning Brakes

Uh-oh.... looks like a severe case of

Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Try not to hurt him to bad.

We all were 20 at one time and no real harm was done.

I love the chevy by my house in florida, I've been there 6 times and no salesman approaches. Even when I drool on the Z06's or other cars like SUV's.

Also the Service people park the car inside there new service bay and layout all kinds of stuff to keep it my car clean.

Lets avoid running him over and talk about how great our chevy service is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Vettegator
Melting Slicks

yep....you showed him. I wonder if he is posting on a car salesman's forum about somebody "messing" with him.
How dare a car salesman want to sell you a car.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
M6 Vetter
Melting Slicks

Nothing wrong with messing with salesmen. Some are complete idiots.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Tony2
Racer

Originally Posted by The California Kid

First of all, what kind of salesman comes up to two 20 year old kids and tries to sell them a Corvette? The answer is a NEW salesman.

I could tell that this guy didn't have ANY idea what he was talking about, so I decided to mess with him.

Being the un-trained, un-educated, newbie that he was, he answered with "Oh, you want to buy a Z6? So are you looking for like a 2003?"

This idiot really didn't know his *** from first base, and is was painfully obvious.

I spurted out "WOW! I would love to have a Corvette signed by a Corvette racer. Now granted its not a 'Ron Fellows Edition' Z06 because there are no red stripes on the fender, and also because there are only 300 available, but its still pretty neat."

You could tell that the saleman knew he was over his head at this point, and his tone changed for the rest of our conversations. No longer was he an eager, money hungry salesman. He had morphed into a young, stupid man who realized that he had no hopes of ever selling me a car, and he probably realized that he made himself look like a complete *** in front of me.
Heh looks like we have a serious case of "Pot Meet Kettle" here

Tony2

Get notified of new replies

To Messing With Salesman (LONG STORY)

Old 05-18-2007, 01:18 PM
sheldon
Instructor

Originally Posted by M6 Vetter
Nothing wrong with messing with salesmen. Some are complete idiots.
Idiots or not, they have a right to make a living. How would you like me to come to where you work, screw with you for about a half an hour, maybe an hour, and by the way you won't get paid while I'm with you. I sell cars and trust me on a daily basis I see more idiots walking through the doors then are on the inside.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Luv2Run

Don
Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 PM
M6 Vetter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sheldon
Idiots or not, they have a right to make a living. How would you like me to come to where you work, screw with you for about a half an hour, maybe an hour, and by the way you won't get paid while I'm with you. I sell cars and trust me on a daily basis I see more idiots walking through the doors then are on the inside.
Of course they have that right. I'm not busting all salesmen (many of my friends are salesmen),
but you can't tell me you have not once met a salesman that didn't know shi... about what he was talking about.
Nothing wrong with salesmen in general, but some people don't belong there.

Quick Reply: Messing With Salesman (LONG STORY)