Sponsored by:

Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Zip Fox
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problems

I am a new Corvette owner. I bought a 2003 ZO6 in January. I discovered the transmission was making noise when the clutch was engaged. I had a transmisson shop look at the problem and they found a frozen bearing in the torque tube so they not only changed out the bad bearing but they also replaced the other two as well. Fortunately, the extended warranty covered the repairs.

That problem was solved. Now, but I am not sure, I may have another problem but I don't know if it is me or the shift linkage. Before I had the work done, I had no problem shifting into fifth gear (which is up and the the right). I have an Mazda MX5 which has the same fifth gear position...right and up. However, the reverse on the Corvette is extreme right and up. Now, when I shift into fifth gear I sometimes go too far to the right (like the MX5) and instead of shifting into fifth gear I am shifting into reverse...grind...grind...grind!!! I had the tramsmission shop look at this and they said I was pressing to hard to the right when shifting. So, the mechanic said it was me. It seems to me that the fight gear and reverse positions are too close.

With the MX5, I have to press down on the shift **** and then go left up into reverse. Is the Corvette suppose to have a "lock out" mechanism to prevent shifting into reverse while shifting into fifth gear while the car is moving? Like I said, the mechanic said it was me...but I never had this problem before the repair on the torque tube. Now it seems to me the fifth gear and reverse click is just too close. Please advise. I would be most appreciative.

Zip Fox
Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 PM
DocPapillon
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Right you are - there is a speed-acuated gate which blocks reverse shifting.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which shifter are you using??
Old 05-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Zip Fox
Heel & Toe

Thank you, I knew I wasn't going nuts. After I posted my message, I did a Google search on this issue and, lo and behold, I found a thread on this forum ("C5 Tech/6 Speed Reverse Lockout?") that addressed the issue. Evidently, sometimes when transmissions are worked on, mechanics forget to connect a "reverse inhibit solenoid" and I believe this is what happened. There is also DTC P0801 that reveals the solenoid not working (or in my case) not connected. Needless to say, I took the car back to the mechanic and told him to fix the problem.

One issue though, in one of the posts in the aforementioned thread, a forum member said that even if the reverse inhibit solenoid is not working it takes 15 pounds of pressue (two hands) to shift into reverse. I don't know about this but when I shift from 4th to 5th, if I am about 1/8" too far to the right, I will hear the gears grind. Now I am concerned if this issue has caused any gear damage. Gee whiz, my transmission shop really has me piqued.

Thank your for your reply.

Zip Fox
Old 05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Zip Fox
Heel & Toe

I am using a stock shifter. Like I said, did not have this problem until my mechanic replaced the bearings in the torque tube. From finding a thread from a Google search, I found on this forum that I have reason to believe my mechanic did not reconnect the reverse inhibit solenoid or it is on the fritz. I told him to do a diagnostic check and look for DTC P0801!

Zip Fox

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting Problems

Quick Reply: Shifting Problems