Sponsored by:

Need ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
C5-GIRL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ticket advice

As some of you know, I got a ticket in Overland Park Ks for my window tint on my vett - my court date was yesterday - I wasn't able to go because of work. I finally got thru to them today, & told them that I missed my court date because of my work schedule, and asked if I could pay over the phone.

The lady said I must appear in court next wednesday to talk to the judge - my options are - pay the ticket - not sure what the amount is, & have a misdemenor on my record, OR take a diversion.

Has anybody ever heard of a tint ticket being a misdemenor? and what kind of diversion is for a tint ticket?

Totally confused here

Thanks in advance -

Janelle
Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
wyndzer
Instructor

The tint ticket is an infraction, the Failure to Appear is a misdemeanor. So know you have two charges.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:55 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would just pay the ticket cause the judge is going to make you take the tint off. If you dont mind taking the tint off then go to court.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default Ticket

Go to court and tell the judge you bought the car with the tint and dint know. You may get lucky! ! Save Defensive Driving for a Speeding Ticket. Also, that was not a moving violation so it wont go on your record!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
nonsuchpro
Racer

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Never head of a "diversion" ... I'd be interested myself as to know what the hell that is.
I cant see getting a ticket for window tint being a misdemeanor... i'd say thats due to missing your court date.
Not sure what the laws are like in your state but I'd do some research before seeing the judge so you can be prepared.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 PM
6 Kids
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

PM me and i'll give you the name and number of my lawyer. He'll negotiate your ticket with the prosecutor down to a parking ticket. No record, no points.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wyndzer
The tint ticket is an infraction, the Failure to Appear is a misdemeanor. So know you have two charges.
Exactly what he said.

Better show up on wednesday or the next thing you'll have is an arrest warrant for your FTA. You will likely have to pay the full amount of the tint fine, plus whatever else he may add on for the FTA. Judges don't like noshows. Playing dumb or saying the tint was already on it when you got it probably wont work at this point. Sorry.

Just remember to dress well for court, business attire. Good luck
Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Wow I can't believe you have to go to court for tint? This isn't a moving violation... laws are differ from state to state eh .
Old 05-03-2007, 04:23 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by max'svette
Wow I can't believe you have to go to court for tint? This isn't a moving violation... laws are differ from state to state eh .
Old 05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DefenderC5
Exactly what he said.

Better show up on wednesday or the next thing you'll have is an arrest warrant for your FTA. You will likely have to pay the full amount of the tint fine, plus whatever else he may add on for the FTA. Judges don't like noshows. Playing dumb or saying the tint was already on it when you got it probably wont work at this point. Sorry.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by DefenderC5
Exactly what he said.

too... saved me from writing all that.

Janelle Hope it's not too big a hit to your pocket.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Burgie
Pro

Originally Posted by max'svette

Her required presence isn't for the tint, its for the No Show and subsequent warrant. These do not go away if you chose to ignor them. They always come back and bite you where the sun don't shine when you least expect it.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by wyndzer
Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE-C5
Go to court and tell the judge you bought the car with the tint and dint know. You may get lucky! ! Save Defensive Driving for a Speeding Ticket. Also, that was not a moving violation so it wont go on your record!
Don't lie to the court, no matter how insignificant it seems. You're already on their s-list. Don't do anything that might make things worse.

Or, like my Dad used to say, when you find yourself in a hole, put down the shovel and stop digging.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM
sjn25600
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6 Kids
PM me and i'll give you the name and number of my lawyer. He'll negotiate your ticket with the prosecutor down to a parking ticket. No record, no points.
I have done this with plenty of moving violations so a tint ticket should be easy.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fix-it ticket.....

Any alteration to the vehicle that doesn't comply with the vhicle code is usually a fix-it ticket (at least in California) that you are given a set time to get fixed and signed off by an officer. But a Failure to Appear is the real no-no. Fix-it tickets also do not go on your driving record. My father was a CHP ( California Highway Patrolman for 25 years) which had it's positives and negatives.
Good luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
oaks99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

jannel

that really sucks , so i hope for the best for you . i keep telling people that i know not to put illegal tint on thier windows or they asking to be stopped . sorry

we still love ya though

your friend oak

Get notified of new replies

To Need ticket advice

Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Oak's right Janelle, this sucks... Don't delay in getting more of the facts explained in detail so you know EXACTLY what will occurr next week... FTA is not good and now that it is indeed AFTER THE FACT, you may have a harder time trying to simply get out of it...

Thank goodness I have NO first hand experience in matters such as this but I'd make another call or two in order to find out for sure!!

Good luck...

Oh yeah, you really are a bad girl, aren't you?

Last edited by VRROOOM2; 05-03-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
black2KC5vette
Racer

Default Do Not Lie

Originally Posted by rcs128
Don't lie to the court, no matter how insignificant it seems. You're already on their s-list. Don't do anything that might make things worse.

Or, like my Dad used to say, when you find yourself in a hole, put down the shovel and stop digging.
I agree. Do NOT lie. If the court finds out otherwise they will slam you.
Business dress. Get there early. Tell the truth. Hopefully the judge will be cool with you.

Good luck.

B2KC5V
Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Hopefuly its not a female judge.

Quick Reply: Need ticket advice