Sponsored by:

[Z06] Gonna buy PS2's, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
AutoMag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna buy PS2's, but...

I have a couple of questions regarding Michelin PS2's...

1) Is it worth going to the 275's in front? Any issues with this, such as rubbing, etc?

2) There are 2 different part numbers for the rear, one is for Porsche, and the other is for MB. Is there a difference in tire construction between the two? Is one preferable over the other?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running PS2s with 275/35ZR-18's in front (on 18x9.5) wheels, absolutely no issues (i.e. no rubbing, no AH/TC issues, etc). But keep in mind this is only from a street driving perspective (moderate driving style with occasional "spirited" driving; nothing hardcore or punishing i.e. track or road racing ). But I wouldn't anticipate any issues if I decided to track the car...

As far as whether or not it's worth it to go with 275's in front, I chose them mainly to stick as close as possible, to the stock outside diameter (OD) going from 265/40ZR-17 to 275/35ZR-18 which, I believe, is called a +1 wheel/tire upgrade. With this upgrade, the OD is virtually identical to my previous stock setup...

I noticed the two different P/Ns for the rears too when I ordered my set (my rears are 305/30ZR-19s on 19x11s also with zero issues but I can't remember which ones I ended up going with since I ordered my wheels/tires as a package from another vendor

You're gonna LOVE the Michelin PS2s

Maybe Luke@tirerack.com can help you with this one

Larry

Last edited by LarryW; 04-25-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Z06-Gator
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question, outstanding reply. Thanks guys, was wondering the same thing about the 275's on the front.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

I have been running 275/35-18 ps2 on 18x9.5" wheels in front with no problems at all. When I took my shocks out to have them rebuilt I noticed some rubbing on the inside rear fender but that is with 315/30-18 on 11" wheels.

Last edited by Doug@MorosoPerformance; 05-01-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
AutoMag
Instructor

Thanks for the replies!

One thing I did not mention is that I'll be running the stock 17 inch rims on front. Michelin lists that their 265/40ZR17 is 25.3 inches tall (same as the F1s) and their 275/40ZR17 is 25.6 inches tall. The rears list out at the same height as the F1s.

So, I don't know if 3/10's of an inch (or maybe a bit more from squeezing wider tires on the stock rims) taller on the front is gonna give Active Handling fits or not. I think I just might play it safe and go with the stock size and forgetaboutit

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

why not run 265s on front, they are same diameter in 18s as the stock 17s are
Old 04-26-2007, 08:37 PM
ThrottleJunkieM3
Advanced

Don't really know how to answer your question but I can tell you that you will love the PS2s. I had a set on my BMW and they hug the road so well.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by AutoMag
Thanks for the replies!

One thing I did not mention is that I'll be running the stock 17 inch rims on front. Michelin lists that their 265/40ZR17 is 25.3 inches tall (same as the F1s) and their 275/40ZR17 is 25.6 inches tall. The rears list out at the same height as the F1s.

So, I don't know if 3/10's of an inch (or maybe a bit more from squeezing wider tires on the stock rims) taller on the front is gonna give Active Handling fits or not. I think I just might play it safe and go with the stock size and forgetaboutit

Thanks again!
You need to keep the difference in overall diameters relatively close to the stock setup for AH to work properly.

What are you trying to achieve by upsizing only the fronts? Does your car have a push you're trying to solve?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Groove Merchant
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running 275/40/17 PS2's on the front w/stock '01 rims. I bought hem at my local NTB and I went with them because one of their district managers happened to be on site and he owns a Z06. He recommended going with the 275's because he said it eliminated some understeer that was inherent with the factory sizes. So far (about 5,000 miles later) I am pleased with the choice. The only issue which has recently popped up is an occassional slight rub at full lock at very low speed. It only happens on the right side and only with a passenger on board (my car is lowered on the stock bolts). Cosmetically it takes a little getting used to because the front tires appear a little "fatter" than the rears from the side view... nothing drastic and I probably am the only one who notices it. As far as the performance, I have no complaints really. The ride is great and the tires are pretty quiet for a high performance tread. The tire sticks so well I have often wondered if a less capable tire would make the car more "interesting" to drive, i.e. more of a challenge on the road.(not that a Z06 is boring in any way) I should mention that when I bought the car it still had the original Supercars. They were definitely worn out so I can't compare the two.

After I had the PS2's on for a while I decided to have the car lowered and and aligned by MTI Racing in Marietta, GA. Their set-up, which they described as an "agressive street" set-up, really made a huge difference in how the car felt. It's pretty much perfect for me now.

Last edited by Groove Merchant; 04-27-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Here's my setup. I run 265/35-18 fronts on 18" x 10" wheels. This is the same diameter as the stock 17" front wheel/tire. I have 295/35-18 on 11" wide rear wheels. I'm running Michelin PS2's. I recently had an agressive street alignment done on a lowered suspension and also have Bilstein Sport shocks. My car now sticks and handles so well, I don't know that I'm capable of pushing my car hard enough to get it to mess up in a corner. It's almost scary how hard I can push it. The limiting factor now is the seat, I'm spending too much effort trying not to slide out of it. The Michelins are a great all-around tire and also are getting decent wear.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
BigBadBill
5th Gear

Originally Posted by striper
Here's my setup. I run 265/35-18 fronts on 18" x 10" wheels. This is the same diameter as the stock 17" front wheel/tire. I have 295/35-18 on 11" wide rear wheels. I'm running Michelin PS2's. I recently had an agressive street alignment done on a lowered suspension and also have Bilstein Sport shocks. My car now sticks and handles so well, I don't know that I'm capable of pushing my car hard enough to get it to mess up in a corner. It's almost scary how hard I can push it. The limiting factor now is the seat, I'm spending too much effort trying not to slide out of it. The Michelins are a great all-around tire and also are getting decent wear.

I'll second Striper's post, I am running PS2s all around on Stock Z06 rims, 265s and 295s, car lowered about 2 and 1/4 inches on Pfadt coilovers, no rub in the front or rear. I love the PS2's, the stock Z06 seats are definately the weakest link at this level. Driving in a couple heavy downpours since installing the PS2s also reminded of how poor the old F1 Supercar OEM tires worked in the wet. The PS2s are definately an upgrade in the wet performance also. I don't think the 275s on the front is really going to make any noticeable difference, but then again I always approve automotive performance upgrades.

Get notified of new replies

To Gonna buy PS2's, but...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gonna buy PS2's, but...