Switchback LED DRLs [Pics, long]

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Default Switchback LED DRLs [Pics, long]

Here's some info on my new "switchback" LEDs that I'm using for my DRL/turn signal lights.

First of all I got them from here: http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

Make sure you get the "3157 Wedge" style, NOT the "1157 Bayonette" style.

They switch between amber for the DRL/turn signal and white for the parking lights. According to the website it says the DRL's are white, but in fact they are amber.

These are the DRL's only:

At first I thought I was sent the wrong ones because when I first tried them, the DRL's were amber, and I was expecting white. Turning the click to parking or to headlight, and the light turns white. I imagine it's because the stock lights have 2 different power levels and it could be a design of the switchbacks.

One thing I have noticed, is that on the stock lights, when you click on the parking/headlights, the DRL's will dim. With these lights, when the amber DRL's click off, the white parking lights will illuminate at full intensity, with no decrease in light output.

These are the parking lights:

The white light color of the LEDs has a slight blue tint to it (like all LEDs) and looks really good with the color of my HID headlight and fog lights. The bulbs are also clear, so there's no "egg yolk" look with the clear corner lights that I use.

This is how they look off in the clear corner lights:

Now running LED bulbs in the DRL's will create an issue with the turn signal flashing. It will cause the blinkers to flash rapidly because of the very little draw on the system. The little draw makes the system think that the bulb is out and causes it to flash fast to alert the driver that the bulb is out.

I do not have a rapid flash issue. I solved it using a fix from forum member "Suprfun". Basically what it does is to add the stock bulb back into the loop so that the system does not think that the bulb is out.

This is a pic that I was able to catch of the blink between the white and amber. The blink is amber when the parking lights are on or off:

Here are some pics of the general mod to prevent the fast flash, you can get these harnesses at autozone. They say they are for the rear of a GM car, but they work on the front DRLs of a C5 just fine. Simply splice them into the front lights the same way as pictured here.

You can add load resistors, but the ones I've seen say to NOT use them on bulbs that are on 100% of the time (which these are). There is also another, much more detailed fix also from "Suprfun" that is listed here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=switchback

I chose to do the simple fix because it's dirty and cheap. I'm sure the 2nd fix from Suprfun would be a much cleaner one, but this one works well enough for my needs.

These LED DRL's are a cool mod, as long as you don't mind dealing with the fast flash issue. With the tips I have here though, the fast flash should no longer be an issue for anyone.

One last thing, here is a video of the DRL's in action from Juan. This video will show the exactly what the "fast flash" is if you do not use any sort of remedy to prevent it.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Last edited by jdmvette; 04-02-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 AM
str8upchevy
Burning Brakes

Location: 90% of all Fords are still on the road.....the other 10% actually made it home!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty cool man... ....but don't they sell a flasher on that site that corrects the "fast-flash" problem? I know "Nasty98" just bought those from the same site and he said he also bought the flasher for it to fix the problem.

I'm definitely getting a set of those bulbs for the one reason that you said.....where the DRL's get so Dim after turning the parking lights on. I hate that myself........I wish there was a "full-time" DRL mod out there so that the DRL's would stay that bright even with the headlights on.

Anyway, I like it a lot!!!

Last edited by str8upchevy; 04-02-2007 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Cause I'm a Dork!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 AM
E.C.P
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by str8upchevy
That's pretty cool man... ....but don't they sell a flasher on that site that corrects the "fast-flash" problem? I know "Nasty98" just bought those from the same site and he said he also bought the flasher for it to fix the problem.

I'm definitely getting a set of those bulbs for the one reason that you said.....where the DRL's get so Dim after turning the parking lights on. I hate that myself........I wish there was a "full-time" DRL mod out there so that the DRL's would stay that bright even with the headlights on.

Anyway, I like it a lot!!!

Morning dork . I just orded the same bulbs this weekend. I had to order the 6ohm load equalizers because there ie no flasher available yet.According to Chris at autotllimination thats all that is needed . Can't wait to put it all together.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:54 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,686 Posts

let me know how the load equalizers work for you.

the ones i've seen say to not use it on lights that are left on all the time (DRLs). the one i've seen said to use it for intermitent-use only lights.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 AM
E.C.P
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jdmvette

the ones i've seen say to not use it on lights that are left on all the time (DRLs). the one i've seen said to use it for intermitent-use only lights.
Will let you know
Old 04-02-2007, 08:31 AM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Great write up Jason. If you do not have the Halo LED taillights, the 6 ohm loads may work. They are rated 50W if I recall, so they should work on 100% duty cycle. I didn't have any luck with load resistors and my HALOs so I was actually going to use Mark's (Suprfun) fix of splicing in a separate flasher module before ultimately selling the car.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
cgmoose
Advanced

Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Those really look good
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by jdmvette

mine melted, and i had to use two to corect the flashing. I just have not gotten around to splicing in the LED flasher yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Switchback LED DRLs [Pics, long]

Quick Reply: Switchback LED DRLs [Pics, long]