Helped a tailgater get OWNED this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:35 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HiLandR
I understand, but I've always had an us vs. them (all drivers vs. cops)attitude toward dealing with tickets. We have no idea of her motivation, I wish we could get her story. But I agree if she was totally on your ***, then she probably got her "karma".
Fair enough. The thing was, we were both heading for the same side street destination. If she really wanted to get her speeding ticket faster, she could have easily passed me in the other lane well before. Instead, she waited to put on her burst of speed and rush past me and then cut back in front of me about 100 yards from the street we were both turning on. She was apparently content to ride my rear all the way until I slowed down just a tick to avoid getting a ticket myself. Her impatience finally took over, she made a bad move, and got tagged for it. That was her misfortune.

Ironically, had she remained glued to my tail, she might have avoided getting a ticket all together, depending on whether or not the LEO perceived that she was on my tail from his angle and chose to pursue it. Had she just taken it easy for another few seconds, she would have been home free, instead of clocked doing 63 in a 45, which she had to do in order to whip around and back in front to make the turn in time. My responsible, conservative, lawful driving had nothing to do with her unfortunate decisions.

For the record, I also understand the concept of allowing others to pass and like I said earlier, on the freeway I spend as little time in the fast lane as possible and only use it to pass, but this rule doesn't apply on a residential street when there is just one car behind you, you're doing the limit, they have other options, but just choose to ride your tail because they feel like it. At least not in California. Like I said above, this broad obviously lives in my immediate neighborhood, and therefore must have seen the LEO parked on his bike there at least as often as anyone else does coming or going. So from my perspective, it was TOTALLY all on her.

I don't have a problem with good LEO's doing their job. I know the rules. If I elect to break them, then I assume the risk if getting caught. That's why you'll never catch me bitching about getting a ticket for not running a front plate on one of my other cars or whatever. If it's the law and I elect to ignore it, then I'll assume the risk and accept the punishment.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 AM
HeadHunter1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate freakin' tailgaters! Especially the residential tailgater/speeders. In my neighborhood, wrought with children all over the place, including mine, I routinely see people doing 40+ right past the homes and kids in the subdivision. When I drive through at 25, I often have people riding right up my rear. More often than not I look in the mirror and it is some soccer mom. I generally slow to 20 now and **** 'em off further.

The other day on the interstate, I get caught in heavy moving traffic. You know the kind, no where to go, cars everywhere, but at least moving at 50+. I always leave lots of space in these situations since it always seems someone slams the brakes up front and I don't want to be intimate with anyone's rear, let alone some getting in mine.

Well, I look in the mirror and three feet off my rear is a biatch in her Honda element. This was one time I wish I was in my truck, with my 35's and 4" lift my ball mount would have been right at grill height. I swear I would have put both feet on the brake pedal. I am not usually like this, but she was out of control. I opted to just move over once I got the chance and let her have the 100 feet. Yes, for those of you that want to point out I was in the left lane, I was. Like I said it was basically bumper to bumper so I had to be somewhere.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Hoog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DavzC5
Why is this post still going on?
Because the OP is trolling it through his continued arrogance and snide comments toward those who aren't impressed by his "driving" style and lack of common road courtesy.

One measure of character is doing the right thing, even if it's not required by law.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

I must say "It's about time"! Never seems like ones want to do the speed limit in neigborhoods.

In mine these stinkin' Honda's and the like speed down our housing street like it's a speedway!

Maybe one day they too will get popped! or maybe just maybe when I hear one coming I'll hide behind my other car and when they get close enough I'll pop out and act like I'm going to run across the street not seeing them "This will be priceless to see their expression and reaction" Hummmmmm!

Maybe I'll do some work in the garage today.

Thanks,Matt
Old 03-31-2007, 08:52 AM
ctvette2003
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoog
Because the OP is trolling it through his continued arrogance and snide comments toward those who aren't impressed by his "driving" style and lack of common road courtesy.

One measure of character is doing the right thing, even if it's not required by law.
Some please lock this post enough is enough
Old 03-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Hoog
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ctvette2003
Some please lock this post enough is enough
I'll second that motion. All in favor??
Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 AM
CorvetteSteve
Pro

Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Don't pontificate about "arrogance and snide comments" or "doing the right thing" for crying out loud. I'm simply defending my actions of driving safe in a residential area and playing by the rules. It's people like you, who think you own the road, that don't have a leg to stand on, that are upset. You can't argue against logic, facts and law. So the only things you can come up with are personal attacks against my character. Well, if that's all you've got then you might as well sit this one out, champ. Nobody cares. The mods can shut down the thread any time they like. I'm comfortable that I've managed to defend myself and I make no apologies for doing so.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Hoog
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Trolled the troller.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

JMc was in the right. The cop was in the right. The lady was in the wrong.

However I'm sure she won't learn from it. She'll justify her actions somehow.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:46 PM
TA8088
Pro

Originally Posted by fej
This thread epitimizes C5 general. Even when you may be in the right, someone wants to put you in the wrong. The guy was making a left into his residential area ... give me a break with the "move over" crap. That lady got what she deserved. Good for you.

Fej
If I had to move to the right for every jackass that wanted to go faster than me while turning into my development I would never make the turn in or any of the turns to make it my house. I would probably have to circle my neighborhood a couple of times to even make it home. I have no problems moving over to the right lane for faster traffic out on main roads and the highway.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:20 PM
poolhustler
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have one comment after reading this thread...........

..........those who think that JMc was wrong for not moving over are absolute IDIOTS. It seems to me that she had PLENTY of time to pazzzzz and NOT ride his azzzzzzzzz.

Simple enough..........

Old 03-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Burgie
Pro

Originally Posted by JMc
What goes around? Heh. Not today, ace.

And there's no law that says I have to pull over to the right lane on a two lane street when I'm intending to make a left turn myself. Especially when I'm driving the limit. Go back to school before you try and mete out an education to me, junior.
..ttt

California Vehicle Code:Slow-Moving Vehicles
21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

Amended Ch. 545, Stats. 1974. Effective January 1, 1975.

Last edited by Burgie; 03-31-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: comment;
Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 PM
HiLandR
Drifting

Somebody needs to either lock this thread, or move it to the OT where it can fit in with the drama that usually accompanies threads there!
Old 03-31-2007, 06:03 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Tailgaters need tickets, and lots of them. most of the people i see tailgating are woman also. residential area speeders need them more!!! i pass people all the time on the right hand side when they are in the left lane. who doesnt?? i dont need to go flying by them, or waving my hands at them. fast lane rule is on freeway/highway only. not residential roads. i guess this lady was one of the goofy percent that thinks it is. and all the people who say common curtesy was to move out of her way. dont forget, she obviously was not being very curtious by trying to figure out what he ate for lunch by riding up his azz in the first place. i read about dropping nails in one of the posts. i think it would be much more interesting to have a entire box of BB's dropped out and pepper the front of the tailgater. who's gonna do one of these mods first??

Last edited by rgtkst; 03-31-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 PM
susko
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
Sorry, but don't have a clue. You have no idea what you're talking about. The ONLY time I ever lightly tapped the brakes was when I was going downhill and picking up speed. If I hadn't I might have been the one to get the ticket. If you'd been paying attention you would have read that I noticed I was doing 48 in the 45, spotted the LEO and exercised my right to slow down by three miles per hour to 45. I didn't slam on the brakes. If she had a problem with my brake application, SHE was too close.

It just so happens that I ran into the motorcycle cop on my way back from lunch exactly three minutes ago... I asked him whether or not the woman got a warning or a ticket. He said almost sounding surprised that I would ask: "A ticket! 63 in a 45!"

I told him the reason I was curious was because she'd been riding my *** for the past mile and he said "I could clearly see that. You were doing the limit, you were fine!" He said that she tried to argue out of it, saying that I tapped the brakes. His response to her was that maybe that was my "polite way of asking her to quit riding my tail!!" I even told him that I noticed I was picking up speed and only hit the brakes to slow down.

So, there you have it. Straight from the LEO's mouth. He saw her tailgating and he clocked her at 63 MPH in a 45. That's almost 20 over to all the leghumpers who are angered that a woman got a speeding ticket because I was driving like a responsible adult in my own neighborhood.

Game. Set. Match.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would have just moved over.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Helped a tailgater get OWNED this morning

Old 03-31-2007, 06:35 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Burgie
..ttt

California Vehicle Code:Slow-Moving Vehicles
21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

Amended Ch. 545, Stats. 1974. Effective January 1, 1975.
It amazes me that you used to be a cop. But I can certainly see why you're not one any longer. I've underscored the flaw in your attempt at spanking me, yet again. I don't live on a state highway. I wasn't driving on a highway. Why don't you seem to grasp this?

Last edited by JMc; 03-31-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:41 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rgtkst
i read about dropping nails in one of the posts. i think it would be much more interesting to have a entire box of BB's dropped out and pepper the front of the tailgater. who's gonna do one of these mods first??

I really liked those three-pointed spike ball things that Bond dropped out of his car in one of those Brosnan-era 007 flicks. Four simultaneous blowouts would be good for a tailgater -- at low speeds, naturally. Wouldn't want to hurt anybody. Just drop 'em as you're pulling away from the light or something...
Old 03-31-2007, 06:49 PM
HiLandR
Drifting

This day and age, you'd lose everything with a stunt like that. Sheesh, whats the world coming to. I think people get whats coming to them, sometimes it isn't as timely as we would like, but it happens!

Quick Reply: Helped a tailgater get OWNED this morning