Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 radiator drain plug broken?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
CalHusker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 radiator drain plug broken?

I tried to turn the white plastic drain plug on the bottom of the radiator to drain the coolent. It would not come out all it does is turn and no coolent came out. I ended up dropping the bottom hose and draining it that way. but now i am wondering is the plug broken or just turning in there freely?

No leaking from the drain plug yet after a warm up cruise.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You only turn it 90 degrees, then you pull it out. You can shear off the pins. You can buy a new plug/valve for less than $5 at NAPA (don't ask how I know )
Old 03-16-2007, 06:13 PM
CalHusker
Racer

Yup I broke it. Just got back from the Chev dealer in antioch. less than 5 bucks for a lesson learned. Not bad.

I asked him if he had a backup in case I did it again HA!

Now to figure out how to get the old part out. Think I will let it cool down for a bit and think about it.

Thanks for the answer.

Calhusker
Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

been there, done that, got the wet t-shirt. i just sheared the pin off and pulled the body out with a pair of pliars. but by then i had the radiator out as i thought it was cracked around the drain area until i took a good look at the design of it. there is a groove for the pin to travel in to open, close, and lock.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:57 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

The things I learn here are just incredible.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:05 PM
CalHusker
Racer

I will try to get it out without breaking the plastic around it. Thanks sleazy rider and Oldvetter for the for the advice.

I will get hold of it with some pliers and gently turn and pull till I find the slot if the pin is still in there.

I will also write down for the future which way the thing spins so maybe I wont crack it off next time...HA!

CalHusker
Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
been there, done that, got the wet t-shirt. i just sheared the pin off and pulled the body out with a pair of pliars. but by then i had the radiator out as i thought it was cracked around the drain area until i took a good look at the design of it. there is a groove for the pin to travel in to open, close, and lock.
Now there's an image we can all live without. BTW, did you use regular pliars or needle nose pliars?

Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 PM
GotMyVette
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default You'd think they could do a better design

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Now there's an image we can all live without. BTW, did you use regular pliars or needle nose pliars?

Mine is stuck too. I try to turn it a little, but there's no way. Back and forth small turns (5 degrees or so) didn't loosen it up. I'm thinking it's not the white plastic nub sticking out that's the problem, I'm thinking the petcock inside the radiator is frozen.

If possible, could I get just a little more detail what that thing looks like? No hurry, I too drained by the lower hose (boy was that a PITA) changed my water pump and refilled. The Dex-cool lucily was on sale at O'reilly's for $16 so I'm not looking forward to another draining and refilling.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 radiator drain plug broken?

Quick Reply: 2001 radiator drain plug broken?