jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
rwsr50
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM put the body side mouldings on the really fast Vettes so people could distinguish them from the mediocre ones.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 613 Posts

Here is a quote from a Corvette C5 Performance Project book I have, "Chuck Mallett (Mr. GM Inside Powerttrain) did a few wind tunnel tests with Cheverolet at GM's wind tunnel facilities in Troy, Michigan, when GM was developing the World Gallenge body package and the C% Aero kit. They noticed a difference in rear end lift (or downforce on your perspective) between cars with and without the body side moldings. They found that cars with the side moldings or spears, had better rear downforce numbers and cars without side spears had less rear end lift. The spears aid and improve laminar flow along the sides of the C5, and that improved laminar flow prevents the air from spilling off the side of the hood at the cowl. This in turn adds downforce to the windshield.

The improved side body laminar flow also reduces the amount of air wrapping under the car (in front of he rear wheels) and thus reduces rear end lift. Without the side molding, the reduced laminar flow and increased hood cowl spill almost doubles the amount of air getting under the rear.

Laminar flow only starts to become effective around 100MPH and increases after that.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by rwsr50
GM put the body side mouldings on the really fast Vettes so people could distinguish them from the mediocre ones.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I'm keeping mine!

The laminar side air flow was considered in the design of the C6's and thus fore they did not need the moldings for inrcreased flow.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:20 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default At First Liked 'Em, Now Don't

When I was first searching for a Vette, I was only looking at cars with the BSM, because I thought they looked better. But after awhile, seeing all the "COOL" cars without them on this forum, I wasn't bothered buying a car without them. Tastes change. Sometimes for the better. I agree, they may offer some protection against side dings and dents, but I hardly believe they offer any air flow benefit under 100MPH. Seems the majority of people on this forum DON'T like 'em.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

It's over 100MPH, not under 100, and it seems to really only come down to prefference. I opted for the BSM's and both of my brothers chose C5's without them. C5's look sweet with or without them.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:22 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by z06Bigbird
No place elso to put em. I already have frame rails underneath.

Ed
Are you suggesting using them as frame rail savers???

hmmmmmm....... Wait a minute.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:26 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by wettevette
When I was first searching for a Vette, I was only looking at cars with the BSM, because I thought they looked better. But after awhile, seeing all the "COOL" cars without them on this forum, I wasn't bothered buying a car without them. Tastes change. Sometimes for the better. I agree, they may offer some protection against side dings and dents, but I hardly believe they offer any air flow benefit under 100MPH. Seems the majority of people on this forum DON'T like 'em.
The majority of the people on this forum don't like auto trannies either, are you swapping for a stick in the near future?????????

Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Dave Sweatt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, if you don't ever expect to go over 100MPH, take 'em off.
If you wanna run the the car like it was built to run ,leave 'em on.
I concede the fact that in day to day you won't need 'em, but there are 'track days'. Not that we'd ever exceed the legal speed limit on the highways, ever, officer!
I love mine with them on , and I drive it like I stole it.

Last edited by Dave Sweatt; 03-10-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 AM
skylark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a white coupe and I hate them . But for as tired as I am , I'm thinking that TWO sets of them double stacked in a mildly contrasting color (such as silver in my case) MIGHT look good
Old 03-10-2007, 04:15 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Time to run the poll again

Last time surprisingly it was 50/50. I always thought the fans were in the minority
Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by wettevette
That's not true, in every poll on the subject, it's about 50/50 with liking them usually a slight edge. Do a search and you can read all day about BSM opinions. You'll never catch me driving a C5 without them unless somebody steals mine and I haven't found another set yet.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

My wife thinks the C5's without BSM's look weak and the ones with, "look tougher" I'm with her.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

They are on my car, they look fine on black, they stay. I've never considered prevailing opinions anyway.

"The seasoned hooker looked over her jon as he undressed and said:
"who do you expect to please with THAT"? He looked at her, smiled, and said, "ME"!

John
Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 AM
CorvetteSteve
Pro

Originally Posted by blackwithyellowta
i think they look good on certain colors...definately not white
Couldn't disagree with you more..love em on mine!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by molten vett
Gives the car a more aggresive look.

without them the car looks like it's missing something...it's a little too plain...it's a little too...

Get notified of new replies

To Why the molding strip down the side on some C5S

Old 03-10-2007, 07:20 AM
CorvetteSteve
Pro

Originally Posted by jdmvette

without them the car looks like it's missing something...it's a little too plain...it's a little too...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '01 had the BSM option. After a while I decided I didn't like them. It broke up the lines of the door and takes a huge chunk of space away from the fender gill. So I took mine off.

I think it looks much better without them. The upper line of the fender now blends right into the door just as the designers made it. The lower line creates the indentation along the door and then blends into the door. With them on, right smack in the middle of these flowing lines is this clunky looking object. It protrudes out. When you look at the sides along the car from a short distance without them the Vette actually has a waist there, with them on you have an un-natural object sticking out.

When I removed them I did the fenders first. I could not believe how much it opened up those gills without them. Then the door portion really looked out of place on there. So I continued and remove those as well. Before I removed the remaining adhesive you could already tell these BSMs were just an after thought.

Now the lines of the Vette are much smoother and flowing. It is much easier to wash and polish. And the shine continously reflects rather than broken up by new angles. And I don't park my Vette where it's going to get wacked, whether I had them on or not. So I'm not too concerned with that. If no open parking is close in, I'd rather walk a ways then park next to someone who would smack my Vette with their doors.

Ever notice every picture GM shows of the Vette be it C5 or C6 there are no BSMs.

I like mine without thank you.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 AM
msj2222
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdmvette

Quick Reply: Why the molding strip down the side on some C5S