Sponsored by:

Head/cam package valvetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
STLKillerC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Head/cam package valvetrain noise

I recently had a head/cam package installed in my 2000 coupe. The mechanic that did the work is very experienced and corvette certified. I went with TEA Stage 1 heads and a XER273HR-14 224/230 (.588/.591) Comp Cam. New pushrods were installed. After the mod I noticed a big change in engine noise, a much louder "tapping" sound. The mechanic assured me that everything is OK and that's just more valvetrain noise due to the changes. I recently heard somebody say that the wrong sized pushrods will cause noise. The car runs STRONG, so it doesn't feel like something is wrong with the engine.

I guess my main question is should a head/cam package cause a significant increase in engine compartment noise?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

That's normal. Especially if you installed dual springs. You'll get more noise at idle and the sewing machine noise under accel will be louder. Enjoy the car, all is well.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Yes... too short of a pushrod will cause excessive valvetrain noise. Most aftermarket cam kits come w/ 7.4" pushrods. Some on LS1tech go with 7.425" to get a little more pre-load to quiet it down more. However, too much preload and the valve won't close all the way.

I recently installed my LGM G5-X2 cam kit w/ the supplied 7.4" pushrods. I also put on yella-terra roller rockers. There is more valvetrain noise than stock, but the roller rockers keep it w/ in reason.

The double springs and faster valve events create more valvetrain noise.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 AM
STLKillerC5
Pro

Thanks fellas! Sounds like everything I'm hearing is normal. I do have double springs. From my reasearch before the mod everybody told me these would be better in the long run, but nobody mentioned more noise. Oh well. I also have the 7.4" pushrods, so it sounds like my mechanic did everything right. I am enjoying the power though!!!

Thanks for your inputs, I feel much better now.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:55 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by STLKillerC5
Thanks fellas! Sounds like everything I'm hearing is normal. I do have double springs. From my reasearch before the mod everybody told me these would be better in the long run, but nobody mentioned more noise. Oh well. I also have the 7.4" pushrods, so it sounds like my mechanic did everything right. I am enjoying the power though!!!

Thanks for your inputs, I feel much better now.
That is the sound of POWER!

I did a H/C swap and it increased valvetrain noise too and it just took some time to get use to, both the new sounds and power!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I run the new Cadillac Racing lifters in my 402. Valve train noise like stock.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I run the new Cadillac Racing lifters in my 402. Valve train noise like stock.
I saw something, somewhere, I think a LITTLE blurb here on the Forum, about the Caddy Racing lifters being a little longer, or something like that, which "creates" an adjustment or correction or something like that, and that the Caddy Racing lifters therefore cut down on the noise - No, I'm not making this up, I really did read this somewhere; however, I'm probably not describing it correctly.

Hopefully!!!, I will find out this weekend if/when I FINISH my h/c swap and get to hear my G5X3 and AFR 205 heads rumble!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
threewinmag
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't mention whether you got exhaust or not, but when I got my work done, I heard a lot more valvetrain and exhaust noise because of the longtube headers which were now sitting right below me.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a head/cam package installed in my 2000 coupe. The mechanic that did the work is very experienced and corvette certified. I went with TEA Stage 1 heads and a XER273HR-14 224/230 (.588/.591) Comp Cam. New pushrods were installed. After the mod I noticed a big change in engine noise, a much louder "tapping" sound. The mechanic assured me that everything is OK and that's just more valvetrain noise due to the changes. I recently heard somebody say that the wrong sized pushrods will cause noise. The car runs STRONG, so it doesn't feel like something is wrong with the engine.

I guess my main question is should a head/cam package cause a significant increase in engine compartment noise?
It depends on how "loud" it is. Some sewing machine noise is normal. Loud clacking is not.
With the stock rockers not being adjustable, correct pushrod length is critical. We have found that in SOME cases the 7.4 pushrods are too LONG. We have had to use 7.350 more than a couple times.
Comp R lifters are known for being noisy also. Did you by chance install them as well?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
It depends on how "loud" it is. Some sewing machine noise is normal. Loud clacking is not.
With the stock rockers not being adjustable, correct pushrod length is critical. We have found that in SOME cases the 7.4 pushrods are too LONG. We have had to use 7.350 more than a couple times.
Comp R lifters are known for being noisy also. Did you by chance install them as well?
a little more noise is normal... but"clacking" etc..and I would have your mechanic pull the valve covers and look at the wipe pattern etc.. and valve geomtry....been there done that....close call for me. Like he said correct Pushrod length is critcal since you can't adjust the stock rockers.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:37 PM
STLKillerC5
Pro

I do have Kooks long tube headers, which may be helping increase the valavetrain noise. It does sound like a sewing machine, no loud clacking. From what everybody has described it sounds normal.

As far as the rockers, he used the stock rockers. We did not use CompR lifters.

94legaleagle - Let me know how your head/cam job turns out with the Cadillac rockers. Maybe in the future I'll have to consider installing those if it's less noisy.

Thanks for everybody's help so far, I love this forum!!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I do have Kooks long tube headers, which may be helping increase the valavetrain noise. It does sound like a sewing machine, no loud clacking. From what everybody has described it sounds normal.

As far as the rockers, he used the stock rockers. We did not use CompR lifters.

94legaleagle - Let me know how your head/cam job turns out with the Cadillac rockers. Maybe in the future I'll have to consider installing those if it's less noisy.

Thanks for everybody's help so far, I love this forum!!
From what you described here then, sounds like it's fine.
Enjoy the new power
Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Just paint "Singer" on the valvecovers and go for a ride.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by KidCid
Just paint "Singer" on the valvecovers and go for a ride.
So true!

Get notified of new replies

To Head/cam package valvetrain noise

Quick Reply: Head/cam package valvetrain noise