Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you buy a car in another state can you drive it home without plates?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey Robert! I bought my car in Hoffman Estates and drove it home to Phoenix. I got the three day temporary permit from Arizona and I had a notarized bill of sale.

BTW - I grew up in Niles! I got married and moved to Morton Grove, and lived there until I moved to Phoenix 15 years ago. When I lived in Niles I lived in the Dempster & Harlem area and moved to the Golf & Harlem area.

The best advise is to check with the Secretary of State and ask them what to do. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 PM
LeeJones
Melting Slicks

Location: I saw her today at the reception.....a glass of wine in her hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
I think that you have to register it in the state you purchased it. Then pay the sales tax and register it in your own state.
Nope.....you register it and pay taxes in the state where you live
Old 12-22-2006, 01:22 AM
2ndVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we are making this too hard. Go to the DMV in the state that you buy the car. Pay taxes and fees , get "IN Transit" placard. Keep receipts. Once you arrive at your home state, go to the DMV. Pay taxes-credit taxes paid to other state. Pay fees. Get home state tags.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Did the trip from CA to NV when I imported the Camaro from England

NV issued a single trip permit to get me home. I then registered in NV.

NV plates definitely stay with the owner not the buyer. I learned that the hard way in Tx when I got a parking ticket from Dallas 9 months later. I lived in San Antonio. And that was trading the car into a dealer.

Last edited by DeeGee; 12-23-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:27 AM
unionlandlord
C5 General
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Boosted in Manhattan & Round Rock TX. President of the Non Club Club of Kansas and Round Rock , Not the flat part.

dmv.org will tell you

I never get a temp plate.
Paul
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeJones
Nope.....you register it and pay taxes in the state where you live
I live in Pa. and got my car from Kerbeck, they have a tag place in Phila. and everything went through them. It was nice to not have any worries just write the big check....
Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
robert123
Drifting

Thanks Guys,
It looks like the owner will let me use his plates.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
P.S. I also live by Harlem and Dempster. Small world.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:59 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by robert123
Thanks Guys,
It looks like the owner will let me use his plates.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
P.S. I also live by Harlem and Dempster. Small world.
You're better off not having any plates on the vehicle. If you purchase the vehicle and are using the plates that belong to the seller, I believe that would be improper use of registration/ficticious plates. Personally, I'd be more likely to give you a ticket for that violation because it appears you're trying to pull a fast one.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 PM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
No you need to get a trip permit from either the state you buy the car in or the state you live in.

Check with your local DMV
Old 12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
NW_Vettes
Drifting

A lot of you are getting this correct.

Go to your "local" DMV and get a temporary or transport tag. Then when you buy the vehicle let that person keep his plates since he's out of state and are of no use to you. This also protects the seller from you getting him in trouble (or him getting you pulled over for traffic violations) with his plates on his registered car (until he notifies the DMV it is sold).

The key to all of this is you can not operate a vehicle with out it being registered to be driven on public roads NO MATTER WHAT STATE you live in. With that said I've done this the correct legal way and also have done it with just leaving the sellers plates on until I go home and registered it.

Playing ignorance won't get you out of a ticket everytime since cops are obligated to not allow unregistered vehicles travel on the road and they may even impound it. Odds are low but don't take the chance since Vettes are cop magnets anyhow.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:50 PM
jarsdad1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette&CobraGuy
A lot of you are getting this correct.

Go to your "local" DMV and get a temporary or transport tag. Then when you buy the vehicle let that person keep his plates since he's out of state and are of no use to you. This also protects the seller from you getting him in trouble (or him getting you pulled over for traffic violations) with his plates on his registered car (until he notifies the DMV it is sold).

The key to all of this is you can not operate a vehicle with out it being registered to be driven on public roads NO MATTER WHAT STATE you live in. With that said I've done this the correct legal way and also have done it with just leaving the sellers plates on until I go home and registered it.

Playing ignorance won't get you out of a ticket everytime since cops are obligated to not allow unregistered vehicles travel on the road and they may even impound it. Odds are low but don't take the chance since Vettes are cop magnets anyhow.
Don't try to convince anyone. There have been numerous posts saying what you are saying. Those people who have been "lucky" - P.O.s plates or no plates - at all are giving bad advice and apparently the original poster is going to follow that incorrect advice. Hope he makes it AND uses the $10-20 dollars he is saving (this after plunking down $15+k for a car) to buy something nice for himself. I just hope we don't get a "I got a F*$^n ticket" thread.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Vette&CobraGuy
With that said I've done this the correct legal way and also have done it with just leaving the sellers plates on until I go home and registered it.
As the seller of a vehicle, you should never leave the plates on it. In Illinois, license plates can be transferred from one vehicle to another by the original owner. I'd never depend on someone returning license plates for a vehicle, particularly someone from out-of-state. Secondly, the car no longer belongs to you. If someone else purchases your vehicle and has your plates on it, technically they can be cited for improper use of registration/ficticious plates.

As a former police officer, I'd be more than satisfied if I stopped a car with no registration and the driver produced a notorized title and/or a bill of sale. If I had any concerns about documentation, I'd contact the seller.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 PM
70Stang
Instructor

Well,

I drove my FRC from Omaha, NE to GA and got pulled over twice (speeding)

Both times they asked why I had NO plate....I showed them the title and the bill of sale and they sent me on my way.

Got pulled over agian 3days later...same deal, showed them the bill of sale, went on my way.

I still don't have any tag or paper plate on the car (2 months later) and I drive it everyday....
Old 12-23-2006, 01:59 AM
zTrek
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 70Stang
Well,

I drove my FRC from Omaha, NE to GA and got pulled over twice (speeding)

Both times they asked why I had NO plate....I showed them the title and the bill of sale and they sent me on my way.

Got pulled over agian 3days later...same deal, showed them the bill of sale, went on my way.

I still don't have any tag or paper plate on the car (2 months later) and I drive it everyday....
Exactly...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you buy a car in another state can you drive it home without plates?