Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you buy a car in another state can you drive it home without plates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 PM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobs dream
I used the owners plates. I had a bill of sale I downloaded off of the internet. I kept that and the title and ins. card in a folder in the car. Definately watch your speed!!! Good luck!

I bought mine in Atlanta and drove back to Baltimore, Md on the owners plates. you have to have a notorized bill of sale and a copy of your insurance binder covering any vehicle purchase. This will take the place of a tranport tag (if your state doesn't offer one), and will keep you in check with the local Johnny Law

Good luck on your trip.
It;s defintely the way to go. It's a great way to bond with your new baby!!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:09 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

i bought mine from Ill from Blown ECS Z06 and he took his plates off. i drove home plateless as this was a last minute decision. i had no problems with the cops. i did have a bill of sale and an insurance policy on the car. i had car troubles on my way home and a WI state trooper came to my aid, didn't even mention a thing about the plates, as i showed him ownership papers and insurance docs. He said it was cool.

good luck on your purchase! it is ALWAYS a memorable one!
Aj
Old 12-21-2006, 04:30 PM
mtwalet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robert123
I may be buying a c5 in another state and wanted to know how you guys would handle the license plate issue. Is a bill of sale enough just to get the car home?
I bought a truck in North Carolina. With the bill of sale, I got a get home tag to drive back to Pennsylvania from a dealer for a dollar! No problems.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM
GOZ2FST
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just drive really really fast - this will reduce your time on the road and make it harder to catch you.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
jarsdad1
Drifting

As many others have said, the state where you purchase the car controls its transit. Check with that states' DMV. They will tell you how to transport the car home. I have temp tags from NH, NJ as proof. I would NEVER use the P.O.s plates since it is illegal, and it could cause you trouble if there are outstanding issues involving the plate. And I would never give my plates to someone to use so they can accumulate parking tickets, EZPass fines, etc.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:50 PM
GRAY BEARD
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by billcocarb
Don't know if this 100% correct, but I've purchased cars from other states, drove them home with the plates that are on the car and then just mailed them back. Never had a problem. Guess I would rather do it that way than no plates at all. Hope this helps
Done this several times myself.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:54 PM
RFS-Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jarsdad1
And I would never give my plates to someone to use so they can accumulate parking tickets, EZPass fines, etc.
Thats why my brother never has to buy plates
Old 12-21-2006, 04:59 PM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jarsdad1
As many others have said, the state where you purchase the car controls its transit. Check with that states' DMV. They will tell you how to transport the car home. I have temp tags from NH, NJ as proof. I would NEVER use the P.O.s plates since it is illegal, and it could cause you trouble if there are outstanding issues involving the plate. And I would never give my plates to someone to use so they can accumulate parking tickets, EZPass fines, etc.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:22 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

This is a simple one. Don't listen to anyone here. Check with your local dmv/insurance agent to be sure.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM
big dad
Intermediate

bought my c5 from a dealer in florida and drove it to Pa. the dealer put on a 30 day paper plate on it . I had to register it in my state within 30 days
Old 12-21-2006, 05:56 PM
bscottb
Instructor

I just bought my C5 in Dallas last month ans drove home to South Carolina with just the dealer tag and the bill of sale. I was in 5 states and passed by several troopers and no one seemed to notice or care.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 PM
John G Pircsuk
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems like you got about a hundred more answers than you need. I'll give you one thats been repeated about a hundred times with a little twist.

Live in NY, bought a car in Michigan, drove it home through Canada (it's a lot shorter trip).

Heres the disclaimer: I didn't look at all 50 states, although I did a sample. ALMOST all states I looked at issue temporary plates if you are going to transport a vehicle within the state. You pretty much have to complete the same information you would if you registered the car. If you buy a car out out of state, MOST states you buy the car in issue you a temporary plate at the time of the sale at the DMV (or whatever they call it in that State) thats good for a decent period of time (almost 2 weeks in some states). The state that you are from in MOST cases recognize the other States temporary plate as legal...there is at least one exception (like everything). So this is in MOST cases how you do it legally. You have to get insurance and supply that information to the DMV to get the temporary plate.

I also drove my other vette home to NY from Ohio a few years ago. I did drive it home on the sellers plates. Sure...I had a bill of sale and everything...but this isn't legal. And if something happened while you were doing it...you'd at least get a ticket and at most give some icehole a reason to try and sue you (I know it doesn't have anything to do with anything but you know how it goes).

So I drove through canada with no plates on the car, a folder full of paperwork and the transport paper issued by the State of Michigan in the back window. Customs in Canada just asked what the transport paper number was...they didn't look at anything or ask any questions. US Customs asked to see my paperwork, which the guy thumbed through in about 10 seconds, then said "have a nice day". I thought every cop in Canada was gonna pull me over or the US Customs or Canadian Customs was gonna tie me up for 2 hours each...but it all worked out fine. Miracles do happen.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Cole
Pro

Look up your local DMV via web. her in Az, you can get a temporary permit - good for three days - I think for $1. Longer period is probably available, but that was all I needed.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I bought my car in Illinois and live in Wisconsin and I got a temp plate for like 15.00 from Illinois to cover me for 30 days till i got the car registered in Wisconsin. I know Wisconsin also works the same where you can buy a temp plate thats good for 30 days as well. This could work for other states.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 PM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Default Tim just lucky, I guess

Bought mine from a friend in South Carolina. He kept the license plate, but I did have a bill of sale and a signed title, plus I had the insurance on it already. Drove it back to Georgia, never got a second glance from the law. Of course, I didn't goof around in it either. This was Friday after Thanksgiving. Had to wait until Tuesday to get title transferred, but never had a problem. Drove it almost a week with no plate, and had no problem.

Tim Glover
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
2Qwik1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trip permit

I live in Virginia and bought my Z06 from a couple in Ohio. I got a 3 day trip permit through Virginia DMV which cost me 5 bucks. Had to tape the trip permit in the back window, have a bill of sale in the car along with proof of insurance. Drove about 700 miles home and didn't get stopped once.
HTH
Jim
Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Benpup
I think thats OK if you buy it from an individual, but if you get it through a dealer you have to tag it (paper plate) with the sate that you bought it in them reregister back in your home state.
If I bought out of state from an individual I would go to the DMV and get an operating permit. I bought one in CA a few years back and trransported to Texas and I got an Emergency Operating Permit from CA then reregistered in Texas.
Use the Internet to get in touch with the DMV of the state you are buying it in to see what their rules are.
Keep us posted
That's what I would think. A temp tag is pretty cheap and probably would prevent a lot of unwelcomed attention.

Get notified of new replies

To If you buy a car in another state can you drive it home without plates?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Torqaholic
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

When I bought mine I searched the other state's motor vehicle code to death (online) and there wasn't a single word about out of state purchases, only residents. I wasn't about to show up at their DMV with a blank check.

I ended up letting the owner deliver it to me after I test drove it and the check cleared to pay off his financing. He said he'd always meant to take a long cruise but just never got the chance. Glad I could help him out with a nice long goodbye ride to remember her by.

He didn't sign over the title or remove the insurance until it was delivered in case there was an accident along the way.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:11 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

You should be fine. Make sure that you have a notorized bill-of-sale or the title with you. You might also want to have the phone number of the person you purchased the car from handy so the officer can contact him/her to verify the sale if you do get stopped.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought mine in Ohio and it cost $10.00 for a temp. license to drive it back to New York State.

Quick Reply: If you buy a car in another state can you drive it home without plates?