Sponsored by:

teflon oils ie slick50 etc any good

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default teflon oils ie slick50 etc any good

anyone here use the teflon oils? lot of companies sell simular teflon products. ( teflon oil = teflon additive to an oil )

i had good luck with it on older oil burning engines usually cut oils consumption 50 percent or more. worked really good on vw's and porsches
i know those are dirty words here but i was a kid then

i used it in a few new cars and never had an engine failure but never could tell if was any better than using good clean oil.

i notice teflon on a lot of internal engine parts so it must do something

at extreme rpm's i would think the teflon oil would work a tad better than non teflon oil

just a guess any ideas?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't not use any product that stakes its claim based on testimonial evidence. From what I’ve read there is nothing legally why oil companies can’t use PFT in their oil formulations. The problem is that Dupont will not accept responsibility for engine failures and no one can actually confirm that the stuff stays as a colloidal solution without clumping somewhere and clogging. I would stick with the good old (new) synthetics.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Stay away from additives in synthetic oil (especially).
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM
ksmagellan
Instructor

Use a high quality oil that meets OEM specs and you'll have all the protection you need. Most owners manuals now state that if aftermarket additives are used in the oil, it will void the warranty! Teflon is the worst because it clings, sticks and builds up which leads to plugged openings, lines and every place intened for oil to flow.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ok

roger that !
Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Frozenfire
Burning Brakes

I treated all my cars with Slik50 prior to Mobil1 coming on the market. The oil analysis demonstrated less wear post treatment. As for voiding any warranties, when you treat an older engine, it's out of warranty anyway.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Bruce1899
Advanced

Here's a post off a friend of mine's web site. He has been a mechanic all his life. Take it for what it's worth.

"Tiny's Tips
About Engine, Transmission
& Fuel Additives
No maintenance topics could be complete without some discussion on additives. The most popular question I am asked is to give my opinion on PTFE oil additives. Well, I think they suck. I think they are worthless and most everyone who knows anything about oil shares my view.
I call almost all engine oil additives "snake oils". I have never, nor will I ever recommend that anyone spend $30 or so for a quart of regular oil and what may be a tablespoon of Teflon. Independent tests have clearly shown that there is no documentation to support those outrageous claims of eliminating wear by using a "magic lotion". Furthermore, Ford, GM, and Chrysler all warranty their car engines for up to seven years. If there was a product that stopped engine wear and virtually eliminated the possibility of major engine repair and did all of the other outlandish claims they say their products will do, why wouldn't these products be installed at the factory.
One independent test showed that one magic lotion actually caused more engine wear than regular oil. The most comprehensive testing I've seen done was in an article in Road Rider Magazine Aug. '92. After seven pages of test results, they said, "...We doubt that PTFE is much slicker than some of the people marketing it."
A different government report says they were never able to identify all the laboratories that tested and now tout these oil additives. It goes on to say that they were unable to document almost all of the claims made by these lotion salesmen.
Even the inventor of Teflon, Dupont, says there is no evidence that their product mixed with engine oil will benefit the engine.
I have requested that most of the major players in the PTFE additive game provide me with documentation and data of the tests they claim they have run. Not one will provide so much as the name of the lab, the name of the person who did the tests, or any information other than those silly marketing brochures.
A message to wives: In one "magic lotion" commercial, a wife knocks a hole in the oil pan of her very expensive car. While all the oil runs out onto the ground, she calls her husband from the side of the road using her cellular phone. He says something like, "drive it on home honey, I've recently put xxx oil treatment in the engine." If this ever occurs to you, and your car is under any kind of warranty and you expect to collect on the claim, you better call a tow truck!
I'm not against additives. But don't use them because you think your car will love you more. Use an additive (oil, transmission, radiator, and fuel) when you have a symptom to correct. For instance, if you suspect you may have water in your fuel tank, use a fuel additive that absorbs water. A small radiator leak may require the use of a radiator stop leak. If your car is old and uses a lot of oil, use an oil additive that helps to control oil consumption."
Old 12-20-2006, 10:58 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

In 1991 I purchased an '87 Honda Accord Lxi with 60k miles on it. I put Slick 50 in it and drove it till it hit 150 k and never had an engine problem. I then sold it to my neighbor in 1996 for his daughter to drive to college. After she finished college her dad then started driving it to work and it is still going strong with around 300k miles on it and never an engine problem. The morning after I put the Slick 50 in the engine it spun over much faster than normal when I turned the key to start it. That told me there was much less friction it the engine than before.

I also put it in my 87 Ford Aerostar at that same time with similar great results. I put 110 k miles on it and then sold it to another neighbor who drove it for several years with no engine problems.

I have never used it since that time as most of my vehicles lately have been under warranty. I would highly recomend it in older vehicles based on my previous experience with it. I generally change the oil in my vehicles (except my Vette) every 3-4k miles.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I would never recommend the use of oil additives, particularly those with PTFE in them for most of the same reasons given in Bruce1899's post above....

However... if you do decide to add one of these products to your oil, I would urge you to monitor your oil closely for the next few thousand miles. Whether they work as advertised or not will be debated for as long as people are willing to buy these products, in spite of a lack of statistical data. But I did experience severe oil consumption in a well maintained, low mileage, FI V-8 after using Slick-50 many years ago. As soon as I changed the oil the oil consumption ended.

Good luck... but be careful... GUSTO
Old 12-21-2006, 09:59 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You always wonder if these products work but I'm a believer. Disclaimer, GM says not to use it in the LS1 motor so I have not used it in my C5 but I owned a '71 vette back in 1985 that I had just rebuilt the engine and after break-in period of 1000 miles I added Slick50. I was invited to drive in the 4th of July parade that year. I had no idea that my radiator had a pin hole leak and by the middle of the parade route my temps rose but because I had a faulty coolant temp sensor I had no idea how badly. After 1 hour in 95* sunny weather creeping at 1-2 mph I was finally able to pull off the parade route and check out the situation. The radiator was bone dry! The car drove fine for the next 12 months before selling it to go off to college. There was NO loss of power or performance either. Tell me anyone here could do that in anyone of their cars with a tight new engine. That $25 saved me $1000 in a new motor.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not in my engine...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Not in the Vette but I had alot of good experience with Restore in my other cars.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Oldad
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I used it before Mobil 1. Will not use in Vette. Just follow GM. 5W30 Mobil 1 and change by oil life or yearly. If nothing sitcks to teflon then teflon will not stick to anything.JMHO Same thing with waxs that claim they have teflon in them!

I have an old lawn mower, that over heated and froze up, it was out of oil! I filled it with Slick 50 and slowly pulled it over by hand a few mins. Then started it, it ran fine. that was 15 years ago, it still works but I don't use it anymore. I do start it a few times a summer just for fun. It still has that Slice 50 in it- it has become one with the engine.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,440 Likes on 14,049 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The new synthetics work just fine in these engines. It won't be going in the C5. I did use a can of Slick 50 in a '79 Mustang I had but really couldn't tell if it helped or not.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:59 PM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Send me the money to burn instead.

Seriously, those products are a waste of money. Use a top grade motor oil, filter and follow good change intervals. Your motor will be just fine.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a trip to Montana and back last summer I changed the oil and Slick 50d my high mileage Saturn. After the treatment I averaged 2mpg better on the highway. I wouldn't use Slick 50 in my Z06, b/c of the synthetic oil.

I put a product called MotorKote (non teflon) in the Vette, and It reduced my valve-train noise, and increased gas mileage 1mpg average.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:12 PM
robert123
Drifting

To the people who say they got high miles because of slick 50. Well my neighbor had a Cadillac with 280,000 miles on it and only used the Walmart brand oilfor his car. My father had a Chevy Malibu with 200,000
miles on it and changed the oil every 6,000 miles. So I dont think engines last longer just because people put slick 50 in them.

Get notified of new replies

To teflon oils ie slick50 etc any good

Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Dave68
Amen
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP043.html
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 PM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all snake oil and does not work
Originally Posted by Dave68
Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Beware the snake oil...it's everywhere!

Hey, have any of you guys tried the "Tornado" air intake charger lately?

Quick Reply: teflon oils ie slick50 etc any good