Sponsored by:

[Z06] best seats for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default best seats for HPDE?

I am a new ZO6 owner and I bought the car mainly for track events. The problem is the stock seat is like sitting on an upholstered beach ball when cornering hard! I was considering Corbeau A4, Sparco EVO, etc., but I just saw the Recaro "Speed" and now it's a possible choice.

What's the seat of choice on the forum and why?
Any input or suggestions? Thanks.

Cheers from Arizona
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Depending on you physical size would depend on the seats. the Sparko Evo is very popular. With either sparko or hardbar seat rails.

You want a seat that is snugg on your hips, no sliding side to side in the seat.

Stock belts work OK, but not great. A harness bar and 6 point belts will be in order too.

Same seats and belts for BOTH sides. Many HPDE schools require identical restraints for both seats.

Good Luck
Old 12-19-2006, 02:49 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a sparco evo 2L, with a team-tech 5 point belt. Love the seat, and I never take it out. I have some pics if that helps.
Nando
Old 12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default A4's

I have a set of the micro suede A4's in my Z06 and love them. They are comfortable enough that you do not need to take them in and out between events. They fit nice and the reclining feature is very nice as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM
az55
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I have a set of the micro suede A4's in my Z06 and love them. They are comfortable enough that you do not need to take them in and out between events. They fit nice and the reclining feature is very nice as well.
The reclining feature is one of the reasons I'm looking at the A4. I have limited time so ease of install is important, too. Thanks.
Anybody else with suggestions or opinions?
Cheers.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're looking at the A4s and are going to use the Corbeau mounts, you might want to check into Crow Enterprizes 6-point harnesses made for the C5 Corvette. Well made and priced right.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:35 AM
urwtdrm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the A4's in my Cobra and they were great. 24lbs a piece I think
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

The more secure and stable the seat, no reclining or sliding back and forth, the more secure the seat will be.

If the car is most for track time, not street driving then a perment seat mounting is best.

Once the seat is adjusted to your position, which takes time. then leave it there.

Personnally I set in many many seats and I found most seats I did not like. the Sparkos were OK, not great, the Corbeaus again OK not great.

I chose an Ultra-shield alumium seat. ( has a thin fabric cover) Fits me like a glove. On Hard Bar seat rails.

It Has high thigh and side/ rib support to keep me firm in place. Plus shoulder wings.

My car is not driven on the street except to bed in brakes and check it out.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
az55
Instructor

Default What a great group on this forum!

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I will check out Crow Enterprises if I go with Corbeau seats.

I had not considered the Ultra shield seat, but it looks like a great idea for a total track car. However, for the next year or two, I'll be driving on the street sometimes. I can get to events on Sunday only, so I won't be able to run at competition level until that changes. Too bad I have to work to pay for toys!
Cheers.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:57 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Last C5
If you're looking at the A4s and are going to use the Corbeau mounts, you might want to check into Crow Enterprizes 6-point harnesses made for the C5 Corvette. Well made and priced right.
Right on the money! I have the 6pt Crows and they fit the seat perfectly.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Right on the money! I have the 6pt Crows and they fit the seat perfectly.
If you go with the Crows and the car is primarily for the track you might want to consider bolt on ends for the lap and sub belts. If I remember right the set comes with clip ons. When I ordered mine the guy at Crow I talked to said " We're like Burger King, we'll make em the way you want em." That is personnal preference of course, it's just nice to know you have the choice if you want it.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Z06Plasticfantastic
Instructor

Check your regulations for the track and HPDE group you are driving with. If they specify SFI rated seats, then you can't go wrong with the Sparco EVO or PRO 2000. I also recommend ditiching the stock seat belts which get in the way and go with a good 5 pt harness seat up. If you are installing harnesses, make sure you put in a roll bar or atleast a harness bar or none of this will pass inspection.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Some clubs are cracking down on so called saftey items. The Challange is more harness systems are incorrectly installed. PLUS seats are not anchord correctley from behind.

Race seats must be peminityly attached, no slidding seat rails, and be attached from the back, about shoulder level to the roll bar behind.

Read the clubs rules, get a hold of the Event Masters / Stewarts or Chief Instructor.

This past year, we have see so many improperly installed harness systems that we had to tell a few ppl that they could not use them. Use the stock belts systems.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Some clubs are cracking down on so called saftey items. The Challange is more harness systems are incorrectly installed. PLUS seats are not anchord correctley from behind.

Race seats must be peminityly attached, no slidding seat rails, and be attached from the back, about shoulder level to the roll bar behind.

Read the clubs rules, get a hold of the Event Masters / Stewarts or Chief Instructor.

This past year, we have see so many improperly installed harness systems that we had to tell a few ppl that they could not use them. Use the stock belts systems.
Very true, Two many are just using their stock seats without any mods for the belts to go through instead of around the headrest. To maintain "stealthy" in the event I'm pulled over during One Lap. I found that the more the car looks OEM, the better the chance of getting off with a warning :-) I had my stock seats' springs lowered and slots cut and sown into the top of the seats.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rudyarias
Very true, Two many are just using their stock seats without any mods for the belts to go through instead of around the headrest. To maintain "stealthy" in the event I'm pulled over during One Lap. I found that the more the car looks OEM, the better the chance of getting off with a warning :-) I had my stock seats' springs lowered and slots cut and sown into the top of the seats.
Have any pics?
Robert
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert56
Have any pics?
Robert
Sent you an email as I have yet to figure out on how to upload pics to this board :-)
Old 12-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I chose an Ultra-shield alumium seat. ( has a thin fabric cover) Fits me like a glove.
It Has high thigh and side/ rib support to keep me firm in place. Plus shoulder wings.
Me too Self fabricated harness bar and seat brackets.
I have to go in head first to get into the seat. Fortunatly this isn't my daily driver

Get notified of new replies

To best seats for HPDE?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:51 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Have any pics?
Robert
Did you get the pics? I forgot to mention that the $300 was for both seats and leather not vinyl for the inseams of the slots.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rudyarias
Did you get the pics? I forgot to mention that the $300 was for both seats and leather not vinyl for the inseams of the slots.
No I never got it. The E-mail in my sig does not work, use the e=mail in my profile under name above avatar. Thanks, I really am interested.
Robert
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No I never got it. The E-mail in my sig does not work, use the e=mail in my profile under name above avatar. Thanks, I really am interested.
Robert
Sent them again to the comcast email addy

Quick Reply: [Z06] best seats for HPDE?