Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friends 2000 Vert got seats slashed ...help please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:04 PM
SultansDiamond
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
I'm only telling you what my friend told me about his treatment from the ins. co ...and he said he had Collision and comprehensive coverage...the comprehensive has a $100 ded(supposedly covers vandalism )....but their comp supposedly has exclusions,wtf?)..what ever the F that means in this case

35 year as an insurance broker...

Something does stink here! First of all, comprehensive is coverage when your car is sitting still, and collision is for when it's moving. This is a comp. claim. Both sections have "exclustions"?

Vandelism is one of the most fundamental and oldest coverages in insurance history. He most certainly is covered! It sounds like they may be trying to argue he failed to protect from loss? That's a bunch of bunk. If you leave your car door unlocked and someone steals it - is it covered? If you put your top up and a vandal happens by with a knife guess what's about to happen to your top and seats? They should reward him for saving them the cost of top replacement. This is a topless car - that's what convertibles do!

Actually, I am familiar with a provision that says "once a loss occurs you are obligated to prevent further damage", but none that says you are obligated to "safeguard" from loss (other than maybe an alarm warranty - warranties are specific endorsements). Unless the carrier is alleging fraud - this claim is clearly covered? I don't think your buddy is giving you all the straight poop about what's going on.

Last edited by SultansDiamond; 11-02-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Methinks something is stinky here.......
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Oldad
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Well that really SUX.
Whats the name of that company???
If the top had been up they would have just cut their way in!
Then the claim would be for a top and seats.
Nice of you to help hope you find seat covers here
Good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Nobigspoilerz
Pro

Originally Posted by SultansDiamond

Something does stink here! First of all, comprehensive is coverage when your car is sitting still, and collision is for when it's moving. This is a comp. claim. Both sections have "exclusions"?

Vandelism is one of the most fundamental and oldest coverages in insurance history. He most certainly is covered! It sounds like they may be trying to argue he failed to protect from loss? That's a bunch of bunk. If you leave your car door unlocked and someone steals it - is it covered? If you put your top up and a vandal happens by with a knife guess what's about to happen to your top and seats? They should reward him for saving them the cost of top replacement. Convertibles have removable tops that's what they are designed to do... there is no policy language prohibiting driving, or parking a convertible with the top down.

Actually, I am familiar with a provision that says "once a loss occurs you are obligated to prevent further damage", but none that says you are obligated to "safeguard" from loss (other than maybe an alarm warranty,or other "warranties" which are specific endorsements to address certain issues). Unless he has materially increased the "risk" of loss over and above what the carrier contemplated on issuing he has not put the car at unreasonalble risk just by leaving the top down - the carrier knew they were insuring a topless car and he did nothing to materially increase their risk of loss. If the carrier isn't alleging fraud - this claim is clearly covered? I don't think your buddy is giving you all the straight poop about what's going on.

What if dude has GEBCO? (Sorry, it's a Maryland thing...) Seriously though, you make 100% sense. My crap detector is going off after reading this thread thoroughly. No offense to the guy trying to help his friend.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hello fellow CorvetteForum members...
A friend of mine had a really bad experience last week...he had his beautiful sport seats (2000 Vert)slashed to bits by vandals. His insurance will not cover the damage because he left his top down...anyway they just will not help him out. He could have told them he had the top up but he answered them honestly and that was their response and decision .
That sucks, tell your friend to advise the insurance company he will drop them if they do not cover it. Vandalism is vandalism. Lets see if they are dumb enough to lose a customer for lousy seat covers
Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 PM
SultansDiamond
Burning Brakes

The important thing to me here is finding some damn used covers so I can fix his seats temporarily...If I can't find some here,I will go find some cheap temporary skins on ebay and buy them for him...I have seen many generous caring people here on the CorvetteForum over the years and I just wanted to try here first...again don't make the ins. co a big issue please

No, actually the "important thing here" is to straighten out the insurance issue because once that house is in order... there is no "finding some damn used covers - issue.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, actually the "important thing here" is to straighten out the insurance issue because once that house is in order... there is no "finding some damn used covers - issue.

I agree, but something tells me that we won't be hearing anything any more.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,407 Likes on 14,033 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Try posting a want ad in the C5 Parts for Sale Section or just browse through the posts. Seat covers come up every now and then. Or, give Gene at the KarShop a call and see if he can help.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Something does stink here! First of all, comprehensive is coverage when your car is sitting still, and collision is for when it's moving. This is a comp. claim. Both sections have "exclusions"?

Vandelism is one of the most fundamental and oldest coverages in insurance history. He most certainly is covered! It sounds like they may be trying to argue he failed to protect from loss? That's a bunch of bunk. If you leave your car door unlocked and someone steals it - is it covered? If you put your top up and a vandal happens by with a knife guess what's about to happen to your top and seats? They should reward him for saving them the cost of top replacement. Convertibles have removable tops that's what they are designed to do... there is no policy language prohibiting driving, or parking a convertible with the top down.

Actually, I am familiar with a provision that says "once a loss occurs you are obligated to prevent further damage", but none that says you are obligated to "safeguard" from loss (other than maybe an alarm warranty,or other "warranties" which are specific endorsements to address certain issues). Unless he has materially increased the "risk" of loss over and above what the carrier contemplated on issuing he has not put the car at unreasonalble risk just by leaving the top down - the carrier knew they were insuring a topless car and he did nothing to materially increase their risk of loss. If the carrier isn't alleging fraud - this claim is clearly covered? I don't think your buddy is giving you all the straight poop about what's going on.

This was a great post!
Very informative and you may be right about my friend not telling me exactly what his insurance company told him. I just relayed what he told me and I may have to suggest to him that he go back and get in writing what he told me his ins. co. told him...so I can seek some more opinions on the matter of his insurance "not covering his seats problem"...still, I am going to help him with the covers one way or another till he gets his tax refund next may.
BTW...thanks to the skeptics who have turned this thread into crap for me...
Old 11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Try posting a want ad in the C5 Parts for Sale Section or just browse through the posts. Seat covers come up every now and then. Or, give Gene at the KarShop a call and see if he can help.
Thanks JD...this is the kind of help I needed...I should have never mentioned the insurance issue he told me about ...will do as you suggest. You always have good suggestions
Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by EHS
I agree, but something tells me that we won't be hearing anything any more.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DBRASUE
I have on many occassions donated items to our forum friends and will continue to do so. It has been a very pleasant experience for both parties. I have seat covers to donate. If your friend wants them have him contact me. Please dont PM me unless you really have something to say!
Excellent...can I PM you his name and address or do you want him to write a letter to you personally...I did not realize thats why you wanted to know who he was...thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:54 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for coming back, I just had another thought.

Maybe some duct tape while he waits for his tax refund next May?

That would be quick and cheap.

What do you think?

Would save all the "my friend" this, "my friend" that.

At this point, it probably would have been easier for him to just register on the forum himself, no?

You're a real pal to be doing all this work for him.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Wow, I wish this post was in August, because I just had new seat covers made by Sandy at Vette Essentials. She asked me if I wanted my old covers back (black) when she installed my new seats, and I told her to hang on to them. They were hers to keep.

This is a long shot, but she may still have my old black seat covers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the passengers side seat (since I rarely had any passengers in my car) and the drivers side had a very slight wear spot where your hip rubs against the side of the seat as you get in. Other than that, they are perfectly fine. Give Sandy a call, and tell her Suzanne wants to know if you could possibly donate her old seat covers to a worthy cause?

I know Sandy has a heart of gold, if she still has them, and you want to pay one way postage, she would be more than happy to send them to you. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by luvmy82
Wow, I wish this post was in August, because I just had new seat covers made by Sandy at Vette Essentials. She asked me if I wanted my old covers back (black) when she installed my new seats, and I told her to hang on to them. They were hers to keep.

This is a long shot, but she may still have my old black seat covers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the passengers side seat (since I rarely had any passengers in my car) and the drivers side had a very slight wear spot where your hip rubs against the side of the seat as you get in. Other than that, they are perfectly fine. Give Sandy a call, and tell her Suzanne wants to know if you could possibly donate her old seat covers to a worthy cause?

I know Sandy has a heart of gold, if she still has them, and you want to pay one way postage, she would be more than happy to send them to you. Good luck!
Thanks I appreciate that. ...I just got 2 emails of nice members wanting to send a set of skins...there are some really nice peeps here and also some sarcastic bastiches ....always crap in the world to try to make something good into something bad...
Moderator can now close this thread...thanks to all the nice peeps in this thread.

BTW...I have some new in box C4 parts I will be donating to people who need them

Quick Reply: Friends 2000 Vert got seats slashed ...help please...