Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 years old, plan on buying a corvette. Is this a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:20 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first 00 Coupe when i was 18 not too long ago- had a Cadillac STS at 16, Silverado, Mustang, and Camaro. Im on my second Corvette, an FRC that im sure im going to settle on for a while. Have I blown a lot of money? Yes, but im a car guy and I enjoy it all. These kind of cars appeal to our emotions and not the pratical side of our minds. As long as you dont burrie yourself in debt to the point where your struggling to eat then I say reach as high as you can and enjoy lifes offering any way you can

Im 19 and i drive a 99 FRC and Im enjoying every mile Happy Motoring and good luck in whatever you decide on doing.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17 AM
JayBDUB661
Instructor

Bought my C5 outright by myself when I was 23.....I have also owned 3 Z28's, & a LT1 Trans AM.....
Go for it if you can afford it, just be sure not to get too stupid & total the thing out a week after getting it! LOL
My $.02
Old 10-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by god hand
I live a home so I dont pay any bills.
If you didn't say that, I would say go for it. You're 20 years old, it's time to cut the cord.

...after that, do whatever you want with your money. I was 21 when I got mine, but had been out of my parents house for 3 years by then.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 AM
stock c5
Instructor

If you like living at home, your parents are cool, then buy the car and mod it while you can afford it. Then move out and have the best of both worlds.

But again, moving out is alot cooler than living at home. I moved out when I was 17 and had tons of chicks. They like being able to stay over without parents being around. You get the point.

All in all, its your money, do what you want.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

It's your life and your money but if you feel that you need to buy a particular car to make you "the man", then there may be other issues in your life that you might want to address first.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:53 AM
pointu
Melting Slicks

Location: sometimes the lights are shining on me, other times i can barely see minnesota

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
maybe his parents like him. Im sorry but charging your kid rent is f..d up unless they can afford to buy a house.
both my kids know that they can live at home free if they are in school, if they are not and are working than they will pay rent.
they have to learn about real life somehow or they will live at home forever.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:57 AM
black2KC5vette
Racer

Default Your call

Here's the story. I'm 19 and at the end of the year I will have more than 20K in cash. I was going to get a Trans am, but they have to high of a resale price, so now I'm saving for a C5 98-03. I live a home so I dont pay any bills. I work 4-5 days a week and with OT my check can get up to a 1,000. I plan on getting a vette around March, April, or May. By then I should have 25K in cash.

When people ask me if I got a car I say no and they say What the hell? Why not? I tell them I plan on getting a vette then they say What the ****? Do not waste your money on a car it has no value u wont like it 2 months later blah blah blah u should get a kia or a civic and open up a business lol. I dont know anything about opening up a business lol.

Anyways I wanted to here what's your opinion on this. Do u think I should get the car of my dreams? Or do u think I should by economy car and saving whats left over. What would you guys do?
Do what YOU want to do. If it ends up being a mistake, YOU will learn from it. If it end up working out, YOU will learn from it.

It's called life.

B2KC5V
Old 10-31-2006, 09:00 AM
stock c5
Instructor

Where did he say anything about being the man?? That was brought up by someone esle.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 AM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stock c5
Where did he say anything about being the man?? That was brought up by someone esle.
He brought it up. It's the first line in his poll.

I'm with the invest/buy a house crowd. It's not the answer you want to hear but it is the smart one.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Here's the story. I'm 19 and at the end of the year I will have more than 20K in cash. I was going to get a Trans am, but they have to high of a resale price, so now I'm saving for a C5 98-03. I live a home so I dont pay any bills. I work 4-5 days a week and with OT my check can get up to a 1,000. I plan on getting a vette around March, April, or May. By then I should have 25K in cash.

When people ask me if I got a car I say no and they say What the hell? Why not? I tell them I plan on getting a vette then they say What the ****? Do not waste your money on a car it has no value u wont like it 2 months later blah blah blah u should get a kia or a civic and open up a business lol. I dont know anything about opening up a business lol.

Anyways I wanted to here what's your opinion on this. Do u think I should get the car of my dreams? Or do u think I should by economy car and saving whats left over. What would you guys do?
Get the car you want............
When I was 18 back in 1980.............I worked my **** off and payed cash for my 1968 Camaro...$3,000.............still have it
Then I bought a truck 5 years later............to help build my house.
Lay out some goals (Home, move to another state, education, job, etc.) and go from there. My nephew who is 22 bought a C5 over a year ago cause the insurance was much less that an f-body and safer.
If you plan to keep the car anyway..........ya just gotta decide coupe, vert or FRC.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Wake Champ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taldir
Haha. If your 19 and live at home.. save your money and move on your own. No car is worth being stuck at home friday night with no girlfriend.

I agree. 20,000 would be a big down payment on a house. House or Car? No question, house. Although on the other hand, if you buy a good used 97-99, you should not expect much depreciation and be able to sell it
Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Drive it with respect and you will have miles of smiles!

Peace
Chip

Old 10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

If you were my son, I would want to know what your short term goals are and your long term goals... I know the value of an education... that's why I put my two children through College.. daughter is 30 and has a PHD in Pharmacy and is making 150K. My Son is 34 and does the download interpretations for the Hubble Space Telescope. He is making 130K a year...
The average high school graduate makes between 25K and 35 K a year.
A B.S. Degree is becoming more and more minimally necessary. Even in some entry level positions. Even auto mechanics are now being required to have some sort of degree from an accredited learning institution..

You said you work 4 or five days a week.,.... that does not sound like a stable job...

There is nothing wrong with having a Corvette at 19, but it should Not be a priority at this time... If owning and maintaining a Corvette will keep you from getting an education... this Corvette may be the very reason you may be in the poor house when you are 60. This decision could impact the rest of your life... AT 19, you need to be thinking about your future. Nothing wrong with having fun, but a Corvette at 19 will not insure your financial security and could be the very reason why you may regret this decision when you are 30.
Good Luck
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 10-31-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:13 AM
JNS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
If you were my son I would want to know what you short term goals are and your long term goals... I know the value of an education... thats why I put my two children through College.. daughter is 30 and has a PHD in Pharmacy and is making 150K. My Son is 34 and does the download interpretations for the Hubble Space Telescope. He is making 130K a year...
The average high school graduate makes between 25K and 35 K a year.
A B.S. Degree is becoming more and more minimally necessary. Even in some entry level positions. Even auto mechanics are now being required
(snip)

Bill aka ET
Couldn't have said it better myself. At least there are a few sensible people posting in this thread. The sad part is the result of the poll. The original poster doesn't have a clue. And don't even get me started on the insurance issue. I agree he and his agent/friend should both be turned in for fraud. Reading this thread last night had me boiling.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 AM
StiflersVette
Instructor

I'm 25 now, but when I was 19 I had my 1992 Vette Convertible. Loved every minute of it, but I could afford it too. Only get the vette if it fits your budget.

Greg
Old 10-31-2006, 10:36 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you have a safe place to park it, and can COMFORTABLY afford to be without the money, it’s a worthwhile investment. My only concern would be the same one that I have for myself: having a corvette as a primary driver puts you in ethical predicaments when you need to drive in “less than sunny” conditions or park in unsecured areas. I’m extremely weary of leaving ANYTHING nice (much less a corvette) in a parking lot.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
Why put that money into a car? Use it as a down payment on a house and worry about the car a little down the road. Nothing says 'I'm the man' like having your own bachelor pad. Nothing says 'I'm a weenie' like having a nice ride but I live in my parents basement.
Buy a house or condo, something that appreciates in value for now. Then get the Vette!

Get notified of new replies

To 19 years old, plan on buying a corvette. Is this a bad idea?

Old 10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
Insurance on a C5 should actually be cheaper than an Fbody, Mustang, the performance imports ie. the neon.
This is true. I just bought a 93 Coupe for my 17 year old son, the insurance is cheaper than a 6 cylinder Camaro.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

Life is a bunch of forks in the road; your's depends on which ones you take. That said, you can have anything you want; you just can't have everything you want. You have to decide what you want and layout the path to get there which often includes sacrificing other priorities. It's up to you.

Me? I got my first vette at age 60. I always wanted one, but did not make it a priority. I have no regrets.

DBD
Old 10-31-2006, 02:25 PM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunbindun(tov)
Life is a bunch of forks in the road; your's depends on which ones you take. That said, you can have anything you want; you just can't have everything you want. You have to decide what you want and layout the path to get there which often includes sacrificing other priorities. It's up to you.

Me? I got my first vette at age 60. I always wanted one, but did not make it a priority. I have no regrets.

DBD

Elegantly put.

Quick Reply: 19 years old, plan on buying a corvette. Is this a bad idea?