btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Default Need MAJOR advise

Ok---this may get a bit long but I want to make sure I explain everything perfectly...

The oil pressure sensor on my 99 coupe is not working and either is my horn. As you all know (and maybe some don't) I just purchased the car about 3 weeks ago (not yet 30 days). I just got the car registered and of course have 10 days to get it inspected---so it is now at the garage since last Friday waiting to hear from the warranty company on the parts---I was given a 3 month standard warranty from Guardian here in PA..They finally called my mechanic today and informed him that these parts are not covered...WHAT??? So I come home and read the warranty papers.. It says that if a component is NOT SPECIFICALLY listed then it is NOT covered---so I keep reading..It does not mention the oil pressure sensor but it does mention the oil pump and gears as covered items under the "powertrain coverage" and as I read on it states under "electrical" and I quote the paper "electric horn" is a covered component...

So my questions:

1.) (maybe a blonde moment here but just to be on the safe side) What is an electric horn?? Isn't that what ALL cars have?

2.) If the oil pump and gears are covered and this warranty is not specific to a car with the oil pressure sensor---shouldn't it be covered with the pump?

3.) For those of you that live in Jersey---do you have a lemon law and are working horns required for inspection in your state?

I would appreciate all the help you can muster.. I fully intend on calling the warranty company tomorrow and if I get no satisfaction from them I intend on calling the dealer I purchased it from. I especially need to know about the Jersey Laws so I know if I have a leg to stand on if I get no satisfaction. I will be requiring them to either make it right or take back the car under the lemon law as I could not get it inspected in the state of PA without the horn. Yes I am being picky---I might not ever need to use the horn and I could find someone to inspect it without the horn but that is not the point--and it's illegal.

It's also very distressing to me personally. Alot of you have answered so many questions about what kind of great things I can do to this car and have been wonderful to me and even though you could never see me on this side of the monitor I smile and smile a whole lot more evertime I had someone give me a thumbs up or a new suggestion for a mod. I never thought of owning a vette---I have mentioned that before---but now that I have one---I really can't imagine being without it. I know it sounds dramatic and I can't believe how upset I am either---but the one thing my husband always hated about me was the fact that I am a pesimist. I feel that if I imagine the worst then when it happens---I'm prepared and if the best happens---I'm happy. All in all---aside from this new developement--this is a great car---I really don't want to have to start looking all over again.. And if it works out for the best---I will be back and looking for all the great mod suggestions I can get...

Thanks
Lori
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
C5_Roadster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im from massachsuetts and if you cant get an inspection sticker the lemon law should apply
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I know it was a little windy---I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to read it and give me your input.

Thanks
Lori
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I would just pay to get it fixed. Part of the deal with owning these cars (in my opinion) is that when they need work, you have it done, or park it until you can. They don't typically need a lot of work, but they also do *not* take well to being driven half-broken. It's not a Camry.

Warranties are nothing but insurance policies, and lousy ones at that. Ever try to get money from an insurance company that doesn't particularly want to pay (which would be most or all of them)? Life's too short. Pay the money and get on with enjoying your wonderful new car.

Also, consider whether the insurance company is going to let you take the car to whatever mechanic you want and pay them their full rate. Not likely. So now you have maybe a substandard mechanic who is being chiseled on the work. He's going to be real enthusiastic about doing a great job. Not.

All used cars need work. Heck, a lot of new cars need work. Whenever I buy used, I set aside a little bit of money to cover exactly this situation.

Just my opinion. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:54 PM
REW89
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil pressure sensor failure is not infrequent on C5s and in my opinion the fact that it failed, or is failing, does not make a car a lemon. There are numerous posts here, and on the LS1Forum.com, addressing sensor problems and complete step by step instructions on how to replace the sensor. If you are not mechanically inclined I would not recommend tackling the job but it is not a major undertaking for a shop.

The horn may be something simple. I assume you checked for a blown fuse or even a wire broken, or disconnected. Warranties for used cars usuallly only cover the most major components, and typically NOT bumper-to-bumper like those offered with new cars. It sounds like the horn problem may well be covered though. Good luck

Bob
Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 PM
REW89
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil pressure sensor failure is not infrequent on C5s and in my opinion the fact that it failed, or is failing, does not make a car a lemon. There are numerous posts here, and on the LS1Forum.com, addressing sensor problems and complete step by step instructions on how to replace the sensor. If you are not mechanically inclined I would not recommend tackling the job but it is not a major undertaking for a shop.

The horn may be something simple. I assume you checked for a blown fuse or even a wire broken, or disconnected. Warranties for used cars usuallly only cover the most major components, and typically NOT bumper-to-bumper like those offered with new cars. It sounds like the horn problem may well be covered though. Good luck

Bob
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Ask the mechanic if he needs to blow through a tube to toot the horn - if not, instruct him to inform the warranty company that it is, indeed, an electric horn. One mystery solved . . .

The oil pressure sensor - even if they deny you this claim, bring the car home after the mechanic fixes your electric horn and you and your hubby embark on a weekend do-it-yourself adventure. Fix it your self using this Tech Tip. It's not that difficult and you'll learn a little about your new baby.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=246&TopicID=1

Best of luck and hang in there.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Thanks to all---after a good nights sleep and some discussion with my husband I am in a much better mood this morning. We have decided to agree with everyone here. I will argue about the horn with the warranty company---I don't want to be screwing around with my airbag (if that is where the problem lies) and it is listed as covered---as for the sensor---if they do not give in---we will not argue about it---I will just bring it home and then have it replaced as the spring approaches. It is off driveable insurance coverage from December to March anyway---so it is really not big deal..(as I seemed to be making it) See--no matter how hard you try---we are still very emotional creatures of habit.

Thanks again for the help..

Lori
Old 10-20-2006, 07:26 AM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't lemon laws apply to new vehicles and isn't yours second hand? The consumer protection laws for your state are online so you can read up about them should you want to.

Rather than bust a gasket, why not call the seller and the warranty company yourself and find out their position before getting all upset about it? Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:31 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

You are completely right--I am much calmer now and thinking much more rationally..I will be calling both today but I am not to concerned about it anymore.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Need MAJOR advise

Quick Reply: Need MAJOR advise