Sponsored by:

[Z06] Warning: bad oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 02:08 PM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warning: bad oil pump

Started my Z06 on the weekend (with a whooping 6000 miles on it), and the "Low Oil Pressure" banner came up on the DIC, and the oil pressure gauge read absolutely zero (but did flick up and back upon initial startup like all the gauges do). Had it flatbedded to GM dealership this morning, and they received notice from GM that they have had problems with the oil pumps. I don't know if this just affects the 2001 Corvettes, but if you get a similar message TURN YOUR CAR OFF IMMEDIATELY because there really is no oil being pumped.

For me the timing fits nicely though, as I have been meaning to take it in to get it set up for the oil consumption test anyway.

No worries!

imp.
Old 09-18-2001, 12:43 AM
Saving41
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Warning: bad oil pump (imp zog)

Thanks for the warning...seems like the lubrication system on the C5 needs a lot of work! :crazy:
Old 09-20-2001, 01:19 PM
imp zog
Racer

Default Re: Warning: bad oil pump (Saving41)

After looking at the C5 Tech/Performance forum, it appears that others are experiencing the same problem. My dealership mechanic said he called GM Tech and they told him that they knew of the problem and told him to replace the pump. He said he didn't know for sure, but that it is probably the pressure release valve sticking in the oil pump. I should be getting it back today, so my fingers are crossed!

imp.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:10 AM
imp zog
Racer

The pump replacement appears to have remedied the problem.

imp.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:19 PM
Pewter C5
Racer

imp zog -- glad to hear they fixed you up OK. Did the dealer say anything about if this was an 01 only problem? If GM knew about it for awhile, then I'm thinking the 02s had this fix going into production (I hope :D).

This is one thing that bugs me about GM. The C5 is in its 6th year of production, and crap like this still shows its ugly head. Maybe its more related to production errors than design errors, and if so you would think GM would tighten its QA alittle bit in the manufacturing arena. I think this is where US and European/Japan manufacturing practices deviate from each other.

[Modified by Pewter C5, 1:22 PM 9/21/2001]
Old 09-21-2001, 03:48 PM
imp zog
Racer

Default Re: Warning: bad oil pump (Pewter C5)

From a similar thread going on right now in the C5 Tech/Performance group, it appears to not just be isolated to the 2001 nor to just the Z06. They were good about replacing it, so I have no beefs with GM about it other than that maybe this should be a service bulletin so as to catch it before people blow up their engines.

imp.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning: bad oil pump

Quick Reply: [Z06] Warning: bad oil pump