Sponsored by:

Passenger window took a crap.. Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:22 PM
mark896
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window took a crap.. Couple of questions

Well, at 6300 miles the passenger window won't go down on my 2003 Z06. I can hear it clicking, and tried the door slam trick, but still no worky.

Anyways, my question is how do I find out if the car is still under warranty? I guess it depends on when the car was built in 2003? I don't mind doing my own repairs but I don't feel comfortable digging into the doors--especially when I don't know what the problem is (for sure).

I'm taking the car to the stealership tomorrow, as I don't have the time to work on it myself.. Anything special I should tell them to do/not to do (besides rip me off)? Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Try pounding on the door from the inside, a lot, while continually hitting the switch. It may take about 100 tries but I bet you that eventually you will get it to work.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:45 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
02canavette
Instructor

Just got 02 back Monday from having the window regulator replaced on the drivers side door. Same problem was not working. I had extended warranty cost me $100 deductible. If it is not under warranty and you dont have extended warranty the total is $474.34. That is $279.54 for the regulator $147.25 for labor plus tax and shop supplies of $22.16. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark896
...(snip)...Anyways, my question is how do I find out if the car is still under warranty? I guess it depends on when the car was built in 2003? I don't mind doing my own repairs but I don't feel comfortable digging into the doors--especially when I don't know what the problem is (for sure)...
The dealer can check GM's Vehicle Information System (VIS) for any remaining factory warranty. The regular factory warranty on the C5 is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. The factory warranty period begins on the date the car is first delivered or put into use, not the build date. However, as the last build day for the 2003 model year C5 was June 20, 2003, the regular factory warranty is quickly running out on most all of the 2003 C5s.

As for the problem, my guess would be the window motor and/or regulator assembly.

Good luck with the fix!

Last edited by GrayC5; 08-23-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
mark896
Pro

Originally Posted by 02canavette
Just got 02 back Monday from having the window regulator replaced on the drivers side door. Same problem was not working. I had extended warranty cost me $100 deductible. If it is not under warranty and you dont have extended warranty the total is $474.34. That is $279.54 for the regulator $147.25 for labor plus tax and shop supplies of $22.16. Good luck.
$500 for a window motor replacement?? You've got to be kidding me.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 PM
mark896
Pro

Originally Posted by bmacZO6
Try pounding on the door from the inside, a lot, while continually hitting the switch. It may take about 100 tries but I bet you that eventually you will get it to work.
HOLY SHAT!! Worked immediately!!

Now, I wonder what made it do it in the first place...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:25 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HOLY SHAT!! Worked immediately!!

Now, I wonder what made it do it in the first place...
Common problem. Now be sure to use it on a regular basis so hopefully it doesn't happen anytime soon again. See following:

Possible remedy for a stuck window
Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
kayakmc
Intermediate

I've had my door apart numerous times. The door panel comes off in 5 min, the window & regulator in another 15. Plenty of room to work the regulator out. My 2c.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
mark896
Pro

Originally Posted by GrayC5
Common problem. Now be sure to use it on a regular basis so hopefully it doesn't happen anytime soon again.
Funny you say that, I NEVER roll the windows down.. Too freakin' hot here right now. I'll change that though..

I looked for a thread explaining how to take the door panel off--any specifics from anyone? By the way, thanks guys.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Phidelt076
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you say that, I NEVER roll the windows down.. Too freakin' hot here right now. I'll change that though..

I looked for a thread explaining how to take the door panel off--any specifics from anyone? By the way, thanks guys.

Here's a link to Vette Essentials website's instructions on removing the door panel. It has pics and is pretty straight forward.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html

Removed mine 3 months ago when my passenger side crapped out. Beating the inside of the door didn't fix it but hitting the motor with a wrench sure did. Only problem is the fix only lasted 2.5 months before it got stuck again. I'll probably replace it before it drops below 100 here in TX.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2006, 10:45 PM
mark896
Pro

Lewisville, eh? I'm from Burleson actually. Guess you guys got it pretty hot this year from what I hear!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Ephedranator
Instructor

My 03 with 31k is having the same problem. I just went out and slammed the door (differing amounts of force) while holding down the auto button.....NOTHING.

Then tried banging on various parts of the door.....nothing.

WHERE SHOULD I BE HITTING THE DOOR EXACTLY?

SHOULD I TURN THE ENGINE ON, or JUST HAVE KEY TO 'ON'?

SHOULD THE DOOR BE CLOSED OR OPEN WHEN BANGING ON IT?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I'been thru the power window motor problem twice. Once on my 1999 coupe, and two weeks ago on 2004 coupe. Both times I could hear the clicking when either button was pressed. It seems as GM stuck us with cheaply built power window motors, that require periodic replacement.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
mark896
Pro

Originally Posted by Ephedranator
My 03 with 31k is having the same problem. I just went out and slammed the door (differing amounts of force) while holding down the auto button.....NOTHING.

Then tried banging on various parts of the door.....nothing.

WHERE SHOULD I BE HITTING THE DOOR EXACTLY?

SHOULD I TURN THE ENGINE ON, or JUST HAVE KEY TO 'ON'?

SHOULD THE DOOR BE CLOSED OR OPEN WHEN BANGING ON IT?
Turn the key to 'ON', no need to start the engine. Sit in your passenger seat, and while repeatedly clicking on the down portion of the window button, bang around the inside handle area (the part you use to shut the door from the inside). It's ok to bang on it pretty hard, just don't throw the door off of the hinges. You may wind up doing this for 2-3 minutes, but it will come loose.

When's the last time you rolled your windows down?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
fovsky
Racer

I've had two vettes, and both had this problem. Punch the door panel right where the upper-right corner of the speaker cover is (passenger side). HARD. Don't actually punch the speaker cover, hit the door panel just to the right of it.

This will do the trick every time. This is right where the window regulator is and hitting it there jars it pretty good and must free those locked gears. You do not need to hold the button down while doing this. I've had way too much experience with this problem and this is the best technique by far.

Eventually, it will lock up more and more often, but this technique can work for literally years. If you have the option of punching your door 3 times a year, or buying a $500 window motor/regulator assembly that will eventually lock up itself...well its a no-brainer to me.

I've personally had two lockups in the past six months, that I quickly rectified with my killer jab.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Streetgrime
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmacZO6

I hear if you hold the switch .. while you drive straight into a telephone pole, that works too.

sorry.. couldnt resist

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger window took a crap.. Couple of questions

Old 10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Ephedranator
Instructor

Turn the key to 'ON', no need to start the engine. Sit in your passenger seat, and while repeatedly clicking on the down portion of the window button, bang around the inside handle area (the part you use to shut the door from the inside). It's ok to bang on it pretty hard, just don't throw the door off of the hinges. You may wind up doing this for 2-3 minutes, but it will come loose.

When's the last time you rolled your windows down?
I drove the car this past weekend, and have rolled the window down within the past few days.....one factor may be the weather. The past two nights have been the first cold ones since I have owned the car. The car was previously garaged, so it probably hasn't seen a 35 deg night. Not sure if the northern vettes have more electrical problems.

When I leave work, I will try more of the banging technique with door closed, and hit around the speaker cover(right of it)
Old 10-25-2006, 03:13 PM
mark896
Pro

Originally Posted by fovsky
I've personally had two lockups in the past six months, that I quickly rectified with my killer jab.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The "Fonzi" method worked or me too. KEY on, Hold the button down, and start wailing away on the center of the door.

Quick Reply: Passenger window took a crap.. Couple of questions