Sponsored by:

Why install a short shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM
lambertvr4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why install a short shifter?

I've contemplated putting in a shorter shifter, but I have to say that I'm reserved to do so. I have never missed a shift with the stock shifter and I've been to the track several times, street racing, and occasional hard driving on the street. Shift times are definitely a little slow, but I'm not going to the track everyday trying to be the fastest guy ever. I also have a 2001 which seems to shift way worse than the 2002+ trannies I've driven.

For the guys who have made the switch, what was you experience before switching, and now?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the more positive feel of the aftermarket shifter. It took a couple of months to get totally used to it, but I wouldn't give it up now. I especially like it on the track.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:13 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I disliked the long throw and rubbery feel - when I upshifted into 3rd, it felt like I could push the shifter forward another couple of millimeters. The B&M Ripper that I installed is much more positive and much tighter. It's not for everyone, some think it's too stiff, but I like it and I'm sticking with it. If you don't mind the feel of the stock shifter, then why change it....just because others here have done it? You drive the car, do what make you happy!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

It's kinda like comparing the feel of driving on 70-series tires vs 40-series. The 70 series ride is going to be smoother and perhaps, quieter, but the 40-series ride will be much more responsive and direct. Some people prefer the smooth, ride on a cloud feel; others get a taste of instant steering response and direct telepathy of the road surface to their hands and choose to have this feeling at all times. And yet others have multiple vehicles, some with the smooth ride and others, the direct, shot-in-the-arm ride.

The same holds true for shifters. Short shifters aren't for everyone. They tend to require more effort and are noisier at times. But if you like instant action and a direct feel for what's going on beyond shoulder motion, there is no substitute.

My advice: Drive a C5 that has a short shifter in it. The first time I drove one with said shifter, I knew one day I would get one. You might feel the same way.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 AM
VetteHunting
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better driving experience. I have a BPP shifter with a decently stiff spring set in it, and it is very notchy. You know exactly where you need to be every shift. It does require more effort to shift, but I love the feel of it. It really ''locks'' into each gear change. I wouldnt revert back to stock if you paid me.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:31 AM
PUREFUN
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Dave68
It's kinda like comparing the feel of driving on 70-series tires vs 40-series. The 70 series ride is going to be smoother and perhaps, quieter, but the 40-series ride will be much more responsive and direct. Some people prefer the smooth, ride on a cloud feel; others get a taste of instant steering response and direct telepathy of the road surface to their hands and choose to have this feeling at all times. And yet others have multiple vehicles, some with the smooth ride and others, the direct, shot-in-the-arm ride.

The same holds true for shifters. Short shifters aren't for everyone. They tend to require more effort and are noisier at times. But if you like instant action and a direct feel for what's going on beyond shoulder motion, there is no substitute.

My advice: Drive a C5 that has a short shifter in it. The first time I drove one with said shifter, I knew one day I would get one. You might feel the same way.
Great response Love my Hurst shifter
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 AM
lambertvr4
Intermediate

So far it seems unanimous that the shifting feels more direct to the transmission due to the clarity in the way it feels when changing gears. I can definitely understand this. The stock shifter isn't bad by any means, but there is room for improvement. Especially under hard acceleration and firmer shifting.

Anybody missing gears with the stocker or the short shifter? Any grinding?

What shift **** are you using (stock, 8-ball, steel ball...)? I always thought the shift **** in the Z06 was horrible until I used as intended during a run down the strip. From my previous cars I was used to having my hand over to the passenger side of the shift ****. The position on the Z06 is totally different, but it works very well when it's time to get to business.

Thanks for the replies. I know this topic is covered all the time, but I'm not looking to jump on the bandwagon just because the shifters simply feel different because they're short. That doesn't justify the mod and $$$ for me. If there's a performance advantage (timed, or enjoyment) I'm sold.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Essentially, it is a "feel" difference that many of us enjoy. However, the 2-3 shift using a short-shifter is far superior (read: faster) than the OEM shifter's 2-3. This is where the shorter throw and more direct feel really shine.

Regarding shift *****: I think the stock **** is a good compromise for pistol-gripping and overhand-gripping. Stick (small diameter) shift ***** are great for pistol-gripping, but poor for overhand. Ball shifter ***** are another compromise tool, but are best for overhand shifting. I prefer pistol-gripping and designed my own. It is heavily biased toward this type of shifting, but doesn't feel too bad when the occasional overhand grip is needed. You can see it in my avatar in full sun. The tint goes well with my C5's mag red color. I hope to make some spherical versions, soon and will report back as to how they feel.

Dave
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Originally Posted by lambertvr4
So far it seems unanimous that the shifting feels more direct to the transmission due to the clarity in the way it feels when changing gears. I can definitely understand this. The stock shifter isn't bad by any means, but there is room for improvement. Especially under hard acceleration and firmer shifting.

What shift **** are you using (stock, 8-ball, steel ball...)? I always thought the shift **** in the Z06 was horrible until I used as intended during a run down the strip. From my previous cars I was used to having my hand over to the passenger side of the shift ****. The position on the Z06 is totally different, but it works very well when it's time to get to business.

Thanks for the replies. I know this topic is covered all the time, but I'm not looking to jump on the bandwagon just because the shifters simply feel different because they're short. That doesn't justify the mod and $$$ for me. If there's a performance advantage (timed, or enjoyment) I'm sold.
Hi lambertvr4 -

I had a little trouble missing shifts with the stocker when I really tried to shift fast - but that was not the issue for me.

I can shift much faster now with my BPP shifter - and I do not miss shifts.

After having my shifter in for 6 months I drove my friends stock Z06 and man it was COMICAL how much farther the shift throw felt.

The stock shifter is a good one, but IMO my billet shifter is a GREAT one.

Cons = higher effort, and mor noise into the cabin at higher RPMs.

Pros = more positive shifting, faster shifts and or me, more fun to drive.

I have the stock shift **** on at this point - might go for a black "billiard ball" material **** with a white 6 speed pattern.

As said above - I would not go back to the stock shifter.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

My biggest reason for the short shifter other than the feel and response was that I could NOT see if my A/C was on or off with the height of the stock shifter in there.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I had my hurst for 3 years... got tired of it and switched to the C6Z assembly... I love it, perfect shifter for my needs.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
gja
Racer

I have driven a Camaro SS with a Hurst and liked the feel. I'm not sure how much lower the shift **** would be in my vette though. Does anyone know the height of the hurst shift **** compared to stock?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Fuego del Sol
8th Gear

Originally Posted by lambertvr4

If there's a performance advantage (timed, or enjoyment) I'm sold.
I have just inastalled a Hurst shifter in mine. I chose to make the change for nothing other than pure driving enjoyment. After a few days of getting used to it, I can say that I really do enjoy the change.

I have missed a couple shifts into 6th by not paying attention to the increased ammount of side force needed to get it there. But, I think that's one of those "Getting used to" things.

I also made the chage for cosmetic reasons. I like the look too.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't emphasize enough...once you get one, then go back and drive a stock shifter again... you would swear you were shifting a John Deere tractor it feels so sloppy. But it's not for everyone. I've got the Hurst in mine, which I think is close in feel to others except maybe the C6 ones (havent tried one of those yet).

They are not terribly expensive and very easy to change out if you didn't like it.

Agreed...if you know someone that has a short throw, drive it then compare.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

the short throw makes the drive even more fun. the shift feels more controled. the gates are more defined. the short throw shifters get the shift **** out of the line of sight to the controls for the hvac. they look cool. feel awesome with a big **** like a cue ball sized shift ****

Get notified of new replies

To Why install a short shifter?

Quick Reply: Why install a short shifter?