Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] GM C5 Z06 bra, anyone seen? Used?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Pseudomind
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM C5 Z06 bra, anyone seen? Used?

Here is the issue, if you have ever seen one they are a nightmare compared to the standard GM C5 bra

They have six openings on the front four of these openings, the two screens and the turn signal lights have eight tabs which are to be inserted each time you install the bra between the top/bottom edges of the lights and screens. Believe me this is a real pain.
Now my question, just what function do the screened vents serve on the Z06? I know they probably allow more air, but in normal everyday driving is this necessary?

The standard C5 bra does not have tabs or openings, clear plastic instead an will come off/on in just a couple of minutes.

I only want to use one, a bra for road trips and not everyday use, so if I purchase a standard C5 bra, should I maybe expect heating problems?

Last edited by Pseudomind; 08-04-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

I'm pretty sure all air required for cooling the radiator comes from below the car. The screened ducts are cosmetic I think, and the brake duct vents are not screened. These may be the only issue if you're covering them up, but still, if you're not at the track it shouldn't matter if your brake duct holes are covered.

I'm interested in replies as well, I will be buying a bra soon for my Z06.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM
slong
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I agree, the Z06 GM nose mask is a beouch to put on. The up side is it worked fantastic. Now if you have a VR set up like I do, you will need the screened vents wide open.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 PM
ricoZg
Burning Brakes

Don't the Z06 screens allow outside air to go into the airbox area? If you block this, the engine would just get it's air the same way a regular C5 does. I don't see this as a problem. But I'm no expert. :o

Mike G.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Steve Zaino
Racer

I installed the GM bra on my '03 Z06 and have had no heating problems whatsoever.

I put my bra on a couple of years ago and have never taken it off.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 AM
LT4 Rocker
Intermediate

I have heard that a bra will damage the paint if left on for a while. I have one that came with the car but hav'nt used it for that reason.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Z-ZANY
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

3m paint protection here on my 04 Z. Permanent and no worries at all.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I use the GM Z06 bra for track events only. On track I would not want the screens or brake duct vents covered. For street/highway driving I wouldn't worry at all.

Covering the brake duct vents on track would kill my brake cooling. Since I also have the DRM duct extensions going into the rotors. They do work. Covering the screens would reduce fresh air to the air filter. I wouldn't want to loose that either.

As far as install goes. Yeah it's a bit of a pain but not horrible. The only place I have trouble is with the upper tabs for the turn signals. They don't go in so good. I leave the very outside upper corner one tucked under the bra. I might just cut it off. I have no flapping at track speeds (100-140mph). So it works and serves its purpose. It looks nasty after a track weekend... I also use the Colgan mirror bras. For long highway trips I would suggest you get those too. $30.

Here is how I install the bra. Pop hood. Put the little peice on the hood. I only use the 2 long cords and don't bother with the 2 short ones. Put the top of the bra in place on the lip in the engine bay. Stretch bra some and connect one side to the fender snaps. Unfold all flaps so they are not tucked under bra. Stretch bra across the surface. Plug in tabs on the side connected just enough to get them in place. Now stretch the bra and connect the other fender connectors. Then get the snaps under the nose. Now finish pushing tabs into place. Takes me 15min tops. For $65 I'm not complaining.

Graham
Old 08-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I use the GM Z06 bra for track events only. On track I would not want the screens or brake duct vents covered. For street/highway driving I wouldn't worry at all.

Covering the brake duct vents on track would kill my brake cooling. Since I also have the DRM duct extensions going into the rotors. They do work. Covering the screens would reduce fresh air to the air filter. I wouldn't want to loose that either.

As far as install goes. Yeah it's a bit of a pain but not horrible. The only place I have trouble is with the upper tabs for the turn signals. They don't go in so good. I leave the very outside upper corner one tucked under the bra. I might just cut it off. I have no flapping at track speeds (100-140mph). So it works and serves its purpose. It looks nasty after a track weekend... I also use the Colgan mirror bras. For long highway trips I would suggest you get those too. $30.

Here is how I install the bra. Pop hood. Put the little peice on the hood. I only use the 2 long cords and don't bother with the 2 short ones. Put the top of the bra in place on the lip in the engine bay. Stretch bra some and connect one side to the fender snaps. Unfold all flaps so they are not tucked under bra. Stretch bra across the surface. Plug in tabs on the side connected just enough to get them in place. Now stretch the bra and connect the other fender connectors. Then get the snaps under the nose. Now finish pushing tabs into place. Takes me 15min tops. For $65 I'm not complaining.

Graham
how do you install the top snap in the wheel well - or - where does
it connect too...the directions are very poor...any pics would help
Old 08-05-2006, 11:12 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Ed
how do you install the top snap in the wheel well - or - where does
it connect too...the directions are very poor...any pics would help
You need to take the tab and bend it. After you get the bottom and middle snap connected. Take the bent tab and hook it around the fender lip. You need to pull up on the bra section pretty hard. Stick your finger up in there and you can feel where the tab needs to go. Once the tab is in place then pull the snap up to it and snap it on. It will fit tight, as it should.

You're right, the directions suck... Took me an hour the first time to get it all worked out so it was snug.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:00 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I just got the standard Corvette bra, and then cut out the air intake areas. Worked great, but only used once, then heard about paint damage, and threw in a box.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:22 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 135 Posts

I've got one and don't like it, have the mirrror covers as well. It came with the car and sits in my attic. Previous owner used it twice. If anyone wants it shoot me a PM - $50 + shipping.

I tired to put it on once - pain in the azz...what really scared me was the straps for the hood piece. I had visions of those getting hung up in the belts ...I'm doing a great job of selling this thing huh?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Ok 2 things.

Paint damage. Before you put it on. Clean the inside and make sure it is not full of dirt/grit/junk. Take a quick wax product and do the nose of the car. Then install the bra. I've used mine now for about 10 track events and the long trips to/from them. Including rain both on the trip and on track. I have no problems. People who put a bra on the car and leave it there for really long periods of time see paint fade because when water gets under these bras it doesn't breath like it should. For a vacation/trip/track it isn't on long enough to hurt anything. Relax.

The straps. Yeah I had visions of the engine heat just burning those top straps right off. Then getting hooked into the serpentine belt and being down right ugly. Well those 2 straps look like new. And most of my track events have been in 90+ degree weather. No problems so far. Just pop the hood after you come off the track if you do track events. That peice is so small I have considered not even using it anymore. Protecting the nose section is the biggest issue for me.

And bra or no bra your hood is a nig target for rock chips on the highway or track. I'm about to give up on that.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:45 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

[QUOTE=dbirdz06]I The screened ducts are cosmetic I think, and the brake duct vents are not screened.

Not so. The air ducts are there to feed more air into the air filter box area. Nothing on the Z06 is put on for cosmetics except the emblems. GM did everything with a purpose in mind. Even the body side mouldings have an actual pupose, aside from helping to eliminate door dings.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 81c3
Even the body side mouldings have an actual pupose, aside from helping to eliminate door dings.
What else are the BSM's good for other than door dings?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
What else are the BSM's good for other than door dings?
Supposedly aerodynamics. But I have yet to see any proof of that.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out " c5Creations " I think they are a vendor on the CF, they have one made of some type of stretch material that you can put on in 15 seconds, the air will breath through the material and you can see the running lights as well. Another thing that I liked about this bra is that it comes in colors to match your car and you can fold it up small enough to put into your jacket pocket.

I have had one for almost three years and only use it for long runs or SCMR's and so far it been working great. I don't remember exacty what I paid for it but it was reasonable.

Get notified of new replies

To GM C5 Z06 bra, anyone seen? Used?

Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I have the Z06 bra but only use it on the track. Just not enough stuff flying around on the highway to be concerned about it. At the track you have a lot of stuff coming off the other cars wheels at very high speeds so it helps to protect the nose. The little hood protector keeps the edge of the hood in good condition since there are a fair number of stones and rubber pieces that hit right at the hood opening. I now fasten the center two loops on the hood piece since I finally saw one that wasn't fastened and saw it ballooning up and flapping in the center. Once you get the hang of fastening them aren't to bad.

I would never leave a bra on the car no matter who made it. They can all cause paint damage. One of the things that happens is dirt being thrown forward from the wheels. It likes to go behind the bra. When I go to the track I actually put tape around the end of the bra where it wraps into the wheel well. This reduces the amount of dirt that gets behind the bra. I also wash the bra in a tub once I get back and make sure all of the grit is cleaned out of the back side of the bra. I don't know of a make of bra that will not get dirt behind it. There just is no way to prevent it since the wheel well end of all bras is exposed to dirt thrown from the wheels.

Bill
Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-ZANY
3m paint protection here on my 04 Z. Permanent and no worries at all.
Me too and I love it, hassle free
Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

I would never leave a bra on the car no matter who made it. They can all cause paint damage. One of the things that happens is dirt being thrown forward from the wheels. It likes to go behind the bra. When I go to the track I actually put tape around the end of the bra where it wraps into the wheel well. This reduces the amount of dirt that gets behind the bra. I also wash the bra in a tub once I get back and make sure all of the grit is cleaned out of the back side of the bra. I don't know of a make of bra that will not get dirt behind it. There just is no way to prevent it since the wheel well end of all bras is exposed to dirt thrown from the wheels.

Bill
Good point Bill. Everytime I take mine off it is packed with dirt and tire worms where the snaps are. I finally considered taping it up to seal it and reduce the beating. Mine is starting to fray by the top snap from my wheels throwing stuff up at it.

I haven't had that much luck with the small peice on the hood but I keep on using it. I have some pit marks now half way up the hood. And my windshield looks like it got hit by a sand blaster.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the car will need to be repainted in a couple of years unless I find a "Whole Car Bra"

Graham

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM C5 Z06 bra, anyone seen? Used?