Sponsored by:

Vert or Coupe? Pro's/Con's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:32 PM
vettefan1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vert or Coupe? Pro's/Con's

Hey everyone. I've been around the forum for some time now learing as much as I can about Corvettes. I currently have a 96 Camaro SS, but this coming Fall, I will be financially ready to sweap up a Vette! Anyway, I've been looking at my options. I like both the coupes and I have been warming up to the verts lately and to fully experience both, I have to ride in them. Since I'm here, I'm just curious what both vert owners/coupe owners like and dislike about their rides. I know with a coupe you can take off the roof, but with a vert you get the whole "open experience"!! Any feed back would be great!! I can't wait till Fall!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 457 Posts

Can't beat a vert. Horrible blind spots when the top is up, but that's not too often. I added heated seats last winter to make top down driving better, and could not be happier with them.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:55 PM
vettefan1
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve8
Can't beat a vert. Horrible blind spots when the top is up, but that's not too often. I added heated seats last winter to make top down driving better, and could not be happier with them.

Great, thanks for the reponse. Were the heated seats a hard install? I'm in Ontario, Canada, which considered pretty North!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:58 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a Z06
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 PM
vettefan1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT-4 CE
Just get a Z06
I wish!!! But, I can't afford one of those....
Old 08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
dshriver
Advanced

After owning a vert for alittle over a year now it boggles my mind that GM ever sells a hard top. I love my vert. There is absolutely nothing better than a vette with the top down.

My car is a DD and any time the temp is above 60 (and its not raining or snowing!) the top is down.

There is a blind spot with the top up, but its no worse than the ZO6's or FRC's.

I was orginally disappointed that the C5 didn't have a power top. But I can put the top up or down in 20 seconds by hand.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

If you want to do any kind of drag racing or HPDE driving you'll want the coupe. This way you don't have to get a roll bar and you can still take the roof panel out.

If you're not doing any kind of racing I'd get a vert for sure.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:08 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Apart from less space to carry things...The only negative for a Vert is track days.
Under a certain ET requries welded in roll cage in a Vert for dragstrips
Verts cannot play in high speed events withourt a welded in roll bar cage in certain NCCA and SCAA classification.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
aficionado
Racer

The Coupe is my only car, so I need the truck space.

I can go to Home Depot and pick up 6ft 2 x 4's and slide them into the Vette, no problem.

As a matter of fact the vette will hold more stuff than most cars. I also have both panels for the roof, so half the year I have the glass and it feels 'open' all the time.
The down side is having to take the roof off and storing it in the truck.

So I'd say if I was married and the wife had a minivan, SUV, whatever, I'd get a Vert, being single with one car, I had to get the coupe.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefan1
Great, thanks for the reponse. Were the heated seats a hard install? I'm in Ontario, Canada, which considered pretty North!

The seat heaters were not too bad an install. I did the insulation kit at the same time, but removing the seats is a piece of cake. I have actually thought about removing them every winter so I could give it a thorough cleaning, but we'll see.
As a few other people have said tracking is a problem with a vert.
Today is actually a rare day that is too hot here in Mass. for top down driving.
I can't imagine not owning a vert, especially since mine is not a DD.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You know - I've read more threads about the debate coupe or convertible than I care to think about...and the same things always come up - the coupe holds more stuff. We're talking about a sportscar here folks - not a minivan or an SUV. If the most compelling reason we can come up to get a coupe is that it holds more stuff, why bother and not just get a truck?

I realize that the coupe will hold maybe one or two extra suitcases on a trip - but certainly not if the top is stowed.

The compelling arguements that can be made is a coupe is a lot cheaper than either a convertible or a Z06, and that if you participate in HPDE, you can compete in a coupe, where you'd need a rollbar in a convertible.

Personally - I don't care about being able to carry 2x4's in a Corvette or competing in an HPDE. I bought my car to cruise and enjoy. And there is no way that a coupe with the targa top off is the same thing as driving a convertible with the top down.

Ride in both, drive both if you can and make your own choice...which one trips your trigger?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Coupes have better security and aerodynamics (higher top speed, better mileage).
Old 08-02-2006, 03:43 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

I love my vert. It's not my DD but I drive it as often as I can. It is very tight (confining with poor visibility) with the top up but I'm here in SE Ga where it's vert weather almost everyday. But having lived in Buffalo NY for 4 years many years ago, I would go for the coupe noting you live up in the rust belt. Exception: if I had a garage, if it was not my DD, and I was young and crazy again. Remember though, vert or coupe, that little spoiler gizmo up front is only 3" off the ground. Think snow plow.

DBD

Last edited by dunbindun(tov); 08-02-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Illini82
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07

I'll just never own a vert, no matter what the make. I've always been a coupe guy and don't plan on changing

I've got nothing against verts, just not my thing. Buy what you like!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 PM
aficionado
Racer

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
You know - I've read more threads about the debate coupe or convertible than I care to think about...and the same things always come up - the coupe holds more stuff. We're talking about a sportscar here folks - not a minivan or an SUV. If the most compelling reason we can come up to get a coupe is that it holds more stuff, why bother and not just get a truck?

I realize that the coupe will hold maybe one or two extra suitcases on a trip - but certainly not if the top is stowed.

The compelling arguements that can be made is a coupe is a lot cheaper than either a convertible or a Z06, and that if you participate in HPDE, you can compete in a coupe, where you'd need a rollbar in a convertible.

Personally - I don't care about being able to carry 2x4's in a Corvette or competing in an HPDE. I bought my car to cruise and enjoy. And there is no way that a coupe with the targa top off is the same thing as driving a convertible with the top down.

Ride in both, drive both if you can and make your own choice...which one trips your trigger?

Well some people live in the real world. If I couldn't fit those 2x4's I'd have to ask someone to lend me their car/truck OR get them to drive me OR buy a truck.

What do you do when you need to pick something up, obviously you only have a Vert and no other vehicle, how do you get by??
Old 08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
slappy3347
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a coupe man myself. The coupe looks sleeker and sportier than the vert, especially when the vert top is up. Taking the targa top in and out is very easy and you still get a lot of open air effect when the top is out. Of course, either way you go, if you are buying a vette, you have made the right choice. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 PM
01MY74CvGray
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

My Vert is not a daily driver but is on the road in the summer months nearly all the time. Love the open air. As mentioned, with the top up, visibility is not the greatest. With that said, I have only had the top up twice when driving.l All depends what/when your using the car for? Good luck in your search!

Get notified of new replies

To Vert or Coupe? Pro's/Con's

Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM
NCSU SEE 5
Drifting

Location: Greensboro, NC "REALITY IS MERELY AN ILLUSION, ALBEIT A VERY PERSISTENT ONE"...ALBERT EINSTEIN"
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by dshriver
After owning a vert for alittle over a year now it boggles my mind that GM ever sells a hard top. I love my vert. There is absolutely nothing better than a vette with the top down.

My car is a DD and any time the temp is above 60 (and its not raining or snowing!) the top is down.

There is a blind spot with the top up, but its no worse than the ZO6's or FRC's.

I was orginally disappointed that the C5 didn't have a power top. But I can put the top up or down in 20 seconds by hand.

What he said!

Old 08-02-2006, 04:12 PM
newyiddy20
Melting Slicks

FRC=handshake COUPE=warm hug VERT=SEX
Old 08-02-2006, 04:19 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by aficionado
Well some people live in the real world. If I couldn't fit those 2x4's I'd have to ask someone to lend me their car/truck OR get them to drive me OR buy a truck.

What do you do when you need to pick something up, obviously you only have a Vert and no other vehicle, how do you get by??
Well - FWIW, I live in the real world. I waited until I was able to buy a sportscar and still own an SUV DD. I didn't buy my car new - and didn't spend $50K+, so I can afford to have more than just one car.

If I had to haul 2x4's all the time - I would either find a way to buy a cheap little P.O.S. P/U for that, or I wouldn't own a Corvette as it is obviously not a practical car to own.

Since you do not know me - you really don't have the privilege of stating that I live in something other than the real world.

Quick Reply: Vert or Coupe? Pro's/Con's