Sponsored by:

Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
garymilgrom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct

I don't want to debate whether our Corvettes are exotic cars. I think they are, and the ideas outlined below apply to us as owners. Reprinted from a post on NSX Prime. Joe has owned many different exotic marques. The last paragraph is especially appropriate and in my mind the reason I wave at all other Corvettes.

My personal code of conduct as an exotic owner
(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz)

My cars will always be clean and well-presented. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics as indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I met.

Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In-particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads. When asked to race, I will positively comment on the challengers car and invite them to inspect mine at an appropriate stopping point, while asking if I might see their vehicle.

Operating my cars as Zora Arkus-Duntov and Dave Hill intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow-up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:16 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Good post.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Words to live by. Great post!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:35 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part about not speeding around corners or hills is especially conducive to being an excellent driver and this is the same advice I always give the young teen and twenty-somethings I run across.

The rest of the rules are excellent as well, and I believe Vette owners should hold themselves to a higher standard, or we'll just be domestic ricers (with a LOT OF POWA )
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
DavesC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter 6
Words to live by. Great post!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,441 Likes on 14,050 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice list of do's and don'ts.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

I'd like to think we all operate this way. Compared to the care I gave my then new Datsun (not Nissan) Z, age has taken its toll on me (no more daily washes).

DBD
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Great set of rules, very cool!...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:12 PM
rcingram
USAFVET
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct

Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
ShooterMcgavin
Racer

Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
teagueO
Instructor

would like to copy with your permission to share with others.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM
garymilgrom
Racer

I think it's OK to duplicate just make sure you credit Joe. If you copy his copyright line you are fine.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:13 PM
c5chines
Racer

Default Wtf???

You left out: I will not put my expensive exotic car parts in the dumpster for a photo op. Chuck.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:16 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

That's a great list....

I already subscribe to it
Old 06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

And what does any of that have to do with owning an exotic or even a Corvette?

It seem to me that you are saying that if one owns some other car than there is no need to drive with courtesy and due attention or have pride in the presentation of your vehicle. Sorry, but that's the kind of thinking that brings on the snob comments in the first place.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:37 PM
garymilgrom
Racer

Default Huh?

Chocoholic:
I write "I like vanilla" and you read "I hate chocolate."

It was not my intent to say others don't need to be courteous etc. - just that exotic car owners are more visible than others by virtue of their vehicle, and should act accordingly.

Get notified of new replies

To Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct

Old 06-22-2006, 03:49 PM
LoftyC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by garymilgrom
Chocoholic:

It was not my intent to say others don't need to be courteous etc. - just that exotic car owners are more visible than others by virtue of their vehicle, and should act accordingly.
Just remove the word "Exotic" (some think snob). These are rules every car owner should live by.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by garymilgrom
Chocoholic:

Driving a status symbol, we appear to be a little more well to do, successful and possess intelligence. We should exhibit that intelligence. But, does that mean I should slow down?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Any car not made outta sheet metal with a rear-mounted tranny for weight distribution plus the aerodynamics of a car that rivals the Euro exotics earns the title. People don't want to say exotic because it's not 150 thousand bucks.

The vette is a road-racer, world-class handling sports car, and I am a supporter for life.

Quick Reply: Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct